Signet cell carsinoma.

vilma80
vilma80 Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My lovely husband was diagnosed with signet cell carsinoma colorectal cancer.Stage 4. He is only 28.He had surgery followed by chemo one year ago and guess what?? it's back with a vengence. When oncologists did surgery to determine the extent of the illness they found another mass with spread to intestinal areas as well as stomach. Another pet scan scheduled for tuesday. Please advised of online chat rooms . By the way we have a young child of only a few years. Your help is very much apreciated. You guys are the best on supprots please any info and help is very appriciateted.: GOD SEND!!!!

Comments

• usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Hello Vilma
    So sorry to hear of your husband's struggle, Vilma.

I was misdiagnosed with signet ring cell carcinoma of the stomach last August, after a bout with Stage III colon cancer. As it turned out I have what is called pseudo-signet ring cells in my stomach - they look like signet ring cell cancer, but are not malignant. I have EGDs every three months to monitor the situation. All my biopsies are sent to Mayo Clinic for review by a stomach/signet ring cell cancer expert.

Signet ring cell cancer is tough - it's extremely rare - so finding other folks with similar circumstances can be quite difficult. Perhaps you might also post your inquiry on the Stomach Cancer and Rare Cancer boards her at CSN.

Is your husband being treated at a major cancer center? If not, I would strongly encourage you to seek second or more opionions from larger cancer centers. You can do a Google search for "Best Cancer Hospitals in...." - insert the name of your city/state. Also, you can request that your husband's oncologist and pathologists refer/send any biopsies or tumor samples to Mayo Clinic if you are here in the US.

If there is anything else I can think of I will post again - otherwise, give those two other boards here a try too.

Will be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

Katie
  • vilma80
    usakat said:

Hello Vilma
    So sorry to hear of your husband's struggle, Vilma.

I was misdiagnosed with signet ring cell carcinoma of the stomach last August, after a bout with Stage III colon cancer. As it turned out I have what is called pseudo-signet ring cells in my stomach - they look like signet ring cell cancer, but are not malignant. I have EGDs every three months to monitor the situation. All my biopsies are sent to Mayo Clinic for review by a stomach/signet ring cell cancer expert.

Signet ring cell cancer is tough - it's extremely rare - so finding other folks with similar circumstances can be quite difficult. Perhaps you might also post your inquiry on the Stomach Cancer and Rare Cancer boards her at CSN.

Is your husband being treated at a major cancer center? If not, I would strongly encourage you to seek second or more opionions from larger cancer centers. You can do a Google search for "Best Cancer Hospitals in...." - insert the name of your city/state. Also, you can request that your husband's oncologist and pathologists refer/send any biopsies or tumor samples to Mayo Clinic if you are here in the US.

If there is anything else I can think of I will post again - otherwise, give those two other boards here a try too.

Will be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

Katie

Thanks you so much
    Thanks you so much Kat...
    The wired thing is that,pat scan didnt show any cancer markers,lab work didnt show anything either.Yes i do leave in Tampa florida,and also did second opinio at Moffit cancer cente,which they couldn't see anything either....At this time we only are based on what the surgen so,and pathology report!.
    Dont know I'm so confused,at this point and hopefully Mayo clinic will help us on this.

God bless you.
    Vilma.
  • usakat
    vilma80 said:

Thanks you so much
    Thanks you so much Kat...
    The wired thing is that,pat scan didnt show any cancer markers,lab work didnt show anything either.Yes i do leave in Tampa florida,and also did second opinio at Moffit cancer cente,which they couldn't see anything either....At this time we only are based on what the surgen so,and pathology report!.
    Dont know I'm so confused,at this point and hopefully Mayo clinic will help us on this.

God bless you.
    Vilma.

Signet Ring Cell and PET Scans
    I was told during my diagnostic stage last August that Signet Ring Cells can often produce false negative PET scans. The reason is because of the way that signet ring cells grow - they tend to spread within the layers of normal cells rather than form large tumors, although I very well might be misinformed about this - it was a tough time for me.

There is a Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville - perhaps you and your husband might want to think about going there for a consult. Perhaps it might be worth at least a phone call...

