PSA 13 AND GLEASON 10 ON ALL BIOPSIES

RICH69
RICH69 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I AM CURENTLY TAKING HORMONE TREATMENTS, CASADEX, AND 1 LUPRON SHOT PER MONTH. HAVE BEEN ON THIS TREATMENT FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS, OBJECT TO SHRINK THE TUMOR SO THAT I MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR ROBOTIC SURGERY. DONT' UNDERSTAND THE PSA OF 13 AND THE HIGHEST GLEASON READING OF 10 ON ALL BIOPSIES. ANY COMENTS?

RICH69

Comments

• 2ndBase
    2ndBase Member Posts: 220
    With that high Gleason
    With that high Gleason score I would reccommend that you not have the surgery and just take radiation as the cancer has probably already spread as was the case with my psa of 24 and Gleason of 9. I have survived 5.5 years and the side effects are bad, but not as bad as all that. I am now 57 years old and hope to live another 10 years.
  • whubbs
    whubbs Member Posts: 77
    Rich,
    Your gleason score of

Rich,
    Your gleason score of 10 is high, essentially a 5+5 if you stated correctly.
    See a thorough wikipedia explanation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleason_score
    This sounds very advanced.
    You didnt mention your age, but from what I've read, robotic tends to be the gold standard on organ confined.
    Have you had bone scan and CT scan yet?
    Good luck with your treatment, be sure to ask lots of questions and search around on this invaluable resource.
    All the best.
    Wayne
  • RICH69
    whubbs said:

Rich,
    Your gleason score of

Rich,
    Your gleason score of 10 is high, essentially a 5+5 if you stated correctly.
    See a thorough wikipedia explanation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleason_score
    This sounds very advanced.
    You didnt mention your age, but from what I've read, robotic tends to be the gold standard on organ confined.
    Have you had bone scan and CT scan yet?
    Good luck with your treatment, be sure to ask lots of questions and search around on this invaluable resource.
    All the best.
    Wayne

I'M 69 YEARS OLD THIS MONTH
    I'M 69 YEARS OLD THIS MONTH .HAVE HAD BONE SCAN, MRI AND CAT SCAN. NOTHING IN THE BONE SCAN WHICH IS VERY GOOD. ONE LYMPH NODE SUSPECT AND CANCER HAS ADVANCED OUTSIDE OF THE PROSTATE INTO THE VASCULAR TISSUE. WILL HAVE A SONA GRAM ON THE 6TH OF MARCH AND MEET WITH THE SURGEN ON THE SAME DAY. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE NEXT STEP MIGHT BE. ANY MORE THOUGHTS WOULD BE WONDERFUL.
    THANKS
    RICH69
  • JoeMac
    JoeMac Member Posts: 77
    RICH69 said:

I'M 69 YEARS OLD THIS MONTH .HAVE HAD BONE SCAN, MRI AND CAT SCAN. NOTHING IN THE BONE SCAN WHICH IS VERY GOOD. ONE LYMPH NODE SUSPECT AND CANCER HAS ADVANCED OUTSIDE OF THE PROSTATE INTO THE VASCULAR TISSUE. WILL HAVE A SONA GRAM ON THE 6TH OF MARCH AND MEET WITH THE SURGEN ON THE SAME DAY. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE NEXT STEP MIGHT BE. ANY MORE THOUGHTS WOULD BE WONDERFUL.
    THANKS
    RICH69

High Gleason
    Aloha Rich69,
    I'm 67, 12 biopsy samples all 5 to 70% PCa, G = 9, bone scan clear, MRI & CAT clear. It was highly recommended that I receive EBRT/IMRT using ultra sound to position the beam, after three months of ADT to reduce the tumor size. The treatment was over a year ago, Sept-Oct 07. My background is radiation physics. I agreed to the treatment. I was in the 10% that suffered (and still suffer) long term side effects from the radiation.
    You must find a doctor that you trust, you can tell within the first few minutes whether you connect or not. You must ask many questions, see NCI websites on prostate cancer.
    No one told me that uretha strictures (bike riding, etc...) & hemorrhoids would be a problem, they were BIG PAINFUL PROBLEMS that could have been taken care of pror to treatment.
    JoeMac
  • whubbs
    whubbs Member Posts: 77
    RICH69 said:

THANKS
    RICH69

69 Years young
    With that said, I would suggest the Gleason score should indicate that treatment should be determined ASAP.
    Robotic is still an option for your age group, I would get a couple opinions.
    You didn't mention where you live.
    I highly recommend Dr. Tewari in NYC for Robotic.
    Good luck and continue to post your thoughts and findings.
  • RICH69
    whubbs said:

69 Years young
    With that said, I would suggest the Gleason score should indicate that treatment should be determined ASAP.
    Robotic is still an option for your age group, I would get a couple opinions.
    You didn't mention where you live.
    I highly recommend Dr. Tewari in NYC for Robotic.
    Good luck and continue to post your thoughts and findings.

I LIVE IN SOUTHERN
    I LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND AM BEING TREATED BY A GROUP OUT OF HOAG CANCER CENTER IN NEWPORT BEACH, CA. MY ROBOTIC SURGEN IS DR. JEFFRIE YOSHIDA, FORMERLY WITH CITY OF HOPE. ALSO HAVE AND ONCOLOGIST AND A RADIATION ONCOLOGIST AS PART OF MY REVIEW TEAM. ALL SEEM TO BE VERY CAPABLE AND ARE WILLING TO TAKE THE TIME IN ADDRESING OUR ISSUES AS THEY COME ALONG. WON'T KNOW UNTIL AFTER TH 6TH OF MARCH WHICH DIRECTION WE WILL BE GOING IN.