Where are you from?

Comments

• Wisconsin!
    I was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and now live about 35 miles west of the city. We have a home in the Kettle Moraine forest w/ 3 acres of land. I live in one of the most beautiful states! (most people don't know that) Fall is just around the corner...my favorite time of year. Love seeing all the colors..we have LOTS of woods! Pumpkins...apple pies..Life is GOOD!
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    rmap59 said:

The hills of Tennessee
    Hi All,
    I just got back from sunny California, started at Salt Lake City, Zion National Park, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and left my 22 year old daughter to work in the Big Bear Mountains of San Bernadino. It was fun and I think I would like to live out west some day. Anyway I was born and raised in Dolly Parton country at the foot of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is the most visited park in the nation but I find that a lot of people especially out west have never heard of it?? The mountains are not big and spectacular like the west but very peaceful and calming. We live in a log cabin in the woods with 2 cats and 4 dogs. My town is Sevierville, TN and we own a small motel in Pigeon Forge, TN. If you ever want to come to see my neck of the woods I have the place for you to stay. This was a fun post to read. Thanks Mary.
    Robin

Pigeon Forge
    Hi Robin,

Is PF near that Christmas town? If it is we've driven through. Do you end up at Dollywood and Gatlinburg?

I love the Smokies. You live in a beautiful part of the country.

peace, emily
  • 2bhealed

Wisconsin!
    I was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and now live about 35 miles west of the city. We have a home in the Kettle Moraine forest w/ 3 acres of land. I live in one of the most beautiful states! (most people don't know that) Fall is just around the corner...my favorite time of year. Love seeing all the colors..we have LOTS of woods! Pumpkins...apple pies..Life is GOOD!

CHEESEHEADS!
    hi jj&k's mom

I was born and raised in Racine! Hi neighbor! You DO live in one of the most beautiful states from start to finish and all points in between. I tell people that all the time too. WI is the best kept secret to the rest of the states *(not to IL --they know since they buy up our lake land for their cabins haha).

It must be awesome to live in Kettle Moraine.

We presently live in northern MN but will be back to SE WI soon.

peace, emily
  • morningstar4
    morningstar4 Member Posts: 15
    Michigan
    Hi everyone I am from a small town in Michigan called Plainwell, it's between Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids.My husband and I own a dairy farm and raise all of the feed for the cattle. And it's the begining of autum harvest. I grew up on a small inland lake and fell in love with a good looking farm boy.I was Dx July of 2006.stage 2 5fu,rads.Resection Jan.2007. Take down July 2007.As I was cutting down the sun flower heads from my garden and preparing them to dry for next years seed,I guess I lost track of the progress I have gained just since spring.I don't use a cane anymore and just about all of numbness and pain are gone from hips legs and arms I had lots of nerop. time does heal.Saying prayers for everyone May God Bless. Judy
  • 2bhealed said:

CHEESEHEADS!
    hi jj&k's mom

I was born and raised in Racine! Hi neighbor! You DO live in one of the most beautiful states from start to finish and all points in between. I tell people that all the time too. WI is the best kept secret to the rest of the states *(not to IL --they know since they buy up our lake land for their cabins haha).

It must be awesome to live in Kettle Moraine.

We presently live in northern MN but will be back to SE WI soon.

peace, emily

Small world
    Small world, Emily! My youngest daughter, Kate and her family live in Racine. Are you moving back or just coming for a visit?
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375

Michigan
    Hi everyone I am from a small town in Michigan called Plainwell, it's between Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids.My husband and I own a dairy farm and raise all of the feed for the cattle. And it's the begining of autum harvest. I grew up on a small inland lake and fell in love with a good looking farm boy.I was Dx July of 2006.stage 2 5fu,rads.Resection Jan.2007. Take down July 2007.As I was cutting down the sun flower heads from my garden and preparing them to dry for next years seed,I guess I lost track of the progress I have gained just since spring.I don't use a cane anymore and just about all of numbness and pain are gone from hips legs and arms I had lots of nerop. time does heal.Saying prayers for everyone May God Bless. Judy

Cane and leg pain
    Congratulations, Judy! Sounds like you are doing wonderfully well!

