cold sensitivity

colon2
colon2 Member Posts: 183
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was told that drinking something cold would bother my throat. Does this usually start with the first chemo treatment or come on further along. i am on day 2 of first folfox treatment and so far , no side effects. I just had to try the diet coke over ice. I am drinking it thru a straw and so far I can't tell any difference. My onc. nurse told me she had one patient who chewed ice every day. I told her i wanted what he had. I am addicted to my diet coke over ice.
carletta

Comments

• dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Cold
    Everyone reacts differently to the chemo; sometimes the oxy does not cause any
    problems with cold drinks until after several treatments; with me it was the
    first treatment and I got tiny muscle spasms around my mouth and also my
    tongue was numb.....it took several weeks after the chemo had ended before
    I was not reacting to cold drinks or ice cream anymore.......I missed my ice
    cream a lot. I also could not drink water from the tap but had to warm it
    in the microwave before I could drink it and I used a straw. But again,
    each person is different. Thank goodness it does not last forever.

Barbara
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Platin
    I think it is just the platin chemos that do that , I may be wrong though. I am on oxiliplatin and 55* is my threshhold for cool drinks. Anything colder than that is like a burning sensation on my skin throat feet etc.......
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Buzzard said:

Platin
    I think it is just the platin chemos that do that , I may be wrong though. I am on oxiliplatin and 55* is my threshhold for cool drinks. Anything colder than that is like a burning sensation on my skin throat feet etc.......

not so bad with my first treatment
    but by the second one it hurt after I came home that tuesday. by the third time it immediately hurt, and has ever since. however, when I get unhooked on thursday from the pump, i can handle cold in small sips, and by sunday i am good to go until the next round. however, today i ate an oreo mcflurry, it went down easy and i ate all of it, went to talk and it seemed like the inside of my mouth and tongue were a bit swollen - that hasn't happened before. Gotta say I sounded funny!
  • pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    I remember...
    leaving my first treatment and driving through Chick Fil A. I got a chicken sandwich meal and didn't think a thing of it. I took a big ol drink of that Dr Pepper and it felt like frozen razor blades going down my throat. I would last for all about about 3 days before the next chemo. It went away for good about 1 1/2 weeks after my last Oxliplatin.

I hope you have better luck with it! I missed my Dew on ice.
  • irene77
    irene77 Member Posts: 28
    cold
    Just did my second treatment of chemo and experienced, cold with room temp. water is too cold, feels like razor blades in my throut. I have to keep drinking something. Need to flush out the chemo. Have been heating up water so that it is warm and putting a little cranberry juice it, tast a lot better,warm water with flavor. I can still get things out of the frig. with out a problem, unless it is in a cold glass.
    Irene77
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    irene77 said:

cold
    Just did my second treatment of chemo and experienced, cold with room temp. water is too cold, feels like razor blades in my throut. I have to keep drinking something. Need to flush out the chemo. Have been heating up water so that it is warm and putting a little cranberry juice it, tast a lot better,warm water with flavor. I can still get things out of the frig. with out a problem, unless it is in a cold glass.
    Irene77

Hi Irene!
    How was the nausea this time around? that's what I'm dreading..my 2nd treatment is today, and I already am scared.
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    cold sensitivity
    I remember getting the chemo drug oxiplatin. The sensitivity would start in right away. After about 5 days I could start to drink things cold again. A couple times I forgot and boy was I reminded right away as my throat felt like it would close. It's especially miserable in hot weather. Not to many sell beverages at room temp. Room temp water is nasty also. However lemonade usually always tasted good. I could usually do cold food if I mixed it with something hot. God bless
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    tiny one said:

cold sensitivity
    I remember getting the chemo drug oxiplatin. The sensitivity would start in right away. After about 5 days I could start to drink things cold again. A couple times I forgot and boy was I reminded right away as my throat felt like it would close. It's especially miserable in hot weather. Not to many sell beverages at room temp. Room temp water is nasty also. However lemonade usually always tasted good. I could usually do cold food if I mixed it with something hot. God bless

mmm, lemonade
    room temp lemonade is so far the best, and what's better is that I can taste it. I just bought the sunkist orange soda, I get tired of lemonade all the time. I also keep flavored hot teas, and sugar free hot chocolate on hand for the bad days.

Hey - we had a discussion about coffee suddenly tasting horrible. Gotta tell you guys - I spoiled myself, and bought dunkin donuts brand, french vanilla coffee - I'm hooked. It's smells great while brewing too.
  • Buzzard

mmm, lemonade
    room temp lemonade is so far the best, and what's better is that I can taste it. I just bought the sunkist orange soda, I get tired of lemonade all the time. I also keep flavored hot teas, and sugar free hot chocolate on hand for the bad days.

Hey - we had a discussion about coffee suddenly tasting horrible. Gotta tell you guys - I spoiled myself, and bought dunkin donuts brand, french vanilla coffee - I'm hooked. It's smells great while brewing too.

Yep...
    The French Vanilla is good for a change but you will eventually grow tired of it and go back to the norm...I think the Vanilla Bisque is what we bought and it was good for a while then ...burnout...
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Buzzard said:

Yep...
    The French Vanilla is good for a change but you will eventually grow tired of it and go back to the norm...I think the Vanilla Bisque is what we bought and it was good for a while then ...burnout...

cold
    Hi Carletta....my sensitivity started right away with the first round and lasted about 7 days...not looking forward to it but at least it didn't last that long.

Good luck and best wishes
    Mags
  • colon2
    Buzzard said:

Yep...

flavored coffee
    We mix Maxwell House Master Blend with Hazelnut (any Brand) half and half. Then just brew and enjoy. That way it does not have a strong hazlenut taste. i imagine you could do it with French vanilla too.
  • colon2
    Buzzard said:

Yep...

