Where are you from?

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Joy1216 said:

KC Barbecue and Tornadoes
    I grew up in a small town in Missouri outside Kansas City. When I was in college, I moved to Alabama and stayed there 22 years. I loved the South, but moved back to the Midwest for a promotion. Guess I love tornadoes, since both Alabama and Missouri have frequent tornadoes. I moved to Lee's Summit, which is a suburb of Kansas City, 16 years ago. I met my current husband here, so I'll be eating Kansas City barbecue instead of southern barbecue for the rest of my life.

MMMMMMM KC beef!!!
    I was born in Kansas City, KS (it was cheaper than the Missouri side hospitals). Sigh, never lived in the state I was born....

I lived in K.C. for my first 6 years...my grandparents lived there forever.

I went back over the years.....LOVED the Stockyards restaurant....

Thanks for the memories!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    jams67 said:

smokin'
    Southern California is smokin' right now. Hope they get it under control soon.
    Jo Ann

Not that I can see....but thanks for the info...I will turn on the news....teehee, this semi-retirement plays havoc with my information networks....I think there is one Tuhunga...that's a bit north of here...

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    jams67 said:

smokin'
    Southern California is smokin' right now. Hope they get it under control soon.
    Jo Ann

Yup...Sylmar...and one just east...
    It has all sorts of homes burned, freeway closures, WHAT a MESS!!!

This is west of us...sigh...in an area affected by fires last year....

The winds bring out all the nutcases that just LOVE to watch things burn...sigh...

Hugs, Kathi

P.S. Porter Ranch now in flames...Chatsworth...NUTS!
  • laudena
    laudena Member Posts: 11
    Northern California Transplant
    High all, I was born and raised in Ohio, spent 40 years in San Diego, CA, and the last 9 in Sacramento, CA. I think we'll stay put now.
  • cancer0205
    cancer0205 Member Posts: 9
    2bhealed said:

NORTHWOODS CHICK
    Greetings from the North!

I live in Northern Minnesota in a log cabin on 40 acres with the wolves, moose, bear, and mountain lion who literally live in our forest. Yesterday my little one (in the photo with me) and my hubby and I were hiking in our woods and heard a moose. Many a night we hear the call of the wolves and my sled dogs answer in song. When I go dogsledding I see mountain lion tracks in the snow and scat and urine along the trail.

But before this......born in Wisconsin, went to Madison GO BADGERS!, moved to Germany to be with my future hubby (whom I met there--he's Canadian-American), came back and moved to Montana to fly fish and ski, had a baby and then moved back to Wisconsin had three more babies before moving to MN 15 years ago. Then had another baby 8 years ago. Then got colon cancer and moved onto these boards. Am a lifer. What can I say! haha

I love the winter but not 9 months of it. Minnesota Nice is alive and well up here, right Mark?

peace, emily

Minnesota
    Hello Minnesotans and everyone else! I was born and raised in North Minnesota. I moved to the cities 30 years ago after graduating from High School. My parents had a cute little cabin that I have many wonderful memories from. My family still gets "Up North" several times a year to stay with a cousin who has a home on the lake. I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer last February and have just completed 12 cycles of chemo. My scans show NED, so hip hiphorray! You betcha I am ecstatic and am praying now for no reoccurance. What part of northern Mn do you live? I love Mn especially Fall but am not too excited about Winter!
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    msccolon said:

Ike
    Hi Claudia, good to meet you too! I am in the foothills of NC, so rarely do we get much fallout from hurricanes. They did get quite a bit of fallout from Hugo, but Hugo was such a LARGE storm that it wreaked havoc far and wide! I wasn't living here then, we were up in Newport, RI when Hugo hit, then moved to Charleston right after (Jan 1990). We lived in the Charleston area for 9 years, then moved to Chesapeake, VA. Lived there not quite 2 years, then the husband retired. We moved here and have since divorced. I stayed, he went elsewhere to find work (a lot of industry is closing here, not much for an ex-Navy guy to make a living at). We did travel through Indiana (I remember the Indianapolis speedway) on a transfer to Great Lakes, Ill, but that's my only experience with Indiana. Being a Navy brat and wife kept me on the coasts except for travel! Prayers for continued NEDness for you!
    Mary

