What is the purpose...

jenben59
jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
of steroids while I'm on chemo? What do they do for me or the cancer?

Comments

• vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    steroids
    They are to lessen any immediate type reaction you might get from the chemo. They have no benefit against the cancer itself except to help you tolerate the treatment.

• PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    steroids
    When I asked the oncologist why I was getting steroids with my chemo. she said they "boost" the chemo drugs and help your body push the chemo into the targeted tissues quicker.
    Pam
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Dr. Vinny is right.
    My doctor expressly said I would be given a steroid and anti-nausea combo for 30 mins. before chemo to prevent side effects.

Diane
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    YEP
    And here i though I was going to get all huge and buff while I was on chemo... instead I got all puffy!
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    vinny3 said:

steroids
    They are to lessen any immediate type reaction you might get from the chemo. They have no benefit against the cancer itself except to help you tolerate the treatment.

WHAZZUP, VINNY?
    Long time no chat - how are you, buddy?
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Steroids
    It's so we can kick cancer's butt
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Steroids
    ... were my favourite med when I was on chemo :) I was told I was given the steroids, starting the first day of treatment and the last one was taken on the last day of treatment, to counter-act the possible side affects such as nausea. But what it really did for me , it was like a miracle cure for my arthritis!! While I was actually on chemo, my arthritis disappeared. Even though I was only on them for 3 days each cycle, I didn't have problems with my arthritis for the full two weeks before we started chemo/steroids again :)

I asked my oncologist if, once the chemo was over, could I continue with the steroids every two weeks and she said "No". Apparently, with long term use, these steroids could cause diabetes and hypertension. So, of course, I haven't been on them since my chemo stopped... I miss them :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    spongebob said:

WHAZZUP, VINNY?
    Long time no chat - how are you, buddy?

Ahoy, Bob
    Doing well. Back to playing tennis and everything else. I note you disappear for periods of time. Of course, you are "out to sea" while I am just "out to lunch". Have had some periods where I actually have to work and then some homeowners issues for our association so haven't been able to post as much. Looking forward to spring and summer after a long winter. Hope you and Kat are fine.

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member

Steroids
    ... were my favourite med when I was on chemo :) I was told I was given the steroids, starting the first day of treatment and the last one was taken on the last day of treatment, to counter-act the possible side affects such as nausea. But what it really did for me , it was like a miracle cure for my arthritis!! While I was actually on chemo, my arthritis disappeared. Even though I was only on them for 3 days each cycle, I didn't have problems with my arthritis for the full two weeks before we started chemo/steroids again :)

I asked my oncologist if, once the chemo was over, could I continue with the steroids every two weeks and she said "No". Apparently, with long term use, these steroids could cause diabetes and hypertension. So, of course, I haven't been on them since my chemo stopped... I miss them :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

I'm with you Cheryl!
    I loved the steroids for the same reason! However, I do like the fact that now my face is no longer a round puff! And Celebrex and glucosamine and MSM do the job for the most part with my arthritis so I can live with it! Especially now that I'm FINALLY able to get a few of the extra pounds off!
    mary
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    msccolon said:

I'm with you Cheryl!
    I loved the steroids for the same reason! However, I do like the fact that now my face is no longer a round puff! And Celebrex and glucosamine and MSM do the job for the most part with my arthritis so I can live with it! Especially now that I'm FINALLY able to get a few of the extra pounds off!
    mary

Made me feel great
    Hi there,

I think the steroids give you a lift during chemo (which they did for me) Plus I found little nausea while on them. Years ago when I was being treated for another cancer I was given large doses of Prednisone which made me feel like Superman plus I believe it helped with combating the cancer. Trouble was that I felt really flat once I stopped taking them.

cheers, Lance
  • CherylHutch
    msccolon said:

I'm with you Cheryl!
    mary

Arthritis
    Hehe... I'm working on taking off the pounds, Mary... it's been an ongoing battle all my life and even my doctor says it looks like I'm one of the unlucky ones where food in/burned calories is not necessarily the ideal solution for me. The chemo diet was the ultimate diet plan for me... and I didn't lose a pound... then after having the right adrenal gland removed, I have gained weight. It's a vicious circle!!

But, I am on the celebrex, glucosomine, MSM, etc. which helps a teeny, tiny bit... but basically doesn't touch the pain at all. I have recently purchased one of the Dr. Ho Double Massage machines, which is like the Tens machines they use at chiropractors and/or physio. Right now, I have to admit that little machine is giving me more relief in my knees than any drugs or physio has done... so keep your fingers crossed that this will continue :)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member

Arthritis
    Hehe... I'm working on taking off the pounds, Mary... it's been an ongoing battle all my life and even my doctor says it looks like I'm one of the unlucky ones where food in/burned calories is not necessarily the ideal solution for me. The chemo diet was the ultimate diet plan for me... and I didn't lose a pound... then after having the right adrenal gland removed, I have gained weight. It's a vicious circle!!