Check them out:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/jacksonville/

Regards,
    Katie
  • vilma80
    usakat said:

Signet Ring Cell and PET Scans
    I was told during my diagnostic stage last August that Signet Ring Cells can often produce false negative PET scans. The reason is because of the way that signet ring cells grow - they tend to spread within the layers of normal cells rather than form large tumors, although I very well might be misinformed about this - it was a tough time for me.

There is a Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville - perhaps you and your husband might want to think about going there for a consult. Perhaps it might be worth at least a phone call...

Check them out:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/jacksonville/

Regards,
    Katie

Thanks so much...
    Which

Thanks so much...
    Which doctor will you suggest us please....And should we ask for second opinion.

I know this is such a bad cancer...i just cant get it....he feels fine,just a little pain and the rest it is OK with him...Im so bad emotionaly,as we have 19 old month baby boy.:(.
    thanks so much Katie.
  • usakat
    vilma80 said:

Thanks so much...
    Which

Thanks so much...
    Which doctor will you suggest us please....And should we ask for second opinion.

I know this is such a bad cancer...i just cant get it....he feels fine,just a little pain and the rest it is OK with him...Im so bad emotionaly,as we have 19 old month baby boy.:(.
    thanks so much Katie.

Sorry, Vilma, but my advice
    Sorry, Vilma, but my advice to call Mayo is merely a suggestion, not necessarily a recommendation. I suggest an inquiry to Mayo because of the reputation they have for working with patients with rare cancers, and based on my own experience, they were the ones who corrected my diagnosis from signet ring cell stomach cancer to pseudo-signet ring gastric cells, which ultimately saved my stomach from being removed.

I cannot know if Mayo can help you or not, but it just seems to me that it might be worth the time of a phone call for you to chat with one of their patient coordinators at their cancer center.

Because of the nature of your husband's rare cancer, your best bet is to seek medical advice from medical doctors - seeking multiple opionions can often times be beneficial to the patient. Here at CSN we can offer you empathy, emotional support and friendship.

Good luck, Vilma...
  • vilma80
    usakat said:

Sorry, Vilma, but my advice
    Sorry, Vilma, but my advice to call Mayo is merely a suggestion, not necessarily a recommendation. I suggest an inquiry to Mayo because of the reputation they have for working with patients with rare cancers, and based on my own experience, they were the ones who corrected my diagnosis from signet ring cell stomach cancer to pseudo-signet ring gastric cells, which ultimately saved my stomach from being removed.

I cannot know if Mayo can help you or not, but it just seems to me that it might be worth the time of a phone call for you to chat with one of their patient coordinators at their cancer center.

Because of the nature of your husband's rare cancer, your best bet is to seek medical advice from medical doctors - seeking multiple opionions can often times be beneficial to the patient. Here at CSN we can offer you empathy, emotional support and friendship.

Good luck, Vilma...

katie,
    Thanks so much for

katie,
    Thanks so much for your quick reply. I will do that ASAP.
    It is so rare,and he has no one on his family with this case.

Thanks again for all your help!.
    Vilma,
  • polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202
    hi
    hi i just wanted to let you know that there are also some people over the colon club with the signet cell colon cancer... http://www.colonclub.com
  • vilma80

hi
    hi i just wanted to let you know that there are also some people over the colon club with the signet cell colon cancer... http://www.colonclub.com

Thanks so much....
    god

Thanks so much....
    god bless.
  • rosebud1971
    rosebud1971 Member Posts: 2
    Vilma,
    Hello.  how is your

Vilma,

Hello.  how is your husband?  Was he able to get help?

I have stage 4 colon cancer/ signet cell carsinoma

Rose

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member

Vilma,
    Hello.  how is your

Vilma,

Hello.  how is your husband?  Was he able to get help?

I have stage 4 colon cancer/ signet cell carsinoma

Rose

Rose … Vilma has not logged in to the site since

Friday, June 19 2009.  It may be that she will not respond.  You might try sending her a private message.

There may be others on the site that may be helpful to you ... you could start a new forum message of your own so that others might see it and respond?

Peace and comfort to you. ~ Cynthia