Stereotactic Core Needle Biopsy - PAIN?

CoeBruno
CoeBruno Member Posts: 19 Member
edited October 2023 in Breast Cancer #1
Yesterday, I had a Stereotactic Core Needle Biopsy - OUCH! I had a mammogram which looked suspicious, right breast only. My doctor had me go for additional mammography images and an ultrasound of my right breast. The Mammogram impression was an architectural distortion corresponding with a malignant appearing mass. Category 5-malignant features, biopsy recommended. The Ultrasound impression was a 1.2cm mass at 10 o'clock and 1.4cm mass at 11 o'clock. Category 5-malignant features, biopsy recommended. Needless to say, I made an appointment with my surgeon. The surgeon requested that I bring the films and reports from radiology with me. I did. That was yesterday morning 9:00 AM. My surgeon scheduled me immediately, the same day, for 12:30 PM to do a Stereotactic Core Needle Biopsy. To say the least, I was taken back by his urgency to do this procedure. Nonetheless, I agreed. However, I did ask for something to relax me, I was nervous. He assured me that I did not need anything, because it was relatively painless. He said I wouldn't feel a thing. I insisted, he agreed and gave me 5mg of valium 1 hour prior to the biopsy. OUCH, OUCH, OUCH! I had a terrible experience. I felt everything! I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! I am so happy that it is over. Although, I am extremely anxious about waiting until Friday (3 Days) for the results to come back from pathology. Can anyone share their experience with this procedure as I have described it? Can anyone tell me why the majority of women do not have this awful pain, yet others do? Was it my surgeon? Or perhaps the location or depth of my masses? I truly don't believe my Dr. is to blame. But, why so much pain?

Comments

• EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    I'm sorry that the procedure
    I'm sorry that the procedure hurt you so much. I can only speak for myself but I was injected with lidocaine and really had no issues with the biopsy. My lesion was not terribly deep.

Stick around here, there is a lot of experience and support.

Maureen
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Hi CoeBruno
    I am glad you decided to post on this board. You will find many answers here from our sweet courageous sisters/brothers in pink. I also had mamogram followed by ultrasound and same day Core Needle biopsy. They also told me it would not hurt, (just a little prick) THEY LIED! This was one of the most painful procedures i have had. I tried to be brave but ended up crying like a wounded animal. The pain was not expected,,I will NEVER do that again without some sort of numbing for the pain. My radiologist told me it was 99% cancer before i ever got my pathology report back so i was already studying up on what i would have to do before i got the report. I don't know why they think it won't hurt!!!My tumor was 2.5 cm so the surgeon gave me the choice lumpectomy with radiation or masectomy. I just wanted to make sure it was all gone so i chose masectomy on my left breast. This was a good decision I think as 6 lymph nodes were positive out of 21 that he took out.
    PLease post and let us know what you find out on Friday. You will be in my prayers. Good luck to you and God Bless
    Hang in there sweetie
    Jackie
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    rjjj said:

Hi CoeBruno
    I am glad you decided to post on this board. You will find many answers here from our sweet courageous sisters/brothers in pink. I also had mamogram followed by ultrasound and same day Core Needle biopsy. They also told me it would not hurt, (just a little prick) THEY LIED! This was one of the most painful procedures i have had. I tried to be brave but ended up crying like a wounded animal. The pain was not expected,,I will NEVER do that again without some sort of numbing for the pain. My radiologist told me it was 99% cancer before i ever got my pathology report back so i was already studying up on what i would have to do before i got the report. I don't know why they think it won't hurt!!!My tumor was 2.5 cm so the surgeon gave me the choice lumpectomy with radiation or masectomy. I just wanted to make sure it was all gone so i chose masectomy on my left breast. This was a good decision I think as 6 lymph nodes were positive out of 21 that he took out.
    PLease post and let us know what you find out on Friday. You will be in my prayers. Good luck to you and God Bless
    Hang in there sweetie
    Jackie

