Alternative and complementary care

yerba
yerba Member Posts: 4
Is anyone here using alternative or complementary care for your cancer?

Do you know of any cases of people who have?

Have you researched info about other modalities, such as Traditional Chinese Medicine (acupuncture), hormones, nutrition, exercise, biofeedback, etc., and have information or references you can share with us?

Any info you have would be appreciated. I will include what I have found in another post.

Sincerely,
yerba

Comments

• daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    Yerba, I have been using
    Yerba, I have been using meditation and healing touch to complement my medical treatments. I believe they have been helpful to me. I had one bad patch during my chemo and I and my medical team think that my meditation helped avoid a neupogen injection to build up my blood.

I know of one person who is a survivor of liver cancer that used just alternative medicine. I know of another who is the cousin of my neighbor who used only alternative therapy (resource: book Getting Well Again) and is now free of lymphoma.

I believe these modalities are effective. However, I am not brave enough to use them exclusively. I am supplementing my traditional Western medicine with these holistic ones. I did not do any radical nutritional regime while on chemo. I am now working on juicing and natural raw foods.

I'm interested to learn what you have researched. Please share.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Yerba: look for posts here from CaliforniaArtist
    We have an avid and informed researcher with of alternate treatment modalities that posts here: CaliforniaArtist. She has UPSC and is especialy interested in hormone therapy. I'm not sure if you can search on a person'a name in the 'Search' box, but it might be possible. I know that a lot of her research is in that long long thread we have here and you can just scan for her name. You may want to try and use the SEARCH mechanism on some key words that would pull up postings from others on alternative treatments. I would do that 'Search' from the listing of the various Cancer Discussion Boards, so that you get input across all types on cancer.
  • mono5
    mono5 Member Posts: 94
    Hi Yerba,
    After my operation I avoided chemotherapy and used alternative therapies successfully. I've been in remission 8 years. I continue to use herbs and supplements daily that help keep me cancer free. Most important, is avoiding foods that feed cancer and eating fresh produce, eather raw or steamed and perferabbly organic. A juicer is a good investment. I detox daily with a supplement formulated for that perpose. I believe food you consume daily should be out of your system within 24 hours. There are many potent bulk, powdered supplements. I take one in my morning smoothy that contains a vary potent organic AHCC mushroom and Berry immune blend, with camu camu. Also I add to that a certified organic herb and vegetable leaf blend with the organic japanese matcha green tea by Midora. A powerful immune system booster.

Work on inproving your immune system, as thats the most often overlooked. Spend a few bucks and get your immune system tested. A good naturopathic doctor can help you there.
    The function of immune surveillance is possibly the most critical function to protect the body from chronic and degenerative diseases like cancer. Macrophages(immune cells) engulf and digest the particles they destroy but Natural killer cells use a different mechanism. NK cells, like heat-seeking missiles, attach themselves to the surface of microbe, cancer cells or other substances and inject a “granule” into the interior of its “prey.” The granule causes a chemical reaction that makes the cancer cell or bacteria “explode,” often within only a few minutes.
    The activity of NK cells can be measured by a test called the NK cell function test, also known as the four-hour chromium-release assay. The test is straightforward. The patient’s blood is placed in a container holding live cancer cells and the percentage of cancer cells destroyed by the patient’s blood is measured after four hours. The more active the NK cells in the blood are, the higher the measured percentage will be. This test is becoming more common and is now available in many conventional labs. I believe its necessary to test for NK cell cytotoxic activity to know the capability of the immune system in cancer and chronic disease.