I noticed you said you don't use a cane anymore and just about all of the numbness and pain are gone from your hips, legs and arms. Now, I know the numbness is the neuropathy, but what kind of leg pain were you experiencing and was it chemo induced?

I have leg pain, in my thighs and knees. My knees I know is arthritis and I think the chemo has aggravated it... but I was wondering if the muscle pain in my thighs was somehow related to the chemo. You are the first one I've heard who has specifically mentioned leg pain and having to use a cane. I have used a cane too, although am getting better at not having to use it all the time.

Thanks!

Cheryl
  • doris2657
    doris2657 Member Posts: 38
    Kanort said:

Wow!
    I'm from Round Round, Texas which is a suburb of Austin. Hook'em Horns!! If anyone is ever in my neck of the woods, please contact me for a mini-palooza!!!

Hugs,

Kay

Kay

Hi Kay

My Son goes to the University of Texas I see him once a month we live near Houston,I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer with mets to ovaries,maybe one day we could meet.

God bless you

Doris
  • morningstar4
    morningstar4 Member Posts: 15

Cane and leg pain
    Congratulations, Judy! Sounds like you are doing wonderfully well!

I noticed you said you don't use a cane anymore and just about all of the numbness and pain are gone from your hips, legs and arms. Now, I know the numbness is the neuropathy, but what kind of leg pain were you experiencing and was it chemo induced?

I have leg pain, in my thighs and knees. My knees I know is arthritis and I think the chemo has aggravated it... but I was wondering if the muscle pain in my thighs was somehow related to the chemo. You are the first one I've heard who has specifically mentioned leg pain and having to use a cane. I have used a cane too, although am getting better at not having to use it all the time.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Leg Pain
    Hi cheryl, I believe the muscles that were involved from treatments became very weak over time.walking, and exercising has helped regain better muscle control pain started in hips radiated across frontleg ended just below knee.

got the go around answers from chemo doc,rad doc, and colorectal doc, each blamed each others treatments. My primary care doc. said probably a combination of all treatments,each person reacts differently. I don't think anybody has all the answers to treatments or cures but I think we'll take what we can get and hope for the best.Treating cancer phyically and emotionaly as a whole body experiance made me more awhere of directing positive thoughts,and a stronger attitude toward a better recovery.I share the pain, fears, and tears of everyone out here that has been touched by cancer, but most importantly I share your hope. Judy
  • 2bhealed

Small world
    Small world, Emily! My youngest daughter, Kate and her family live in Racine. Are you moving back or just coming for a visit?

Email
    hi there,

I privately emailed you.

peace, emily
  • crg123
    crg123 Member Posts: 80
    From Michigan...
    I am from Michigan. But not from the beautiful rural part, I live in southeastern Michigan, near Detroit. Yes, we have a crooked (former) mayor, and lots of crime. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. We have the Detroit Lions, and the Detroit Tigers :-(
    But more importantly, we have 4 beautiful seasons. (The leaves are just beginning to display their artwork ... Thanks, God!) We have convenient access to excellent health care. We are never more than 5 miles from navigationable waters = lots of boating. The Great Lakes surround us. Most important of all, this is where my family lives. All of my family and in-laws are all within a 25 mile range. We can be there for each other in a drop of a hat. No plane rides needed. It's a beautiful thing. I wouldn't trade THAT for the world!
    Cheryl
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Sandi1 said:

Thank you
    Yes, my husband will be having a medi port put in up around his collar bone before he leaves the hospital. Thankyou for telling me about the 24 hr number, I will make sure that I get one. The Oncologist told us that the regimen he's going on should do well, she said he probably won't have any side effects and if there are some they should be minor. That's good because he's anxious to get back to work. His entire family will be coming down for the surgery and his mother will be staying with me until he gets home from the hospital "so I won't be alone" - but I have two teenagers living in the house - I"m never alone! I will try to get on here maybe on Tuesday and let you all know how things went. We are very optimistic that things will turn out OK.

thank you and good luck to you in your journey.