But, I am on the celebrex, glucosomine, MSM, etc. which helps a teeny, tiny bit... but basically doesn't touch the pain at all. I have recently purchased one of the Dr. Ho Double Massage machines, which is like the Tens machines they use at chiropractors and/or physio. Right now, I have to admit that little machine is giving me more relief in my knees than any drugs or physio has done... so keep your fingers crossed that this will continue :)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

fingers crossed!
    I never really had a weight problem until recently; I was always one of those gals you just wanted to smack because I could eat all I wanted without worrying about the scale. After 40 I did have to pay more attention to what I was consuming, but nothing like now! In fact I believe it's been the last chemo rounds and possibly the last surgery that really did me in. I am now taking a little off, so I am thankful for that, although I really know that what the scale says is nothing compared to the fact that I wake up in the morning! I did take a huge break from weight bearing exercises to give my knees a break, so I think that helps a great deal. I really can't complain about my knees as long as I don't try to do something like kneel or get down on the ground! My hands, now that's the worst for me since I knit so much; that's where i really notice the difference with the glucosamine and MSM. My daughter also bought me an amber bracelet and even though I was very skeptical, I really noticed a big difference! I haven't had to supplement my pain meds with Tylenol on a regular basis since I started wearing that bracelet! Let me know how that double massage machine works, I would be interested in finding out if you gain any relief! A day at a time, my friend!

mary
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    More information
    I googled steroids and chemo. It looks like they not only help with side effects, they also back up the chemo and can actually kill some cancer cells. Macmillencancersupport website
    What are steroids?
    Steroids are chemicals that are naturally produced in the body to help control how it works. They are made by the adrenal glands above the kidney and by the reproductive organs. Steroids can also be made as a drug. There are many different types of steroids and they all have different effects on the body. Some types of steroids help destroy some types of cancer cells and can make chemotherapy more effective.

Common types of steroids that are used in cancer treatment are hydrocortisone, dexamethasone, methylprednisolone and prednisolone. This information is about these types of steroids.

Dexamethasone may also be used in low doses as an anti-sickness drug, or to help reduce an allergic reaction to certain chemotherapy drugs, or to improve appetite. In these situations it is usually given only for short periods of time and the side effects described here will not usually occur.

There is a lot more information out there on steroids if you want to research it, I just copied and pasted part of this article. They must be effective as widly used with chemo.
    Pam
  • CherylHutch
    PamPam2 said:

More information
    I googled steroids and chemo. It looks like they not only help with side effects, they also back up the chemo and can actually kill some cancer cells. Macmillencancersupport website
    What are steroids?
    Steroids are chemicals that are naturally produced in the body to help control how it works. They are made by the adrenal glands above the kidney and by the reproductive organs. Steroids can also be made as a drug. There are many different types of steroids and they all have different effects on the body. Some types of steroids help destroy some types of cancer cells and can make chemotherapy more effective.

Common types of steroids that are used in cancer treatment are hydrocortisone, dexamethasone, methylprednisolone and prednisolone. This information is about these types of steroids.

Dexamethasone may also be used in low doses as an anti-sickness drug, or to help reduce an allergic reaction to certain chemotherapy drugs, or to improve appetite. In these situations it is usually given only for short periods of time and the side effects described here will not usually occur.

There is a lot more information out there on steroids if you want to research it, I just copied and pasted part of this article. They must be effective as widly used with chemo.
    Pam

Dexamethasone
    THAT is the steroid I was given but I couldn't remember the name! It's a brilliant drug and it sure did the trick ;) I didn't puff out or anything on it, but did get a lot of energy and like I mentioned earlier, it was a wonder drug for the arthritis :)
  • jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
    PamPam2 said:

More information
    What are steroids?

Pam

OK, forgive my ignorance...
    I know nothing about steroids, except the news I hear about atheletes taking them to "Buff-up". I thought that's what it does. I'm on my fifth treatment and have only lost about 6 pounds. I read that of people on chemo lose a lot of weight and I thought maybe I'm not because of the steroids.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    jenben59 said:

OK, forgive my ignorance...
    I know nothing about steroids, except the news I hear about atheletes taking them to "Buff-up". I thought that's what it does. I'm on my fifth treatment and have only lost about 6 pounds. I read that of people on chemo lose a lot of weight and I thought maybe I'm not because of the steroids.

Weight Loss.....
    I went from 207 to 182 while doing the chemo/Radiation but after surgery I started gaining 2 # a week and am back up to 207...On post chemo treatment weeks I would lose approx 4-8# and then the week after put it back on so you weight stability is fine and where you want to be at this time.......God Bless ya....