One vary potent supplement that used in Japan succesfully with cancer patients is the medicinal mushrooms with AHCC. In fact its used in over 700 hospitals in Japan. You can get a free booklet on the medicinal mushrooms with AHCC at www.iherb.com.
    http://www.iherb.com/Search.aspx?kw=booklet on AHCC
    Article on the mushrooms with AHCC: Mushrooms that fight cancer..http://form.hsibaltimore.com/reports/mushroom_cancer.pdf
    Research: http://www.ahccpublishedresearch.com/wwwroot-ahcc/studies/AHCC_02_1002.html

Free Conference call: The Natural Supportive Therapy for Cancer Cessation available on request. Listen on computer. Details more agents to research used by a homeopathic physican in stage 4 cancer. Can be emailed.. Amazon Herbs.. Graviola, Una de Gato, Pau de Arco
    Keep in mind, cancer is a vary serious complex,ofen fatal disease and your doctor should be advised before undertaking complementary meds or supplements on your own.
  • daisy366
    mono5 said:

Hi Yerba,
    After my operation I avoided chemotherapy and used alternative therapies successfully. I've been in remission 8 years. I continue to use herbs and supplements daily that help keep me cancer free. Most important, is avoiding foods that feed cancer and eating fresh produce, eather raw or steamed and perferabbly organic. A juicer is a good investment. I detox daily with a supplement formulated for that perpose. I believe food you consume daily should be out of your system within 24 hours. There are many potent bulk, powdered supplements. I take one in my morning smoothy that contains a vary potent organic AHCC mushroom and Berry immune blend, with camu camu. Also I add to that a certified organic herb and vegetable leaf blend with the organic japanese matcha green tea by Midora. A powerful immune system booster.

Work on inproving your immune system, as thats the most often overlooked. Spend a few bucks and get your immune system tested. A good naturopathic doctor can help you there.
    The function of immune surveillance is possibly the most critical function to protect the body from chronic and degenerative diseases like cancer. Macrophages(immune cells) engulf and digest the particles they destroy but Natural killer cells use a different mechanism. NK cells, like heat-seeking missiles, attach themselves to the surface of microbe, cancer cells or other substances and inject a “granule” into the interior of its “prey.” The granule causes a chemical reaction that makes the cancer cell or bacteria “explode,” often within only a few minutes.
    The activity of NK cells can be measured by a test called the NK cell function test, also known as the four-hour chromium-release assay. The test is straightforward. The patient’s blood is placed in a container holding live cancer cells and the percentage of cancer cells destroyed by the patient’s blood is measured after four hours. The more active the NK cells in the blood are, the higher the measured percentage will be. This test is becoming more common and is now available in many conventional labs. I believe its necessary to test for NK cell cytotoxic activity to know the capability of the immune system in cancer and chronic disease.

One vary potent supplement that used in Japan succesfully with cancer patients is the medicinal mushrooms with AHCC. In fact its used in over 700 hospitals in Japan. You can get a free booklet on the medicinal mushrooms with AHCC at www.iherb.com.
    http://www.iherb.com/Search.aspx?kw=booklet on AHCC
    Article on the mushrooms with AHCC: Mushrooms that fight cancer..http://form.hsibaltimore.com/reports/mushroom_cancer.pdf
    Research: http://www.ahccpublishedresearch.com/wwwroot-ahcc/studies/AHCC_02_1002.html

Free Conference call: The Natural Supportive Therapy for Cancer Cessation available on request. Listen on computer. Details more agents to research used by a homeopathic physican in stage 4 cancer. Can be emailed.. Amazon Herbs.. Graviola, Una de Gato, Pau de Arco
    Keep in mind, cancer is a vary serious complex,ofen fatal disease and your doctor should be advised before undertaking complementary meds or supplements on your own.

Mono5, What type of cancer did you have?
    I'm happy that natural foods and supplements helped you become cancer free. What were you diagnosed with? UPSC is particularly aggressive. Do you know of effectiveness of natural healing on this type of cancer?

Mary Ann
  • mono5
    daisy366 said:

Mono5, What type of cancer did you have?
    I'm happy that natural foods and supplements helped you become cancer free. What were you diagnosed with? UPSC is particularly aggressive. Do you know of effectiveness of natural healing on this type of cancer?

