Name something that gives you great comfort

CherylHutch
CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Everyone here on the boards knows that there is great comfort in being able to share our journeys with others who are going through the same or very similar journeys. But at the end of the day, we still have those times when we wonder... "Do I really know what I'm going through here??" At those times, what do you do to ground yourself? In this "exercise", share with all of us something tangible that you touch, hug, look at that grounds you when you need grounding. It might be only one thing... then again, you might find you have multiple things that keep you going. The only rule to this exercise (rules, bloody rules! ) is that the thing you mention has to be tangible... something that if any of us were to come to your house, you would be able to show it to us :)

Ok... I'll start! For me, there's no doubt about it... it is my little diva dog, Bridget. She is a miniature schnauzer who turned 11 years old on November 11, 2008 and she is the apple of my eye. She knows when I just need snuggle time and other times she is super mischievious (loves to play "Chase ME!" in the apartment ;)

I have shed many tears over my DX and even more laughter... but through tears or laughter, my little Bridget has been with me all the way. She also has this way about her where, she will look at me with great understanding , give me 5 minutes of "It's all about YOU" time and then turn on a dime and insist "It's all about BRIDGET"... which cracks me up and brings me back to reality ;)

With Phil's help... he has shown me how I can insert a picture into this post... here's my darling Bridget who is the best emotional support a girl could wish for...

Huggggggggggs,

Cheryl

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    What gets me through
    What a good post! For me, it's my mother, my grand daughter and many angels. On top of my television cabinet is this collection of reminders of the love that sustains me. The statue is one I gave my mother many years ago, the rest is self explanatory! And look! It's 71 degrees in here! :)
    What Gets me Through the Day
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Zelda
    Of course my family and friends get me through, but my Shih-tzu Zelda is my buddy and companion when everyone else is gone during the day. Love the pictures you two posted- I'm out the door soon, so didn't take the time but wanted to post anyway.
    I got Zelda as a pup a year ago when I was feeling pretty low. I have another dog, Ralphy, but he isn't quite the comfort that Zelda is!
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Grounding
    Hey Cheryl, What a fantastic photo of Bridget....you can just see the fun in her eyes....
    guess my dog Kelsie helps ground me as well......she gives me motivation to get up every
    morning and feed her breakfast, especially when she won't go away and leave me alone.....
    she lifts my spirits when she brings one of her stuffed toys to play fetch with this
    impish look in her eyes.....guess another item that grounds me is my bag from Kanort which
    contains several stones, some I included was a stone from an Ireland trip and a stone
    the teacher for my guided imagery group gave us......I take it with me on the anxious
    trips to medical tests and when I can't sleep at night.....sometimes a cup of coffee or
    an ice cream cone is comfort food.....there is a special frozen custard place that is
    only open from Spring to Fall and I excitedly wait for them to open (which is next week)
    so I can get my comfort cone. Thanks for suggesting such an interesting topic.
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    dixchi said:

Grounding
    Hey Cheryl, What a fantastic photo of Bridget....you can just see the fun in her eyes....
    guess my dog Kelsie helps ground me as well......she gives me motivation to get up every
    morning and feed her breakfast, especially when she won't go away and leave me alone.....
    she lifts my spirits when she brings one of her stuffed toys to play fetch with this
    impish look in her eyes.....guess another item that grounds me is my bag from Kanort which
    contains several stones, some I included was a stone from an Ireland trip and a stone
    the teacher for my guided imagery group gave us......I take it with me on the anxious
    trips to medical tests and when I can't sleep at night.....sometimes a cup of coffee or
    an ice cream cone is comfort food.....there is a special frozen custard place that is
    only open from Spring to Fall and I excitedly wait for them to open (which is next week)
    so I can get my comfort cone. Thanks for suggesting such an interesting topic.

Music
    Music soothes my soul. All kinds - jazz, blues, pop, rock, metal, folk bluegrass, classical, Inuit throat singing.. I love it all. Whether I am playing or listening, I can't imagine life without it.

Cheers, Lance
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Ok, I'll play
    My cat, Betty. She was hubby's cat before, and merely tolerated me as I fed her. But since I was DX'd, and especially when I had such a rough time with radiation, she has moved to my side of the bed, and follows me everywhere. Sometimes she just climbs up and pats my face, as if to say "I am here for you."

Also, even though they aren't here every day, my grandsons keep me going!

Vicki
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    comfort
    The one thing that helped me the most all during treatment was the backrubs that my husband would give me each day. This is the one thing that totally relaxes me. He usually gives me one each day and always has for as long as we've been married, which is 19 years. My other comforts are my big cat Kitty, my spoiled dog Radar. My favorite blanket. And my house. I'd count my car but I can't take it inside the house. In the morning it's my coffee. God bless.
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    dog
    My first dog was our girl Ginger. She was a miniature schnauzer. She passed away at only 4 years of age. Next was Charlie a miniature schnauzer, we lost him sadly last year at age 11. Then Kramer another Schnauzer we lost him at 1 year. We have our dog Radar. He's about 6. He's a salt and pepper schnauzer. They are special fur kids.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Things that give me comfort...
    Spending time with Dana, Griffin, Dylan, and playing my guitars...

all give me comfort.
    Great exercise Cheryl.
    (that Phil character is a pretty smart cookie)
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    For me it is
    For me it is fishing. I can think of nothing better than being alone in my boat fifty miles out at sea with not another boat in sight. The ocean is like an earth wire for my soul. All the bad stuff just gets drawn away and absorbed by the power of nature. It got me thru my cancer , my chemo ,my marriage break up and most of the illness. sadly my recent health problems have kept me from getting out there . I miss it so much.
    Ron.
  • CherylHutch
    WOW! Great things, Everyone!!
    This little exercise in comfort is turning into some fabulous things!! Hahaha... I want to comment on everyone's... they are all so great!!

Phil... your family is gorgeous!! Is it any wonder you don't let a little old chemo keep you down?? And now, having heard some of your music... uh, ya, I'm thinkin' those guitars are pretty darn important in your life :) Ok, maybe I'll give you that little "that Phil's a pretty smart guy"... but don't let it go to your head! I'm might snatch it away at any time

Tiny One... another schnauzer lover!! I think we could be kindred spirits :)

Mary... I'm a bit of an angel collector, myself. Angels and pixies :)

Lisa, Dixchi and Vicki... no matter how you look at it, our fur-children have a way of telling us that they will be there for us, but snap out of it... you have to look after ME! LOL!

Lance... I hear you on the music. Music really is the food of the Gods. I love music, but I have to admit, I think theatre is my passion... then again, it's Musical Theatre, so we are back to music again :)

Keep them coming, folk! And you know that when you get right down to it, you find you have more than just one thing that becomes important for your comfort zone... so keep adding to the list :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

WOW! Great things, Everyone!!
    This little exercise in comfort is turning into some fabulous things!! Hahaha... I want to comment on everyone's... they are all so great!!

Phil... your family is gorgeous!! Is it any wonder you don't let a little old chemo keep you down?? And now, having heard some of your music... uh, ya, I'm thinkin' those guitars are pretty darn important in your life :) Ok, maybe I'll give you that little "that Phil's a pretty smart guy"... but don't let it go to your head! I'm might snatch it away at any time

Tiny One... another schnauzer lover!! I think we could be kindred spirits :)

Mary... I'm a bit of an angel collector, myself. Angels and pixies :)

Lisa, Dixchi and Vicki... no matter how you look at it, our fur-children have a way of telling us that they will be there for us, but snap out of it... you have to look after ME! LOL!

Lance... I hear you on the music. Music really is the food of the Gods. I love music, but I have to admit, I think theatre is my passion... then again, it's Musical Theatre, so we are back to music again :)

Keep them coming, folk! And you know that when you get right down to it, you find you have more than just one thing that becomes important for your comfort zone... so keep adding to the list :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

My Family...
    ...My family is my life, I don't know how to post pics of them, but I have 4 children, well 5 counting my hubby, and my life revolves around them, and also God and Jesus I feel have come into my life strongly, and will keep serving him, they all make me so happy, and I hope to have many more years with them, they are my comforts.

Huggssss!
    ~Donna
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    PhillieG said:

all give me comfort.
    Great exercise Cheryl.

Sweet
    What a sweet family you have!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    My boys
    I take care of my 2 young grandsons every day, and their hugs and kisses are what keep me going. The younger one is 22 months old, and when he cuddles up with me in the rocking chair, life is pretty daggone good. Our first granddaughter is coming in May, so there will be more love to share.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member

My Wife and

My Wife and kids…surfing… skiing...our two twin dogs (Quiggly and Pepper). The good things about them is that no matter what bad or dumb thing I do…the dogs or kids will eventually outshine me.
    chip
  • colon2
    colon2 Member Posts: 183
    tootsie1 said:

My boys
    I take care of my 2 young grandsons every day, and their hugs and kisses are what keep me going. The younger one is 22 months old, and when he cuddles up with me in the rocking chair, life is pretty daggone good. Our first granddaughter is coming in May, so there will be more love to share.

*hugs*
    Gail

Faith and Family
    My Faith is the main thing that brings me comfort. If I am feeling down, I try to talk to God and it is hard to stay depressed when I think of all the blessings in my life. The biggest blessing(after my salvation) is my family. I have a wonderful husband, 3 great children(2 boys 1 girl) My mother is 89 years old and is living with us, and she is,and always has been, my best friend. Then of course there are the GRANDCHILDREN. Those of you that are grandparents, know what I'm talking about. There is nothing like those prescious little ones. I have 4-2 boys ages 13 and 9 and 2 girls ages 8 and 9 1/2 months.They are all precious to me but the baby espescially, because my daughter considered not having her. I'm sure you know from my posts that I would be against abortion, so that was really hard when she talked about it. I know God was in control there, because at the time my daughter was living in San Diego, and had a drug problem, our relationship was very strained, to say the least. She only contacted us if she needed money. I would pray every night and ask God to put something in her life that would turn her around. Well, with my stubborn daughter it would have to be something major. It was, and her name is Zoe (which means life). My daughter actually went to the clinic 3 times to have the procedure, but she said something stopped her each time from actually going in. I know what that something was. It was God. She was still debating on having the abortion when she failed a drug test at the probation office, and since she was pregnant they immediately put her in jail. Well, she got the drugs out of her system, and cleaned up her act. She is now living with us, and taking excellent care of the baby, and once again, God in His great mercy, gave us a HEALTHY, beautiful baby. If I ever figure out how to insert pictures, I will post one of her.
    Boy did I get carried away or what?
    Anyway, my comfort comes from these things mostly, but if you read my birthday post then you know that diamonds are pretty good for comfort too. lol
    God Bless You,
    Carletta
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Faith, Family, Music
    Faith is my first comfort. I pray when I am happy and upset. Next, my family. I only need to be around my husband, or anyone of my children to be uplifted. Then my music, I love, romantic, soft pop and can just chill. Kim
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Great Post Cheryl!! Thank You!!!
    Hey Phil and Cheryl! I love everybody's photos...I want to to share too. How do you add a photo to a post?

Cheryl...the dog is so cute. And Phil...nice collection of guitars! I love the sound of a hollow body guitar - one of my favorite guitar sounds, especially in the hands of a master player. It all sounds good....jazz, rock, country, etc. Very cool. I have an Ovation (my favorite...it's easy to play for a lousy player like me) and an Ibanez. Good stuff!

So give it up! How do we post pictures?
  • jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member

Faith, Family, Music
    Faith is my first comfort. I pray when I am happy and upset. Next, my family. I only need to be around my husband, or anyone of my children to be uplifted. Then my music, I love, romantic, soft pop and can just chill. Kim

A lot of things
    Sitting down by the water front is very calming for me, going to live theatre totally keeps my mind off problems. Yo Yo Ma will be performing at TUTS theatre in Houston May 3 and I'm going to try and go. A fireplace also calms me and I really enjoy that too. I've always felt good about helping others, even if it was something small to help them out, not that I can do much of that now. I hoping once the chemo is over I can be a volunteer at MD Anderson for children fighting cancer. I would enjoy just going in and reading to them and hopefully take their mind of the cancer. Learning anything about India. When I had my brain tumors my doctor was very young and from India. I have never met anyone in the medical field with such excellent bedside manner. When I had to go in for "check ups" we would talk about all kinds of things, books, movies, things we enjoy. If I was upset and cried he would be understanding. He cares about people, not just making the "big bucks". I think I was fortunate to have such a brilliant doctor with such caring for the patient.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    PhillieG said:

all give me comfort.
    Great exercise Cheryl.

LOLOLOL!
    Love those pixs! So, DO give it up! How DO we add pictures or hot links?
  • CherylHutch
    usakat said:

Great Post Cheryl!! Thank You!!!
    Hey Phil and Cheryl! I love everybody's photos...I want to to share too. How do you add a photo to a post?

Cheryl...the dog is so cute. And Phil...nice collection of guitars! I love the sound of a hollow body guitar - one of my favorite guitar sounds, especially in the hands of a master player. It all sounds good....jazz, rock, country, etc. Very cool. I have an Ovation (my favorite...it's easy to play for a lousy player like me) and an Ibanez. Good stuff!

So give it up! How do we post pictures?

Inserting Images
    OK... here goes. The html tag for inserting images is very easy... it's getting the concept across that is a little harder to do ;)

< img src="URL of image" >

Above is the HTML tag that you must use, minus the spaces after and before the brackets < >. But if I didn't put the spaces there, it wouldn't show up in this post ;)

The next thing is you will have to have uploaded your photos to one of the online photo storage areas, like Flickr or if you have your own website, then you can upload your photos to your server, which would create an individual "URL". To put one of your own pictures, then it would have to be the URL to where your picture is on the internet ;)

< img src="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/495188067_1c5f57537a.jpg" >

The above is the coding for my picture of Bridget... you would replace the URL with the URL to your own picture, as well, take out the spaces between < and img and then at the end between .jpg" and >. Hopefully this makes some kind of sense :)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl