IF YOU HAVE A TRACHEODOMY DONE CAN YOU STILL HAVE CATS?

COOKIE102248
COOKIE102248 Member Posts: 8
MY MOM WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER OVER A MONTH AGO. HER SURGERY IIS THE FIRST WEEK OF JANUARY. I HAVE EVERYONE TELLING HER THIS AND THAT AND WHAT SHE CAN DO AND WHAT SHE CAN'T DO. I HAVE DONE EXTENSIVE RESEARCH AND HAVE NEVER READ OR HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT ANIMALS. MY MOM WILL BE STAYING WITH ME, AND IF SHE DECIDES TO GO HOME WE ALL HAVE CATS. NOW, I KEEP A CLEAN HOUSE PLUS HAVE AIR PURIFIERS EVERY WHERE. ONE OF HER FRIENDS SAID SHE WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED AROUND CATS. WE CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE DOCTORS TO CALL US BACK TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS, FIGURES ON THAT ONE. ANYWAY, I WAS WONDERING FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HAD THE THROAT CANCER AND TRACH DONE, DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR PETS, AND I AM SURE THERE ARE A FEW WHO REFUSE TO GET RID OF THEIR BABIES. MY MOM LOVES HER CATS AND THEY ARE THE ONLY THING THAT IS KEEPING HER SPIRITS UP. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO ON THIS MATTER. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE SOME INPUT FROM THOSE WITH THIS TYPE OF EXPERIENCE.

THANK YOU,
COOKIE'S DAUGHTER, CINDY

Comments

• Jonathan7870
    Jonathan7870 Member Posts: 3
    The Cats
    Cindy, I am guessing since your mother has cats she is not allergic and has no adverse reactions. If they are house cats and declawed there should be no problem. Additionally, pets do provide emotional support and unless there are so many that she cannot physically care for them. I would not worry about the cats. Hope this helped.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949

The Cats
    Cindy, I am guessing since your mother has cats she is not allergic and has no adverse reactions. If they are house cats and declawed there should be no problem. Additionally, pets do provide emotional support and unless there are so many that she cannot physically care for them. I would not worry about the cats. Hope this helped.

Keep the cats!
    I agree with Jonathan. If there is no allergy, then there shouldn't be any irritation caused now either. And we must not underestimate the importance of the emotional healing and love that our beloved pets provide. Hope all works out ok. Eil
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    total agreement
    Cindy, I agree totally with the other respondents. I had half of my tongue replaced along with a radical neck dissection and never remotely considered getting rid of my cat or my two dogs, both of whom shed more hair than the cat.

I also had a tracheotomy while in hospital and the resulting hole in neck had to heal at home. Pets were a non-issue!

And as the others have indicated, pets are an important support group :). In fact, at the Chemo Palace I went to, it was not uncommon for people to bring those trained dogs into the waiting room to help people take their minds off of their problems.

The cats are cool!

Good luck to mom!

Take care,

Joe
  • blueroses
    blueroses Member Posts: 524
    I agree
    Pets are so theraputic and I know that I would be toast without my two. See if you can get an allergist to answer your questions for you but like Jonathon said as long as she isn't allergic to cats and if they are declawed then what the heck. Besides allergies docs are sometimes worried about cat scratches because of the possibility of infection or cat scratch fever but declawing solves that problem as long as their back claws don't do damage from the 'take off', lol. Your family doctor would be a good place to start in answering those questions and if you can't get him/her to call back make an appointment with the doc and go in and actually ask the question face to face. Could be some reason that physically they don't want your Mum to have cats but don't listen to just anyone unless they are qualified to give you the correct answer based on your Mum's conditions. People around you mean well I'm sure but lots of things they 'know' may turn out to be old wives tales and I wouldn't want your Mum to lose her animals for nothing. Sometimes I think pets are more theraputic than all the meds in my med drawer. Got to go, one kitty is beating up on the other one, sheeesh, just like kids. lol. Blessings, Blueroses.
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    cats
    My close friend had lymphoma and had a stem cell transplant. When he came home he was not supposed to be around animals, any houseplants. there was quite a long list. However the DR's should be able to advise you on this. I'm with alot of people though as to my cat and dog are like my kids. I wouldn't get rid of them.