Sorry it was so bad
    So sorry that this was so painful for you and for you Jackie. I have had 2 stereotatic biopsies done. Neither was painful. Just a stick for the lidocaine and then a lot of pressure as they took the samples. I also had an ultrasound biopsy done. It was not painful either but it was more uncomfortable for me. I found it harder to have my arm over my head and leaning slightly sideways very uncomfortable. And it seemed like it took forever with the ultrasound wand to find the area. Just was annoying. I was scheduled for a ultrasound guided wire placement and a mammogram guided wire placement. One for the left and the other for the right, but they decided to do both with the mammo and I was relieved. It was not too bad either. Some more pricks and then probing and placement. Don't know why some are more painful. Could be area, depth, response to pain? We all have areas of greater sensitivity so this might influence. It is probably the same thing that governs the pain we are in after surgery. Some need mild meds and some need heavy duty stuff. Glad it is behind you and please let us know the outcome. There are so many on board here to help and answer questions. Glad your doctor is being so speedy with this.
    Stef
  • CoeBruno
    rjjj said:

Hi CoeBruno
    Hang in there sweetie
    Jackie

Jackie,

Thank you so much for your speedy and sincere response. I am sorry you had the severe pain that I, too, experienced. Thanks for including me in your prayers! I am so glad I posted on this board. You are an inspiration. I will let you know on Friday about my results. I will keep you in my prayers as well.

Colette
  • CoeBruno
    fauxma said:

Sorry it was so bad
    So sorry that this was so painful for you and for you Jackie. I have had 2 stereotatic biopsies done. Neither was painful. Just a stick for the lidocaine and then a lot of pressure as they took the samples. I also had an ultrasound biopsy done. It was not painful either but it was more uncomfortable for me. I found it harder to have my arm over my head and leaning slightly sideways very uncomfortable. And it seemed like it took forever with the ultrasound wand to find the area. Just was annoying. I was scheduled for a ultrasound guided wire placement and a mammogram guided wire placement. One for the left and the other for the right, but they decided to do both with the mammo and I was relieved. It was not too bad either. Some more pricks and then probing and placement. Don't know why some are more painful. Could be area, depth, response to pain? We all have areas of greater sensitivity so this might influence. It is probably the same thing that governs the pain we are in after surgery. Some need mild meds and some need heavy duty stuff. Glad it is behind you and please let us know the outcome. There are so many on board here to help and answer questions. Glad your doctor is being so speedy with this.
    Stef

Sorry it was so bad
    Stef,

I am so happy for you that you did not have the terrible experience Jackie and I had! I wasn't so sure about my Doctor being so aggressive, but after reading your comment - I am positive now that I was fortunate enough to have had a Doc that was speedy.

Thanks again,
    Colette
  • lauren08
    lauren08 Member Posts: 29
    my experience
    Hi CoeBruno,
    I had the Stereotactic Core Biopsy back in Dec. I was nervous also & took a xanax that morning before I went. Now when I got in there the nurse said I looked like a deer with highlights on me that's how scared I was but despite that I was able to lie still the whole hour long procedure. I didn't feel any pain however a blood vessel was hit & there was some discomfort at the end because I was bleeding a lot & the Surgeon had to apply pressure on my breast for at least 15mins to get the bleeding to stop. I didn't really feel real pain til after I was in the car on my way home. I used an ice pack & took Extra Strength Tylenol for the pain for a day or two. I was sore for a full month after but called the nurse & she said this is normal & it could take from weeks to months to heal.

I only had a teeny mark the size of the needle head at the site but at the bottom of my breast I was bruised a dark purplish-black which lasted almost a full month.

Speaking of waiting now I didn't want my results on Xmas eve so I made my Dr wait to call me. Unfortunately I got the news the day before NY EVE that I have DCIS so I was spared for Xmas but ruined my New Years!

Hope your results are good. Take Care.
    Lauren
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    CoeBruno said:

Jackie,

Thank you so much for your speedy and sincere response. I am sorry you had the severe pain that I, too, experienced. Thanks for including me in your prayers! I am so glad I posted on this board. You are an inspiration. I will let you know on Friday about my results. I will keep you in my prayers as well.

Colette

Best wishes, Colette!
    Moopy didn't experience much pain from her biopsy. Not that it was any fun, either, but by that time we had more than a suspicion that a mastectomy was in her immediate future anyway. May God bless you with peace of mind and calm as you await the results. I remember going through that with Moopy in mid-November, and the memories are not exactly happy. Keep in mind that whatever might happen, you are taking your first big steps toward your new Life After Cancer.

Joe
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Hi CoeBurno, Sorry you had
    Hi CoeBurno, Sorry you had to go through all that. I had 13 core biopsy's and even though they froze the site it hurt the more times they went back in. Near the end it was excruciating and I think they would have taken more if I would have let them. Afterward I went to the washroom and had a good cry. It was brutal!! I wouldn't do it again.

