Hey DJ

Tonia11
Tonia11 Member Posts: 57
edited March 2014 in Stomach Cancer #1
I see you said on another post that you had chemo for a year before you had surgery. If you don't mind me asking, why couldn't you have surgery sooner? Did the tumor not shrink enough? Or were there other medical issues involved? Just asking. We are trying to explore all options for my hubby.

Comments

• DJ
    DJ Member Posts: 8
    surgery
    Hi Tonia,
    I was not a candiate for surgery in Oct 0f 07 when I was diagnoised because the cancer had already spread to my ovaries, so they removed both ovaries, then I had a year of chemo, they did a bunch of tests and found no cancer anywhere esle except in my stomach and the chemo had shrunked the tumor to a very minimal size making me a candiate for stomach surgery and then in Oct of 08 I had the surgery.
    If I can be of any further help please let me know.
    Prayers
    DJ
  • Tonia11
    DJ said:

surgery
    Hi Tonia,
    I was not a candiate for surgery in Oct 0f 07 when I was diagnoised because the cancer had already spread to my ovaries, so they removed both ovaries, then I had a year of chemo, they did a bunch of tests and found no cancer anywhere esle except in my stomach and the chemo had shrunked the tumor to a very minimal size making me a candiate for stomach surgery and then in Oct of 08 I had the surgery.
    If I can be of any further help please let me know.
    Prayers
    DJ

Thanks
    Thanks DJ. Per my other post, surgery is not an option for my husband, at least not right now. There are now some questionable spots on his liver and the tumor did not respond to the his first round of chemo. We are now trying to get into a clinical trial at Vanderbilt or Univ of Alabama-Birmingham. The same trial is being conducted at both sites. Keep us in your prayers.
  • DJ
    DJ Member Posts: 8
    Tonia11 said:

Thanks
    Thanks DJ. Per my other post, surgery is not an option for my husband, at least not right now. There are now some questionable spots on his liver and the tumor did not respond to the his first round of chemo. We are now trying to get into a clinical trial at Vanderbilt or Univ of Alabama-Birmingham. The same trial is being conducted at both sites. Keep us in your prayers.

HOPE and Prayers
    Tonia
    I wish your husband good luck, stomach cancer is so rare, they really do not have good stats, and everyone is different.Maybe he will have better luck with the next round of chemo.If he wants to get into the clinical trial, keep trying do not give up.
    Hang in there and stay strong for both of you, every one has it in them to be a survivor. I have added your husband to my prayer list. I have so many people praying for me, I know that is the only reason I am still here.
    Keep me posted.
    DJ
  • Tonia11
    DJ said:

HOPE and Prayers
    Tonia
    I wish your husband good luck, stomach cancer is so rare, they really do not have good stats, and everyone is different.Maybe he will have better luck with the next round of chemo.If he wants to get into the clinical trial, keep trying do not give up.
    Hang in there and stay strong for both of you, every one has it in them to be a survivor. I have added your husband to my prayer list. I have so many people praying for me, I know that is the only reason I am still here.
    Keep me posted.
    DJ

Well, we went to
    Well, we went to UA-Birmingham and the oncologist thinks he is good candidate for the trial. We are waiting now to get the biopsy scheduled. The tissue from the biopsy will then be sent to the biotech firm conducting the trial. They will determine if he gets in the study. My concern now is keeping him up and about so he can tolerate the drugs under the trial. It's just so hard watching him when he has he bad days and knowing I can't do anything to help him. I just want to hurry up and get in this trial before he gets sicker.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator