Calling all Stage IV's

2»

Comments

• Wenchie
    Wenchie Member Posts: 88
    kimby said:

Wenchie
    Don't you believe it! I just had a surgeon (in January) tell my husband to take me home and to live my dreams...I had 6 mos at most and half of them would be too sick to enjoy. I immediately found a radiation oncologist that radiated my liver mets and we are still working on more treatments. I am also on systemic chemo, but I have a much longer life expectancy than that surgeon thought. You know surgeons, if you can't cut it out you're dead>>>NOT!

Go quickly and get more opinions! Find someone willing to save your life. Doctors don't know everything. Don't give up until YOU are ready to.

Kimby

Kimby and ...(darn it, I can't remember who wrote the other post
    I've been to my Radiologist, my surgeon, MDAnderson, sent films to Johns Hopkins, working with my Oncologist and not a single one of them is encouraging! I'm trying to get my insurance company to approve a lung biopsy so I can get into a clinical trial and start chemo again too! Apparently, I had a "solitary nodule" which would have been resectable last October but THE RADIOLOGIST MISSED IT and now I have 5 or more. Anyways, it's been 6 months with no treatment and I'm very anxious to start. I looked at surgery on the lungs and was turned down, RFA and was discouraged by both my Oncologist and Radiologist so for now, I'm trying to eat healthy and not get too depressed until I can get that damn biopsy. Geez, I have to admit I cheated and consumed way too many jellybeans! Thanks to both of you. I just found this website this evening and it's the first website I've found that is the least bit encouraging. xoxox
  • Wenchie
    kimby said:

Wenchie
    Don't you believe it! I just had a surgeon (in January) tell my husband to take me home and to live my dreams...I had 6 mos at most and half of them would be too sick to enjoy. I immediately found a radiation oncologist that radiated my liver mets and we are still working on more treatments. I am also on systemic chemo, but I have a much longer life expectancy than that surgeon thought. You know surgeons, if you can't cut it out you're dead>>>NOT!

Go quickly and get more opinions! Find someone willing to save your life. Doctors don't know everything. Don't give up until YOU are ready to.

Kimby

I've been to my Radiologist, my surgeon, MDAnderson, sent films to Johns Hopkins, working with my Oncologist and not a single one of them is encouraging! I'm trying to get my insurance company to approve a lung biopsy so I can get into a clinical trial and start chemo again too! Apparently, I had a "solitary nodule" which would have been resectable last October but THE RADIOLOGIST MISSED IT and now I have 5 or more. Anyways, it's been 6 months with no treatment and I'm very anxious to start. I looked at surgery on the lungs and was turned down, RFA and was discouraged by both my Oncologist and Radiologist so for now, I'm trying to eat healthy and not get too depressed until I can get that damn biopsy. Geez, I have to admit I cheated and consumed way too many jellybeans! Thanks to both of you. I just found this website this evening and it's the first website I've found that is the least bit encouraging. xoxox
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Wenchie said:

No Treatment?
    Wow, not encouraging is one thing but 6 months with no treatment? What are they thinking? I simply don't understand. Would they let this happen to a family member? Stay here, we can help with the attitude at least. Sheesh....

Kimby
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member

Stage IV
    Ya Wenchie... listen to Kimby!! There are a lot of us, who have varying degrees of "Stage IV" and some of us just don't fit into the mold of what doctors say the statistics are. Sheesh... go home to die?? Is that an order??? ;)

Once they found that my colon cancer had spread to my adrenal gland and lungs, I was given the "The prognosis is not good" talk. It seems Stage 1 - III the medical profession seems to think there is always a possibility of a cure, but once you cross that like to Stage IV, your days are numbered.

My oncologist is a brilliant woman, but she had to give me the bad news... the news all Stage IV folk seem to get. But, lucky for me, as much as my "prognosis was not good" she was not willing to just throw her hands up and say there's nothing else we can do... she took my case and got other opinions.

