need help convincing uncle to get treatment for basal cell carcinoma

JerseyGirl474
JerseyGirl474 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Skin Cancer #1
I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me out, and I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum.

My uncle currently has basal cell carcinoma; he has had 3 of them previously which were removed, but according to him, the doctors cut too deep and the biposied areas hurt too much while healing, and he doesn't want to go through that again. Both I and my aunt have been begging him to get treated - I told her to tell him that the pain from a biopsy isn't nearly as bad as the pain from cancer will be if he keeps ignoring it. Both his mother and twin brother have had basal cell carcinomas, and they're perfectly healthy now, so he thinks that he will have the same prognosis. He's under the impression that basal cell is a "harmless" cancer and doesn't really seem to accept that it's still malignant and still has the potential to metastisize if left untreated.

I'm not sure exactly how long he's had this current BCC, but I know it's been there for quite some time. May be months, may be years ... does anyone have ANY suggestions about how to make it click for him that he HAS to see a doctor and get treatment ASAP?

Comments

• Greggriggs
    Greggriggs Member Posts: 132
    Skin cancer
    Yep I had lots of them cut off then I lost a lung tell him do not mess around an get them removed.
    Greg
  • JerseyGirl474
    JerseyGirl474 Member Posts: 5

Skin cancer
    Yep I had lots of them cut off then I lost a lung tell him do not mess around an get them removed.
    Greg

Hi, I don't mean to pry, but
    Hi, I don't mean to pry, but if you could share the details of what you went through, I would really appreciate it. You can e-mail me if you'd prefer not to post here - jerseygirl 474 @ hotmail. com.

Thanks!

~Jennifer
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Basal Cell
    Hi Jersey Girl

My husband has basal cell cancers removed about six times a year. The reality is the longer he waits to see the doctor the more invasive the procedure will be. Not only that but should it be a melanoma cancer and he ignores it it certainly can have a more devastating result. Please do all you can to encourage him to continue to have these removed on a regular basis as it will be much easier than dealing with a full blown cancer dx that requires chemo, rads and surgery.

My best to you,

RE