where to go from here.

catcon49
catcon49 Member Posts: 398
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I'm just wondering how all the survivors do it. (now that I am one) Am I suppose to never go anywhere that there is smoke? Or never eat some of the foods that I like because they are fatty? I don't know if I should be an extremist about health. Not color my hair? I mean I always ate green leafy vegatables. I controled my weight. I quit smoking. I don't drink, only occassionally. But now everything scares me, since I had the cancer. I don't know if I should continue to live my life the way I was or to make more changes to it. I was dx at Stage Ia.I know that I am very lucky. But no one really has said how to continue from here. Just that my chances of it not reoccurring are very good. anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    One opinion
    Congratulations, first, on where you are. It is true that there is very little research or literature out there concerning what we should expect, what we should do, if and when we reach that point of becoming long-term survivors. That is being addressed, only now, but it is being addressed, from what I read.

I look at it like this, catcon: if they told you that you had X months to live, no matter what you did, how would you live? I do not mean that you cannot change things in your diet, that you should not quit the obvious killers such as cigarettes and inhaling asbestos.

What I mean is that you should have realized from your initial diagnosis that our time is limited, that we are indeed mortal, and that some things are out of our control while others are completely within our control.

Enjoying our lives is something that is within our control. Worrying about future bouts with cancer is certainly not something we enjoy.

I say that cancer will get what it's going to get, but we can't let it take more than it is biologically designed to take. It does not deserve it.

Obviously, moderation in all things turns out to be pretty good advice, even if it is a thousand years old.

In the end, no one can answer this but you. I know that some will give you much better advice, re exercise and diet, for example, but I say that the battle begins and ends with quality of life versus quantity of life. I agree that exercise and proper diet will probably make you feel better in the long run, I do (before Cabbott jumps me :)).

They do make for a healthier individual, both physically and mentally. I do not doubt that in the least, and, in fact, I recommend it.

Still, you need to live your life so that you can best enjoy it.

Take care,

Joe
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member

One opinion
    Congratulations, first, on where you are. It is true that there is very little research or literature out there concerning what we should expect, what we should do, if and when we reach that point of becoming long-term survivors. That is being addressed, only now, but it is being addressed, from what I read.

I look at it like this, catcon: if they told you that you had X months to live, no matter what you did, how would you live? I do not mean that you cannot change things in your diet, that you should not quit the obvious killers such as cigarettes and inhaling asbestos.

What I mean is that you should have realized from your initial diagnosis that our time is limited, that we are indeed mortal, and that some things are out of our control while others are completely within our control.

Enjoying our lives is something that is within our control. Worrying about future bouts with cancer is certainly not something we enjoy.

I say that cancer will get what it's going to get, but we can't let it take more than it is biologically designed to take. It does not deserve it.

Obviously, moderation in all things turns out to be pretty good advice, even if it is a thousand years old.

In the end, no one can answer this but you. I know that some will give you much better advice, re exercise and diet, for example, but I say that the battle begins and ends with quality of life versus quantity of life. I agree that exercise and proper diet will probably make you feel better in the long run, I do (before Cabbott jumps me :)).

They do make for a healthier individual, both physically and mentally. I do not doubt that in the least, and, in fact, I recommend it.

Still, you need to live your life so that you can best enjoy it.

Take care,

Joe

Thanks!
    Thanks Joe for sharing your wisdom and calm approach to dealing with cancer. The worst thing about getting diagnosed with cancer for me was the loss of control and the flood of worries. Someone told me early on that we can't control what things happen to us but we can control how we react to them. Your response rings with the same truth.

And yes, I have found that getting an hour a day of exercise in really makes me feel better. As for the diet, I just put on last year's short sleeve top and it seems as if it has shrunk. Guess I've been eating too well!

Take care,

C. Abbott
  • nubis
    nubis Member Posts: 98
    My opinion
    I read this thought: "Your preventive medicine will be your meal"

We live in a time where fast food is more comfortable than cook some healthy food in your home but it is your choice and your decision. You can eat what you want just make a balance and think what is better for your body.

Good luck!!!!

Nubis
  • catcon49
    Thanks for the input. I
    Thanks for the input. I guess I think that all of you are so together with being survivors, and I'm not. Not that I am not greatfull that I am free of cancer right now. But I not a wait and see kind of person. It is just frustrating sometimes. And I'm torn between doing what I know will be best or better for me, and what people say. I had alot of comments that day about not coloring my hair anymore. I just wish someone other than me would say. I don't care how much grey you have I glad your alive.
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    catcon49 said:

Thanks for the input. I
    Thanks for the input. I guess I think that all of you are so together with being survivors, and I'm not. Not that I am not greatfull that I am free of cancer right now. But I not a wait and see kind of person. It is just frustrating sometimes. And I'm torn between doing what I know will be best or better for me, and what people say. I had alot of comments that day about not coloring my hair anymore. I just wish someone other than me would say. I don't care how much grey you have I glad your alive.

catcon:
    I don't care how much gray you have. I am glad you are alive!

Take care,

Joe
  • catcon49
    Thanks soccerfreak! I agree
    Thanks soccerfreak! I agree on both counts. You made my night