#1 is done.
    I have been unhooked this afternoon from the fanny pack, and it feels so much lighter. i know that is crazy, but it feels good. I guess I have been one of the fortunate ones, because I have had no side effects. Praise God. So now we wait for #2 on March 9th. I have to go get bloodwork on the 2nd and see the Dr. But so far so good. I am praying that everyone else has a good day too.
    Carletta
  • Buzzard
    colon2 said:

#1 is done.
    I have been unhooked this afternoon from the fanny pack, and it feels so much lighter. i know that is crazy, but it feels good. I guess I have been one of the fortunate ones, because I have had no side effects. Praise God. So now we wait for #2 on March 9th. I have to go get bloodwork on the 2nd and see the Dr. But so far so good. I am praying that everyone else has a good day too.
    Carletta

Not crazy......
    I always feel a lot better as soon as the needle is pulled out.....
  • pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    tiny one said:

cold sensitivity

when you said
    lemonade, it reminded me. I drank a lot of room temp Tang or even warmed in the microwave a bit. I hadn't had Tang since I was a little kid and it hit the spot. I also drank a lot of flavored teas (hot). This was through the summer and it did suck, but I was in the air conditioning all the time anyway because of the 5fu and sun exposure. (I have skin cancer also).
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    colon2 said:

#1 is done.
    Carletta

Congratulations!
    It's always good getting that first one done and out of the way... and hurray for you that you didn't have any side affects. Just don't be surprised if they hit you down the road because remember, the chemo is an accumulative affect. It builds in your system. But the fact you had a good first session, then there's a good chance you are going to be one of those that sails through all the sessions :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    pamysue said:

when you said
    lemonade, it reminded me. I drank a lot of room temp Tang or even warmed in the microwave a bit. I hadn't had Tang since I was a little kid and it hit the spot. I also drank a lot of flavored teas (hot). This was through the summer and it did suck, but I was in the air conditioning all the time anyway because of the 5fu and sun exposure. (I have skin cancer also).

Yum....
    I used to love Tang as a kid, my Wes still buys it..he says it's for the kids, but we all know better then that.. he loves that stuff. My onc said to buy Ovaltine and even Carnation Instant Breakfast drink for the protein, and you can drink those hot as well.

I love herbal teas, I drink a couple of cups a day since I stopped drinking coffee, which I love as well, but not sure if it's good for the cancer...I'm a Dunkin' Donuts fan (they have the best coffee, and Starbucks Frozen Mochachino. I buy that everytime I shop in the mall, even their hot Espresso Truffles coffee is amazing.

Lipton Orange Jasmine tea is a fave with some honey, it's 3:40 a.m. now, may as well take it now and relax, watch the kids go to school, and then have today to just rest..I am so off my sleeping patterns :(
  • colon2

Congratulations!
    It's always good getting that first one done and out of the way... and hurray for you that you didn't have any side affects. Just don't be surprised if they hit you down the road because remember, the chemo is an accumulative affect. It builds in your system. But the fact you had a good first session, then there's a good chance you are going to be one of those that sails through all the sessions :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

Thanks
    Yes it feels good to get the first one done. I am truly grateful that it was so uneventful, but I know that more than likely it is gonna hit harder with a future treatment. My mother has Multiple Myeloma and has been getting treatments for over 12 years. I have seen her do well at first and then as it accumulates, BAM. All we can do is take it one day at a time, and be grateful for the good days. God is in contol and i am counting on Him to get me thru this, with a little help from my friends. I have put all my faith and trust in Him for this journey, and I hope i don't sound like a religious nutcase, but since I was saved 4 years ago, I have seen many wonderful things happen and I know they are blessings from God. If there are any out there who aren't believers, then I hope my references to God don't offend you, but please understand, that is who I am. A truly blessed child of God who really has nothing to fear.
    Carletta
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Shayenne said:

Yum....
    I used to love Tang as a kid, my Wes still buys it..he says it's for the kids, but we all know better then that.. he loves that stuff. My onc said to buy Ovaltine and even Carnation Instant Breakfast drink for the protein, and you can drink those hot as well.

I love herbal teas, I drink a couple of cups a day since I stopped drinking coffee, which I love as well, but not sure if it's good for the cancer...I'm a Dunkin' Donuts fan (they have the best coffee, and Starbucks Frozen Mochachino. I buy that everytime I shop in the mall, even their hot Espresso Truffles coffee is amazing.

Lipton Orange Jasmine tea is a fave with some honey, it's 3:40 a.m. now, may as well take it now and relax, watch the kids go to school, and then have today to just rest..I am so off my sleeping patterns :(

coffee
    I don't know if cancer interacts with coffee, but I know I can't drink coffee when I am on chemo, with or without caffeine. Something in it makes my heart race and makes me very woozy. So, tea it is, which i actually prefer to coffee anyhow! Although I do like my specialty coffees every now and again!
    mary
  • Buzzard
    msccolon said:

coffee
    I don't know if cancer interacts with coffee, but I know I can't drink coffee when I am on chemo, with or without caffeine. Something in it makes my heart race and makes me very woozy. So, tea it is, which i actually prefer to coffee anyhow! Although I do like my specialty coffees every now and again!
    mary

Coffee
    If it interacts with chemo I hope it is a good interaction cause I drink on the average 10-12 cups a day that I actually drink. That is just about all I drink unless Im on chemo then I can't stand to smell it until about Saturday or Sunday...
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Buzzard said:

Coffee
    If it interacts with chemo I hope it is a good interaction cause I drink on the average 10-12 cups a day that I actually drink. That is just about all I drink unless Im on chemo then I can't stand to smell it until about Saturday or Sunday...

coffee
    obviously you have no problems with it! You would probably be doing bad if you DIDN'T drink it!
    mary