Sandi

port
    My port was in when I woke up from my colon surgery. Better to do while you are out if possible.
    Jo Ann
  • jams67

Wahoo!
    Hey Kay,

I live in Cedar Park, TX, so close to Round Rock! I'd love to get together with you sometime to have a mini-palooza.

I grew up in Alexandria, VA and when I got married we moved to Springfield, VA. Once we had our first daughter we moved to The Woodlands, TX and now we're here in Cedar Park, TX...about 15-20 minutes from Austin, TX.

I'm so sad I won't be able to make it to Colonpalooza this year, but hope to make it next year.

Hugs,
    Cheryl

Mansfield TX
    I live in Mansfield TX which is not far from Fort Worth. My daughter lives in Cedar Park. I've lived several places in TX and spent 3 years in Fairbanks Alaska.
    Jo Ann
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    UPSTATE NEW YORK
    Upstate NY here. Not far from the capital near Albany. Area called the Mohawk Valley near the Mohawk River.
  • butterfly23
    butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
    RHODE ISLAND
    Hi I am from the smallest state Rhode Island!!!!!!!!!!!
  • changing2
    changing2 Member Posts: 118
    NJ
    From south Jersey here!Atlantic County.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    changing2 said:

NJ
    From south Jersey here!Atlantic County.

Western Kentucky
    Been here all my 54 years....never want to live anywhere else, and probably never will.
  • alexco
    alexco Member Posts: 4
    peterhw said:

Hi Sandi
    My chemo is Folfox+Avastin. The same as your husband's regiment. Your doc probably will order a medi-port for your husband. It is done by outpatient surgery takes about 45 minutes. Then you will have a training session with the nurse to explain the procedure and possible side effects. The first two chemo are the most difficult ones for me. I think it is because I am nervous. Once you know how it works it will become easier. Make sure you get an emergency number from your doctor. They should provide you a 24 hour call number just in case you have emergency. I have to use it once due to high fever in the middle of the night. I am glad I made that call. It was a deadly staph infection in my medi-port. I was hospitalized for 7 days to pump antibiotics to my blood. I have a new medi port now and it is working very well.
    Relax and drink plenty of fluid. My doctor said that 75% of people response very well to Folfox and Avastin. You husband should be able to handle it.

Good luck.

Peter

Your healthy diet?
    Hi Peter,

Am about to have my 3rd Chemo infusion via my port.The infusion starts at the hospital contiues at home as I carry the case with me for 72hours.Im really curious to know about diet as my diarrea during & following Chemo is extreme?Plus it wipes me out for a week?This is my second bout wth Colon Cancer its now stage 111.Im extremely weak & frail.Would love to want to eat.Please give me some tips.

Gratefully alexco
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    usakat said:

San Diego in November!
    Hi Krista!

Bob and I will be in San Diego in November after Colon Palooza. We'll be there November 9-11...perhaps we can meet for lunch...a little mini-palooza...we can bring the party to you! Although, please consider joining us for the big Palooza in San Francisco from November 5 - 9. It's great fun!

I can hardly wait to see my family in SoCal!

FINE...I'll miss you again!!
    This darn Turkey....I'll be gone till the 16th....NUTS!

Enjoy your day....hug all at Colonpalooza....I was sooooo relieved about your tummy....please call me sometime!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Then land of fruits and nuts....
    Southern California here....half way between L.A. and Palm Springs...

It's beautiful right now, breezy and cool, but sunny and warm in the afternoons. I am right now looking out my window toward the mountains...I can see them this time of year, no smog!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • jams67
    KathiM said:

Then land of fruits and nuts....
    Southern California here....half way between L.A. and Palm Springs...

It's beautiful right now, breezy and cool, but sunny and warm in the afternoons. I am right now looking out my window toward the mountains...I can see them this time of year, no smog!!!

Hugs, Kathi

smokin'
    Southern California is smokin' right now. Hope they get it under control soon.
    Jo Ann