The long and the short of it... others recommended surgery for the adrenal and if the lung mets started growing quickly (which was the expectation), then we would do chemo to slow down the progression and/or shrink them. The adrenal surgery happened and appears to have been successful... and now we are in "wait and see" mode on the lung mets... we are waiting to see if they plan on growing. So far, I have been 17 months without chemo while we wait... and no one is talking death is imminent anymore. Lots of other words have been used ... that I have "indolent" cancer, that my cancer is now being very "lazy", that it is soooo slow growing it's agonizingly slow... but nothing about death is around the corner ;)

So I have gone from a death sentence to having very lazy cancer... sometimes Lazy is good :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

Wenchie

So glad you found my thread. This is exactly why I posted it.There just never seemed to be anything positive out there if you were Stage iv but as you can see there are people out there
    surviving -some thriving and living with this disease.I have been lurking on this site for awhile but just recently started posting. It really has been great.

I have not heard from anyone about juicing but from looking at other posts seems like scouty and 2b healed may be a wealth of information. I believe there is a thread about juicing.

When I was first diagnosed I went to a naturopath nutritionist and have been working with him ever since. I still did traditional therapy (chemo-surgery) but we detoxified, supported my body with supplements during chemo and now and I have made major changes to my diet. I am continually trying to learn about other ways to try to beat this naturally. and had hoped to hear others advice on juicing, diet etc.

Please don't give up-keep searching-keep coming here and new advances happen all the time.
    Hope to hear from you soon

Dawn
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    dmdwins said:

wow-lisa
    It was great hearing from you and WOW - I think you are doing fabulous!! Your story is very encouraging to me. I was diagnosed about 1 yr and 6 months ago. I also have tried to keep our lives as normal as possible in the midst of everything - attending the girls sport activities,going to church and spending time with family. I have never been that concerned for me, because my faith is strong- It is when I think of the possibility of the girls having to grow up without me that the sadness and fear return.

Oddly, I think I was stronger emotionally when I was in active treatment- feeling like I was fighting the battle (almost a year since last chemo May 08)Now it is just waiting and hoping until the next scan (end of May)Our lives are almost back to pre-dx with some changes- I just don't have the same -I can do it all Mom stamina as before.

It is such wonderful news that you have no active cancer.I'm interested to hear about your maintenance chemo. It seems that it can be treated more like a chronic illness which is very encouraging. I am definetly in it for quantity of life with my kids not necessarily quality(though I feel really good right now- other than the fatigue)

I would love to hear about your kids. They are very lucky to have a Mom like you.

Thanks for responding!!

Dawn

it's toughest thinking about my kids
    Hi Dawn,

Yah- thinking about maybe leaving my kids with no mom is definitely the worst thing of all about having cancer. My kids are 16, 13, and 9. I feel positive and fairly strong most of the time, but I sometimes catch myself talking about my kids' wedding (it's come up because a nephew is getting married out of state this summer and we're making travel plans)- also about grandkids. I think the other day my oldest daughter said something about grandma and asked me if I'd babysit her kids someday. I replied, "of course I will!", then it hit me like a ton of bricks that I may not be here then. Things definitely come up like that- also hearing about someone from high school who recently died of cancer- thinking about the possibility of my name being on that "deceased" list. Awful thoughts! I hate that and try to push those thoughts out of my mind!
    I am planning on being here a long time yet to come!!!! I have to!!!!

So, I press on as so many of you do too & try to make life seem as normal as possible for my husband and kids. I start my maintenance chemo today- I go in for infusion with just Avastin in about an hour and a half and I start on the Xeloda again today. This time, however, my dosage will just be 1,000 mg a day. I should be able to handle that pretty easily (I hope- my hands are still peeling a bit from before- I had hoped they'd be completely normal again during my short break from it). Well, it's "chronic" treatment- I just need to remind myself of how much better I'm doing than some people who deal with pain everyday, etc. That may not sound very nice to others, but it's what helps me get through what I have to do.

Anyhow, thanks for posting this thread, Dawn.

Take care,
    Lisa
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    lisa42 said:

Hi Dawn,

Yah- thinking about maybe leaving my kids with no mom is definitely the worst thing of all about having cancer. My kids are 16, 13, and 9. I feel positive and fairly strong most of the time, but I sometimes catch myself talking about my kids' wedding (it's come up because a nephew is getting married out of state this summer and we're making travel plans)- also about grandkids. I think the other day my oldest daughter said something about grandma and asked me if I'd babysit her kids someday. I replied, "of course I will!", then it hit me like a ton of bricks that I may not be here then. Things definitely come up like that- also hearing about someone from high school who recently died of cancer- thinking about the possibility of my name being on that "deceased" list. Awful thoughts! I hate that and try to push those thoughts out of my mind!