Dear Tattooed lady
    When did you live in Newport? We were stationed at Quonset Point RI where I was on the WASP. Then to San diego and various assignments. I'd enlisted in 67 and was a QM striker, then VN heated up, so they sent 500 of us who had high scores and were motivated to Annapolis to go through OCS there. Couldn't go to Newport because there were too many SV diewees there learning how to run boats into each other. Like most, I saw the world and elected to stay in the Reserves when I got off ACDU. Ended up as an 05 with four commands before I retired. Loved the travel, hated the separation. When you on a carrier, you out at sea mostly, as well as the support ships that go with it.
    We're both from Kansas and other than Navy lived in Illinois and then Arizona since 80. Really like AZ. Temps tonight were in mid-70s, so I took a slow walk with Mary to go get the mail. And I do mean a slow walk.
  • trainer
    msccolon said:

Ike
    Hi Claudia, good to meet you too! I am in the foothills of NC, so rarely do we get much fallout from hurricanes. They did get quite a bit of fallout from Hugo, but Hugo was such a LARGE storm that it wreaked havoc far and wide! I wasn't living here then, we were up in Newport, RI when Hugo hit, then moved to Charleston right after (Jan 1990). We lived in the Charleston area for 9 years, then moved to Chesapeake, VA. Lived there not quite 2 years, then the husband retired. We moved here and have since divorced. I stayed, he went elsewhere to find work (a lot of industry is closing here, not much for an ex-Navy guy to make a living at). We did travel through Indiana (I remember the Indianapolis speedway) on a transfer to Great Lakes, Ill, but that's my only experience with Indiana. Being a Navy brat and wife kept me on the coasts except for travel! Prayers for continued NEDness for you!
    Mary

Dear Tattooed lady
    When did you live in Newport? We were stationed at Quonset Point RI where I was on the WASP. Then to San diego and various assignments. I'd enlisted in 67 and was a QM striker, then VN heated up, so they sent 500 of us who had high scores and were motivated to Annapolis to go through OCS there. Couldn't go to Newport because there were too many SV diewees there learning how to run boats into each other. Like most, I saw the world and elected to stay in the Reserves when I got off ACDU. Ended up as an 05 with four commands before I retired. Loved the travel, hated the separation. When you on a carrier, you out at sea mostly, as well as the support ships that go with it.
    We're both from Kansas and other than Navy lived in Illinois and then Arizona since 80. Really like AZ. Temps tonight were in mid-70s, so I took a slow walk with Mary to go get the mail. And I do mean a slow walk.
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Central MA
    I have lived in central MA all my life.

Maureen
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    trainer said:

Dear Tattooed lady

Lived in Newport 87-90
    We transferred to Newport October of 87, shortly after the birth of my second child. I was exercising in shorts and a tank top in Charleston the week before we moved, and within 3 days of our arrival in Newport we had 9 inches of snow on the ground! It was a VERY rude awakening! My twin was stationed in the area and had been there for a while already, so he helped us assimilate. We transferred back down to the Charleston area January of 90, right after Hugo hit. My daddy started out as an E1 stationed on ships and retired O5 as Hospital Administrator of the hospital in Beaufort. While I don't remember my father's time at sea, by the time we were old enough to have real memories, we were moving every 6 months to a year as daddy got his education. He was commissioned at Bethesda; from then on we were at more marine bases, and the only Navy base I remember being stationed at was Port Hueneme, which was a CB base. I went to high school at Camp Lejeune. My husband, however, was surface and did many a tour. I naturally liked to move. Small world, huh?
    Mary
  • HDLadyRider
    HDLadyRider Member Posts: 10
    Michigan
    My hubby and I were both born and raised in Grand Rapids, MI but now live about 25 miles NE of there in a little rural place called Grattan Twp, MI. It's peaceful, quiet and beautiful. Grand Rapids is also home to the new "Medical Mile" with a brand new Cancer Center that is 6 stories tall and loaded with all the latest.

I love reading these. It's amazing how far the posts come from, yet all join up in one little world here:-)

Janine
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member

Wahoo!
    Hey Kay,

I live in Cedar Park, TX, so close to Round Rock! I'd love to get together with you sometime to have a mini-palooza.

I grew up in Alexandria, VA and when I got married we moved to Springfield, VA. Once we had our first daughter we moved to The Woodlands, TX and now we're here in Cedar Park, TX...about 15-20 minutes from Austin, TX.

I'm so sad I won't be able to make it to Colonpalooza this year, but hope to make it next year.

Hugs,
    Cheryl

We're Neighbors!
    Hi Cheryl,

Please forgive the delay in responding to you. I didn't have that email notice turned on, and I didn't read your post until now. We will definitely get together for a mini-palooza. I'm excited to know you live so close.

Hugs,

Kay
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    doris2657 said:

Kay

Hi Kay

My Son goes to the University of Texas I see him once a month we live near Houston,I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer with mets to ovaries,maybe one day we could meet.

God bless you

Doris

I'd Love It!!!
    Hi Doris,

I am just now reading your message. I would love to meet you. I'll email you my numbers.
    Thinking of you.

Hugs,

Kay
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Another Coloradan
    I am from Fort Lupton - about 25 miles NE of Denver. Originally from Ohio, then California, then Illinois, now here. But we will be in Colorado forever now. Not only is it beautiful, but my daughter (and therefore my 3 grandsons) lives here.

Anyone in the area?

Vicki
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Coast to Coast
    I now live in Connecticut. I was born in Seattle, then moved to Chicago....Milwaukee...and now Northern Connecticut.

It is intereting to see the range of geography around the world involved in this fight.

Best to All

Mike
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    menright said:

Coast to Coast
    I now live in Connecticut. I was born in Seattle, then moved to Chicago....Milwaukee...and now Northern Connecticut.

It is intereting to see the range of geography around the world involved in this fight.

Best to All

Mike

All Over
    I currently live in Arizona. I have lived all over the US to include Alaska and Guam. If I had the opportunity to pick a place I would live it would be Albuquerque, NM. For me its the greatest place to live.

God Bless
    Beth
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    2bhealed said:

Email
    hi there,

I privately emailed you.

peace, emily

Your Treatment
    WOuld you mind giving me some information on how or what kind of treatment you did? I have read in other post that you did not do chemo but did it another way and you have been cancer free for about 6 years now. Was it covered by insurance? Just looking at different options.
    Any info is greatly appreciated. My personal email is DOROOKIE2003@yahoo.com if you want to respond there.

Thanks
    Beth
  • trainer
    I am from Arizona
    We've lived in Scottsdale, Arizona since 1980. Love it here. Originally from Atchison, Kansas.
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    crg123 said:

From Michigan...
    I am from Michigan. But not from the beautiful rural part, I live in southeastern Michigan, near Detroit. Yes, we have a crooked (former) mayor, and lots of crime. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. We have the Detroit Lions, and the Detroit Tigers :-(
    But more importantly, we have 4 beautiful seasons. (The leaves are just beginning to display their artwork ... Thanks, God!) We have convenient access to excellent health care. We are never more than 5 miles from navigationable waters = lots of boating. The Great Lakes surround us. Most important of all, this is where my family lives. All of my family and in-laws are all within a 25 mile range. We can be there for each other in a drop of a hat. No plane rides needed. It's a beautiful thing. I wouldn't trade THAT for the world!
    Cheryl

CP6
    Cheryl, Just checking to see if you got home ok. It was great to meet you and hang out telling stories of survival. Let me hear from you sometime. I have been exausted since returning to my normal life. Hard to get up and running again. I had some allergy issues when I returned. Not sure if part of it was jet lag or just eating and drinking all the junk we did. I'm sure after a B-12/mag. and an allergy shot on Friday that tomorrow will be a better day. It looks like it will be Halifax next fall. I understand why you can't make it, but just want you to know that I really enjoyed meeting you.
    Jo Ann
  • trainer
    jams67 said:

CP6
    Cheryl, Just checking to see if you got home ok. It was great to meet you and hang out telling stories of survival. Let me hear from you sometime. I have been exausted since returning to my normal life. Hard to get up and running again. I had some allergy issues when I returned. Not sure if part of it was jet lag or just eating and drinking all the junk we did. I'm sure after a B-12/mag. and an allergy shot on Friday that tomorrow will be a better day. It looks like it will be Halifax next fall. I understand why you can't make it, but just want you to know that I really enjoyed meeting you.
    Jo Ann

CP6
    I'm guessing you were referring to Colon Palooza 6 in your note. Any idea when photos will be posted of the event? Also, if Halifax is the site for next year, has a date been set? We don't want to miss it. Thanks!
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Joy1216 said:

KC Barbecue and Tornadoes
    I grew up in a small town in Missouri outside Kansas City. When I was in college, I moved to Alabama and stayed there 22 years. I loved the South, but moved back to the Midwest for a promotion. Guess I love tornadoes, since both Alabama and Missouri have frequent tornadoes. I moved to Lee's Summit, which is a suburb of Kansas City, 16 years ago. I met my current husband here, so I'll be eating Kansas City barbecue instead of southern barbecue for the rest of my life.

BBQ
    My favorite is Fiorella Jack Stack BBQ. Have you tried this one? I would travel a great distance to enjoy this restaurant.

I am suddenly hungry.

Mike