Perhaps the pain has to do with the location and how many times they go in. At first it was painful but I could handle it, after a while it was just too much.

Hope you get good results
    love
    jan
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    I had a needle core biopsy
    I had a needle core biopsy and was injected with Lidocaine so I can't give you any more info but I'm sure someone else might have had the experience. The waiting is the worse and I remember all those feelings too well. Please keep us posted. Hugs, Lili
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    AWEFUL!
    I think I have a good pain threshold, but having this done more than once was terrible. The first time I had biopsies done in both breasts, one site each. I was in an upright position guided by the mammogram machine. After the wires were placed I felt like an alien as the wires were taped down and I went to the OR for surgical biopsies with general anesthesia. Couldn't they have put me under before all that. The results were left side negative, left side atypia hyperplasia. Move ahead 3 years, another need for biopsies.Was able to have ultrasound biopsy on the right but MRI showed spots on both breast that need core needle biopsies. Not again!! This time I was face down on the MRI table. One wire placement on the left and TWO on the right. More alien feeling and sent to OR. I do believe the placement and depth of the suspicious area is a major factor. I must say my surgeon, radiologist and nurses were absolutely wonderful!! When my results came back DCIS on the right, this entire ordeal was a factor in deciding to have a bilateral mastectomy. I don't want to ever go through that experience again. Not to mention I was small built and there only so many biopsies a breast can endure without losing shape.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Pain
    It seems that how much pain one feels during any procedure depends on many, many factors. The skill of the physician/nurse for one. I had a core needle biopsy which didn't feel like a thing. However, my first neulasta shot was one of the most painful experiences of my life. The next two (with a different nurse) were just fine. Ugh. I am sorry you are going through this. Please let us know when you receive the results. We will be there for you no matter what they say.

Mimi
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    mimivac said:

Pain
    It seems that how much pain one feels during any procedure depends on many, many factors. The skill of the physician/nurse for one. I had a core needle biopsy which didn't feel like a thing. However, my first neulasta shot was one of the most painful experiences of my life. The next two (with a different nurse) were just fine. Ugh. I am sorry you are going through this. Please let us know when you receive the results. We will be there for you no matter what they say.

Mimi

Mimi, what a fabulous
    Mimi, what a fabulous picture!! Good to see you back, hope you are feeling OK.
    love
    jan
  • mimivac

Mimi, what a fabulous
    Mimi, what a fabulous picture!! Good to see you back, hope you are feeling OK.
    love
    jan

Thanks!
    I am feeling much better, thanks. The fatigue just caught up with me for a few days, and it was really frustrating. Up and running around now, though.

Mimi
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    mimivac said:

Thanks!
    I am feeling much better, thanks. The fatigue just caught up with me for a few days, and it was really frustrating. Up and running around now, though.

Mimi

Biopsies
    I'm not sure what I had but it was ultrasound led core biopy or something like that and it didn't hurt at all. Now yesterday my surgeon found a suspicious looking lump and insisted on 'aspirating' it..NOW THAT HURT! Ouchhhhhhhhh. And I have two weeks of sheer panic now to await the results, fingers crossed 'eh? Mimi, great pic and nice to see you back we all wondered where you had got to. Aortus, soooo glad you kept the turquiose jowl-to-jowl carpeting! Love to all J xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • mimivac
    tasha_111 said:

Biopsies
    I'm not sure what I had but it was ultrasound led core biopy or something like that and it didn't hurt at all. Now yesterday my surgeon found a suspicious looking lump and insisted on 'aspirating' it..NOW THAT HURT! Ouchhhhhhhhh. And I have two weeks of sheer panic now to await the results, fingers crossed 'eh? Mimi, great pic and nice to see you back we all wondered where you had got to. Aortus, soooo glad you kept the turquiose jowl-to-jowl carpeting! Love to all J xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks
    But sorry to hear about another procedure you had to have. I am sure it will be fine, though. Please try not to panic and let us know, OK?