So, I press on as so many of you do too & try to make life seem as normal as possible for my husband and kids. I start my maintenance chemo today- I go in for infusion with just Avastin in about an hour and a half and I start on the Xeloda again today. This time, however, my dosage will just be 1,000 mg a day. I should be able to handle that pretty easily (I hope- my hands are still peeling a bit from before- I had hoped they'd be completely normal again during my short break from it). Well, it's "chronic" treatment- I just need to remind myself of how much better I'm doing than some people who deal with pain everyday, etc. That may not sound very nice to others, but it's what helps me get through what I have to do.

Take care,
    Lisa

we do what we have to!
    And the fact that we compare ourselves to what others are experiencing and are thankful is a POSITIVE coping mechanism! We are surviving and we are thankful every day for the things that get us through! It is very sad to hear of the beast taking down another person, but it is also good to know that it hasn't taken US down yet! To be honest, after I say a prayer for their loves ones, I say a prayer of thanks that it wasn't me! I thank God for every day my children can call me and text me, every day I can post online so my family and friends know how I'm doing. Even with the upcoming surgery in May that may leave me changed dramatically, I thank God for the opportunity of the surgery; as we all know that as long as the possibility of treatment remains, we are lucky indeed! I pray your maintenance chemo goes well with you and that you have the opportunity to enjoy all of the things in life you look forward to; seeing your children get married and babysitting the grandchildren! Mine were 17 and 20 when I was diagnosed, so I was closer to that goal that you are currently, but I have seen my first marry and have a child. What great blessings indeed! Now I hope to see my 2nd one get married and have children; she graduates college next year and I look forward to seeing that! Next year will be another high school reunion and I look forward to that! Life is good and God has blessed me greatly! I am sure He has you as well!
    mary
  • dmdwins
    lisa42 said:

Hi Dawn,

Take care,
    Lisa

awful thoughts too
    I too have moments of those pesky "awful thoughts" I will be sitting in church (yes awful thoughts even there) and will think "Oh that would be a nice song at my funeral"- or will catch myself looking at the Obituaries and thinking how great it would be if I could live as long as they. But as you said we must push those thoughts out of our mind. We must try to live in the here and now or the unknown of the future will make us bonkers.

Good luck with your maintenance therapy and let me know how you are doing. I will keep you in my prayers if you don't mind.

p.s My kids are almost 14 and 12 -ON one hand it is hard to watch them grow up and on the other I am so happy to see them get older because it means Im still here!

Take Care,
    Dawn
  • Wenchie
    dmdwins said:

Wenchie

So glad you found my thread. This is exactly why I posted it.There just never seemed to be anything positive out there if you were Stage iv but as you can see there are people out there
    surviving -some thriving and living with this disease.I have been lurking on this site for awhile but just recently started posting. It really has been great.

I have not heard from anyone about juicing but from looking at other posts seems like scouty and 2b healed may be a wealth of information. I believe there is a thread about juicing.

When I was first diagnosed I went to a naturopath nutritionist and have been working with him ever since. I still did traditional therapy (chemo-surgery) but we detoxified, supported my body with supplements during chemo and now and I have made major changes to my diet. I am continually trying to learn about other ways to try to beat this naturally. and had hoped to hear others advice on juicing, diet etc.

Please don't give up-keep searching-keep coming here and new advances happen all the time.
    Hope to hear from you soon

Dawn

dmdwins
    Dawn, thanks for posting but just what exactly did your Nutritionist recommend? I try to get the 2 tsp. of turmeric down each day, I recently bought a Vita-Mix and have been blending all kinds of drinks and soups and including wheat grass in them and eating cabbage (yuck). I finally got an ok from United Healthcare for a biopsy so that I can start chemo AGAIN. I'd like to hear what you're eating! Thanks, Wenchie
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Stage IV survivor 4/1/2 years very unconventionally!!!
    If you want more details you can read my web page here. Here is a brief recap.

Dxed 02/04, went for 2nd opionion at a major cancer center (key to my survival in my mind) to find it was stage IV with mets to liver and one lung.

