6 years since diagnosis--Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

Moesimo
Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
WOW!!!

I can't beleive that it has been six years since my diagnosis of stage 3 rectal cancer. I had some bumps in the road initially, but I am doing well now.

I was 46 and my youngest was 14 and a freshman in high school. He is now a junior in college and away on spring break.

To all the newbies, you will get through this. Take it one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time.

To all those still in the fight, my heart goes out to you all. Hang in there.

I will say a prayer for my friends on this board who are no longer with us.

I sometimes have survivor guilt, but I realize that it was out of my control that I am still here.

Have a great St. Patrick's Day!!! I know I will.

Maureen

Comments

• taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Congratulations!
    Congratulations, parner-in-arms (we were diagnosed around the same time -- have had slightly different paths -- but you have been such a constant friend and support to me along this crazy path).

Six years! Fantastic. You are a hero -- to me and to many others.

I understand the survivor guilt -- but DON'T - "just say no". For me, part of this 'journey' has been a deepened (but never complete!) understanding that there is little rhyme or reason as to who is affected, who survives and who passes on prematurely.
    More importantly, I know all our much-loved and departed angels (from this board) would be wanting you to celebrate and enjoy life for them as well as for you.

And Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm not Irish but my name is so I always enjoy the holiday!

Love,
    Tara
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    taraHK said:

Congratulations!
    Congratulations, parner-in-arms (we were diagnosed around the same time -- have had slightly different paths -- but you have been such a constant friend and support to me along this crazy path).

Six years! Fantastic. You are a hero -- to me and to many others.

I understand the survivor guilt -- but DON'T - "just say no". For me, part of this 'journey' has been a deepened (but never complete!) understanding that there is little rhyme or reason as to who is affected, who survives and who passes on prematurely.
    More importantly, I know all our much-loved and departed angels (from this board) would be wanting you to celebrate and enjoy life for them as well as for you.

And Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm not Irish but my name is so I always enjoy the holiday!

Love,
    Tara

good for you
    i love to read posts like this.i was dx in sept 08 and am currently doing my 12 treatments of oxy and 5fu.have already done #1and it was rough.dont know if i can do this but stories like yours keeps me going congrats and Godbless.....johnnybegood
  • valley
    valley Member Posts: 94
    SO WONDERFUL !
    Its just so wonderful to hear from you with this great news. Its what keeps me going. My husbands 3 year anniversary was in January. His 3 year surgery anniversary is May 8th the day we leave for New Orleans for a little 4 days of fun! He is still NED next scan in June!

Thanks for the great new!

Val
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Go maire tu! = Congratulations-Live Long!
    Greetings Maureen!

Wonderful news to hear you are doing so well. A perfect reason for us to celebrate St. Patrick's day with you!

May you always have
    Walls for the winds,
    A roof for the rain,
    Tea beside the fire,
    Laughter to cheer you,
    Those you love near you,
    And all your heart might desire!
    ~ Irish Blessing

Hugs!
    Katie
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Hi Maureen,
    Happy St.

Hi Maureen,

Happy St. Paddy's to you too! Glad to hear you're doing so well six years later! It's a definite inspiration and encouragement to others! I hope to be one 3-1/2 yrs from now being an encouragement to others, telling everyone how well I'm doing(I was diagnosed 1-1/2 yrs ago & am still fighting it)

Take care, have a great day, and thanks for sharing!

Lisa
  • RunnerZ
    RunnerZ Member Posts: 185
    Congratulations on the
    Congratulations on the anniversary! Ten years ago today I remember making my way through the St. Patrick's Day revelerly in New York City to get my preoperative chemoradiation. While waiting for a train a woman I knew came up to me and told me that she was a survivor of childhood cancer, and that I could beat this thing! I took her words to heart and never forgot them....and I DID BEAT cancer! Ten years later I am almost too busy to smell the roses sometimes, but I'm working, running, raising my kids and doing everything I ever dreamed about when I was in treatment! I am so happy for you and thank you for reminding us of the true success stories on this board!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Have a Guinness on me! \_/
    I recently had my 5 year living with cancer anniversary. It was on what we now (in my family) refer to as A$$ Wednesday since that was the day of my DX of Stage IV colon cancer. I too was 46 at the time with a 4 and 10 year old. It's not all fun and games and I am still in treatment, pretty much 5 years of ongoing treatment at that but it's mostly good. You learn to live with it. Attitude is a big part of it I've found and a sense of humor doesn't hurt. Please do not have survivor's guilt. I'm sure you fought hard and deserve to be here.
    All the best.

-phil
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    So happy for you!
    Congratulations Mauren, 6 years cancer free,thanks for taking the time to share with us.Enjoy life to the fullest!!
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    betina61 said:

So happy for you!
    Congratulations Mauren, 6 years cancer free,thanks for taking the time to share with us.Enjoy life to the fullest!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Congratulations on being 6 years cancer free! It's stories like yours that give us scared newbies alot of faith and hope! I hope I am also here to tell of encouraging stories 5 years down the road, I'm newly diagnosed with alot of faith and tears from crying spells of hopelessness at times, but when I read stories like this, it gives me more hope and inspiration as well!

Hugsss to you!
    ~Donna
  • Denise1966
    Denise1966 Member Posts: 90
    Congrats!!!!
    Maureen,

That is so great to hear...how wonderful. I am so happy for you. From the beginning of my journey last year you always answered my posts and gave me hope and strength, Thank you for that!

Congrats also to everyone else on here, it's nice to see so many longtime survivors! It gives everyone hope. I just "celebrated" my 1 year anniversary since diagnosis with a clean CT scan....here's to many more of those!

Happy St. Patty's Day,
    Denise
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Woooohoooo
    Hi Maureen,
    thought I'd use one of your favorite lines....big congrats, big hug....
    None of us know why we have survived to see this day, but we have a responsibility to make the most of each one. Happy day! All the best, Judy
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Woohoo!
    Maureen,

That's just fabulous! I know you're feeling great today! Thanks for sharing this inspiring news with us.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    happy St. Pats
    Maureen, (Love the Irish name),
    Thanks for sharing that great news. It is great to hear this when my husband is at the beginning of this fight (first chemo today).
    I hope you enjoyed your day.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Thank You
    Maureen said "I sometimes have survivor guilt, but I realize that it was out of my control that I am still here."

I am feeling that way right now. Thank you for sharing...it helps me share my story. I am only 5 months since DX and they are already saying there is no more cancer. Everything worked - radiation/chemo shrunk the tumor completely away before surgery, I didn't need an ostomy, I am 6 weeks out from surgery and regaining control, etc...it CAN happen!

Many blessings to you all!

Vicki