Mimi
  • Chellebug
    Chellebug Member Posts: 133
    My pain was so bad from the
    My pain was so bad from the procedure on my left breast, that when I found out two months later that they needed to biopsy a lymphnode on the right side I had panic attacks almost everyday leading up to the event. It is good that your doctor is proceeding quickly and we will all be praying that after all the trauma (both emotionally and physically) that you've had to endure, that you will have good news on Friday.
  • MelissaMF
    MelissaMF Member Posts: 9
    Chellebug said:

My pain was so bad from the
    My pain was so bad from the procedure on my left breast, that when I found out two months later that they needed to biopsy a lymphnode on the right side I had panic attacks almost everyday leading up to the event. It is good that your doctor is proceeding quickly and we will all be praying that after all the trauma (both emotionally and physically) that you've had to endure, that you will have good news on Friday.

I might have an answer for you
    Colette,

When you go to the dentist, do you usually need alot of novacaine? I had the same experience you did. They gave me about 3x the amount of lanacaine or lidacaine (whatever it was called) and it still did not help. I was in so much pain through out the whole thing. I felt the entire procedure. They told me afterwards that if I normally need alot of novacaine from the dentist for pain, then this is in the same family and it probably wasn't working too well for me. So you may have the same issue I did. Just curious to see if you need several needles when you go to the dentist to numb you up before he starts drilling.....that might be your answer. I do hope you get good news back. They asked me to wait after my procedure and said they were 99% sure it was cancer...and it was...but I still had to wait the 3 days for the official final report of what kind. I do hope you get better news than we have had!!! Good luck!
  • ajbf
    ajbf Member Posts: 28
    biopsy
    I felt like I was a car they were working on . I felt everything too . the numming needle twisting and pushing in deeper, oh lord.. the jolt or flinch u dont feel (I though my nipple fell off..) and when u r only going to hear the engine part .( it felt like that numming needle ), then the marker they push in to u ,that was a little pinch,(I think the numming was starting to work) they didnot give me any valium. and I ask.. they promissed it wouldnt hurt,and every time I said that hurts they said oh it almost done, my biopsy came out clear, my mom ask so when r they going to remove the marker they put in. I replyed when I die they can have it back...then I told her they leave their so they know thats the spot where they biopsy. god bless annmarie
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    ajbf said:

biopsy
    I felt like I was a car they were working on . I felt everything too . the numming needle twisting and pushing in deeper, oh lord.. the jolt or flinch u dont feel (I though my nipple fell off..) and when u r only going to hear the engine part .( it felt like that numming needle ), then the marker they push in to u ,that was a little pinch,(I think the numming was starting to work) they didnot give me any valium. and I ask.. they promissed it wouldnt hurt,and every time I said that hurts they said oh it almost done, my biopsy came out clear, my mom ask so when r they going to remove the marker they put in. I replyed when I die they can have it back...then I told her they leave their so they know thats the spot where they biopsy. god bless annmarie

Hmmmmmm
    I am going in for my routine mammo of the healthy breast next week, should I be reminding myself of the pain of a stereotactic biopsy?? Ugh! I would rather give birth-at least there is something to hold when your done "delivering". Truly, tho I was numb, the closer they got towards behind the nipple area-the more discomfort I felt, moaning like i was in labor. So location probably has something to do with it.
    Stay strong.
  • CoeBruno
    I received my results...
    Well, everyone, I finally got the phone call. Yes, in fact, I do have two malignant tumors. Both are cancerous. First, I would like to thank each and everyone of you for you responses and support. I am so fortunate to have had you all to relate to and share our experiences as far as the biopsy prodeures. It is Friday night about 11:00PM and I am finally alone. Believe it or not, I feel a piece of serenity sharing with you all. A few days ago I didn't know much about breast cancer or the overwhelming population of people that are fighting this disease. I receieved the dreadful news about 4:30 this afternoon. On January 11th I turned 50 years old. There is absolutely no history of breast cancer in my family whatsoever! I guess it has to start somewhere, Why not me? Enough about that. No need to wonder about the reason, right? It is what it is. I am choosing to be a fighter and beat this, with a strong optimism. Unfortunately, I will not know the extent of my cancer until Tuesday morning when I will meet with my surgeon. Again, I am faced with the waiting game. One of my biggest fears at this point is telling my 10 year old daughter, Jamie. I chose to wait until Tuesday after I have more information. Quite frankly, I don't know enough myself at this point. Nevermind trying to explain this to a 10 year old. On the other hand, I did share the news with my son Joe who is 20 years old. He seems angry at this point. But, supportive. My husband Tom is heartbroken. But, he too, is there for me. I am so lucky! This isi so much to absorb. Hopefully, with a good nights sleep, I will be able to think more clearly tomorrow.

With much gratitude,
    Colette