My only "symptom" was a perforated colon followed by acute peritonitis and a 3 week hospital stay in late 2003. My cancer was missed then but found a few months later when I was only about 85%-90% back from the nasty infection. I started chemo 04/04 (surgery was not an option so it was folfox with avastin) and the tumors shrunk at first but then stagnated. The chemo was kicking my butt bigtime so I decided to take a break and try alternatives (alkaline diet, juicing, supplements, and lots of other things). My CEA went down and I ended up NED and having surgery to take down my colostomy.

That was 01/06 and I am now at the 4 1/2 month NED mark (last chemo treatment). Last summer I had a few testing scares (new spot, elevated CEA?) and had to enforce positive energy on myself. After a weight gain from "instant menopause" I signed up for a running school and ran in a 5K 10 weeks later. I also signed up for ballroom and swing dance lessons. That plan worked as the tests ended up being no big deal and I have run in 2 more 5Ks including New Years Day!!!

Today I had an MRI to check my left knee that I hurt originally running, it got better until I hurt it again in a dance lesson. I'm only bringing this up to let you know that the **** cells can be beat and life does settle down and almost become normal again. Notice I said almost!!!

Lisa P.

PS. If you want to learn more about diets etc, I found the book "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" by Patrick Quillan invaluable. You can goggle chemical balance of foods for free if you want to learn more about an alkaline diet. DO NOT buy products!!!
  • sharpy102
    sharpy102 Member Posts: 368 Member
    scouty said:

Dxed 02/04, went for 2nd opionion at a major cancer center (key to my survival in my mind) to find it was stage IV with mets to liver and one lung.

My only "symptom" was a perforated colon followed by acute peritonitis and a 3 week hospital stay in late 2003. My cancer was missed then but found a few months later when I was only about 85%-90% back from the nasty infection. I started chemo 04/04 (surgery was not an option so it was folfox with avastin) and the tumors shrunk at first but then stagnated. The chemo was kicking my butt bigtime so I decided to take a break and try alternatives (alkaline diet, juicing, supplements, and lots of other things). My CEA went down and I ended up NED and having surgery to take down my colostomy.

That was 01/06 and I am now at the 4 1/2 month NED mark (last chemo treatment). Last summer I had a few testing scares (new spot, elevated CEA?) and had to enforce positive energy on myself. After a weight gain from "instant menopause" I signed up for a running school and ran in a 5K 10 weeks later. I also signed up for ballroom and swing dance lessons. That plan worked as the tests ended up being no big deal and I have run in 2 more 5Ks including New Years Day!!!

Today I had an MRI to check my left knee that I hurt originally running, it got better until I hurt it again in a dance lesson. I'm only bringing this up to let you know that the **** cells can be beat and life does settle down and almost become normal again. Notice I said almost!!!

Lisa P.

PS. If you want to learn more about diets etc, I found the book "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" by Patrick Quillan invaluable. You can goggle chemical balance of foods for free if you want to learn more about an alkaline diet. DO NOT buy products!!!

questions, doubts....
    Dear Kimby, Scouty and others,

I just found this site, and I apologize in advance for the lack of my English language knowledge. I'm writing on behalf of my mommy. Ok, so she was diagnosized in May, 2006 with colon cancer which already was pretty big (like a nice big palm of a man). So, in June 2006 she had a surgery where they removed half meter of her colon, and by the beginning of July she started chemo. (Avastin, Campto, 5-fluoro-uracyl). By the way, I haven't heard about this Folfox, and Folfiri, seems to me that some of you got this next to Avastin. (I'll check into it on the net, maybe it's just a "fantasy" name for 5-fluoro-uracyl). So anyway, her CEA went down really neat, but she continued the chemo every second week. She felt really sick because of the side effects, but she never gave up. Then in March 2008, PET showed met. on liver, at the colon, and lung. She got into the hospital for surgery, and when they "opened her up" (sorry, don't know if this the proper term or not) they didn't see any cancer on liver, and lung. However they found some more at the abdominal part, so they took all out what they saw, and then she continued getting Avastin (with the above combination). By summer, June 2008, another met. appeared, so she went through another surgery and they removed her uterus as there were met.tumors behind them attached. Then she got to continue Avastin, but by October 2008 she felt she's gonna get killed by the chemo, so she stopped. (which probably was a mistake) In November they did a scan, and she seemed completely empty. However, in December she had a very bad pain in the abdomen, so after new year, she went to hospital again. They did a scan and turned out her whole stomach is full of tumors, all met. and one of her kidney failed already, and there's no way for surgery, and no need for chemo. This shocked us a lot, and we couldn't believe that from November 2008 scan the january 2009 scan has such a large difference. Well, later turned out, that back in November they forgot to use any contrast, so of course, she seemed "empty". Now, she is here at home, no chemo, nothing. She has bad pains already, on morphine patch (150), and no appetite at all (gets nutridrink) and although I'm not a doctor at all, but I learned to give infusion, and giving her a 28 day long B17 treatment. I found out about B17 on the web, and what I read, that it helps. I don't know what else I can do. And I've got so jealous that you guys are so positive...how could I make my mommy be more positive? She sleeps most of the day, and when she's awake she cries how she will not see me finish school (I just stopped school this February, so I can help her 24/7), how she will not see me getting married, and having kids and so on. And I don't want to cry front of her because it would give the feeling for her that I gave up on her already as well. So, I cry at nights when she sleeps already, and I just can't believe that there's no way back. Do you guys think, she could still try to get that Erbitux that many of you mentioned? Should I bike to the hospital and ask them? It's so bad that they don't take me seriously at the hospital because I'm just a stupid kid....I don't know what to do, but I need some help...at least, on how I could make her be more positive...I will definitely tell all of your stories to her, maybe that will also encourage her...please respond something!
    Thank you very much, and I wish you all the best to you all!
    Sophie
  • dmdwins
    Wenchie said:

dmdwins
    Dawn, thanks for posting but just what exactly did your Nutritionist recommend? I try to get the 2 tsp. of turmeric down each day, I recently bought a Vita-Mix and have been blending all kinds of drinks and soups and including wheat grass in them and eating cabbage (yuck). I finally got an ok from United Healthcare for a biopsy so that I can start chemo AGAIN. I'd like to hear what you're eating! Thanks, Wenchie

More details this time
    Hi Wenchie

Here are some details about my diet-
    No sugar- there is sugar in soooo many things such as ketchup,canned veggies etc.
    No glutens (wheat)-This is even in soy sauce!!
    Stay hydrated- only drink purified water or herbal tea(may add stevia to sweeten)
    Lots of veggies - I stay away from corn and peas(sugar content) and white potatoes(high glycemic index)sweet potatoes ok
    Fruits -apples pears and berries are best (limit bananas and melons -sugar content)
    Raw non roasted nut and seeds
    grains-Brown rice,quinoa,oats(gluten free only can look at glutenfreeoats.com)buckwheat
    Proteins- organic eggs and organic meats on occasion
    Dairy - I limit mine to yogurt and hormone free chees or goat/sheep varieties of cheese like Feta
    Avoid caffeine
    Oils Extra virgin,unprocessed canola or Raw Flax
    Vinegar-Apple cider,rice or Balsamic
    Salt- real salt or dead sea salts
    Natural peanut butter
    NO white rice,pasta,breads etc.

Those seem to be the important highlights that I can think of. There is a book from Patrick Quillan called Beating Cancer with Nutrition that is good and Kris Carr has a website crazysexycancertips.com that is also good

I am learning new things each day and as I said I'm sure there are others that are more knowledeable and have been doing this much longer. Remember that this diet was with me in mind and may not be exactly the same for anyone.

As far as juicing -I haven't done that yet but would love to get a Vita-mix and start.

I sure hope this helps-I'd be happy to answer anything else I might be able to.Keep your spirits up!!! It was a bit challenging in the beginning since I am an Italian girl that loves to EAT and COOK but it gets easier.
    Good Luck
    Dawn
  • dmdwins
    scouty said:

Lisa P.

So glad to hear your success story
    Lisa,

I am so glad to hear of your success!! I am hopeful that my changes will help me obtain NED also.I definetly need to add the exercising. I would love any other suggestions you might have from what I am doing- See post "more details."
    Again, I can't tell you how happy I am that it has been 4 1/2 years!!!

Take Care,
    Dawn