Mary Ann

Hi Mary Ann....
    I hand Basal cell carcinoma which is the most common form of skin cancer... it diden't metastasize. As far as natural healing for UPSC, the best source for information I think would be comming from a naturopathic physican. I believe cancer, whatever form or what area it strike us in, is a sigh that something terribally has gone wrong internally. The best way to treat it, I believe is holisticly, focusing on building up the immune system. thats why the AHCC mushrooms are so effective. It states in the 30 minute read on AHCC, perhaps cancer is not a disease of the lungs, nor a disease of the liver, or anywhere else in the body, perhaps its a disease of the immune system. After all, we can't survive without a functioning immune system. thats why I take issue with chemotherapy and radiation, that further damages, an already low functioning immune system and leads to the spread of cancer, most often, to other areas. Check out the preview on healing cancer from inside out at...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvOCWB9RPGQ This dvd is also available at blockbuster online
    Diet is the most important in the healing process. Supplements are much more effective, whatever you take, if you address the diet first, and detox in the process.. daily, with a supplement and foods that promotes that process.

Ron
  • daisy366
    mono5 said:

Hi Mary Ann....
    I hand Basal cell carcinoma which is the most common form of skin cancer... it diden't metastasize. As far as natural healing for UPSC, the best source for information I think would be comming from a naturopathic physican. I believe cancer, whatever form or what area it strike us in, is a sigh that something terribally has gone wrong internally. The best way to treat it, I believe is holisticly, focusing on building up the immune system. thats why the AHCC mushrooms are so effective. It states in the 30 minute read on AHCC, perhaps cancer is not a disease of the lungs, nor a disease of the liver, or anywhere else in the body, perhaps its a disease of the immune system. After all, we can't survive without a functioning immune system. thats why I take issue with chemotherapy and radiation, that further damages, an already low functioning immune system and leads to the spread of cancer, most often, to other areas. Check out the preview on healing cancer from inside out at...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvOCWB9RPGQ This dvd is also available at blockbuster online
    Diet is the most important in the healing process. Supplements are much more effective, whatever you take, if you address the diet first, and detox in the process.. daily, with a supplement and foods that promotes that process.

Ron

Immune system
    Ron,

I agree with you about the immune system. It's all about the immune system!! In "Getting Well Again" Dr. Simonton illustrates the influence stress (dis-ease of the mind) has on the immune system. Pretty fascinating to me.

I am not brave enough - or perhaps informed enough - to NOT try conventional medicine. So I am integrating them - working on lowering the damage of the chemo on my body by using meditation, yoga, healing touch as well as good diet and exercise. I think it has helped since I have tolerated treatment very well.

I will research this more. Thanks for your information and guidance.

Mary Ann

PS. Looking at the times we are posting, it seems we have the same sleep (or non sleep?) habits!
  • mono5
    daisy366 said:

Immune system
    Ron,

I agree with you about the immune system. It's all about the immune system!! In "Getting Well Again" Dr. Simonton illustrates the influence stress (dis-ease of the mind) has on the immune system. Pretty fascinating to me.

I am not brave enough - or perhaps informed enough - to NOT try conventional medicine. So I am integrating them - working on lowering the damage of the chemo on my body by using meditation, yoga, healing touch as well as good diet and exercise. I think it has helped since I have tolerated treatment very well.

I will research this more. Thanks for your information and guidance.

Mary Ann

PS. Looking at the times we are posting, it seems we have the same sleep (or non sleep?) habits!

Hi Mary Ann....
    I have an adopted daughter named Mari Ann... She lives in Utah. I'm living in California.
    I obtained an interesting study called: SHOULD PATIENTS UNDERGOING CHEMOTHERAPY AND RADIATION TAKE ANTIOXIDIENTS?
    Its a huge pdf file and answers many questions. I can email it to you and anyone else thats interested. Email me at rhstar@hotmail.com.

Take care,

Ron
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator