My experience at Loma Linda

pgustaf249
pgustaf249 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I was treated with proton beam therapy at Loma Linda University Medical Center in Loma Linda, CA. The patient support was tremendous, both in the treatment room and outside the treatment room. While each case is different, it appears that a common journey to asub-1.0 PSA takes around two years. My experience appears to be following that trend. I was blessed to have found my PSA to be cut by more than half on the first post-treatment PSA test. The side effects during treatment started at about 50-65% of the way through the treatment with periodic increased urination at night (no big deal since I was seeing some of that before I went out there), some fatigue (corrected by increased protein intake) and a light "tan" at the spot on each hip where the beam entered the body. I've used Flomax since treatment, for which the need has decreased little by little over time. Prior to treatment I was told that other possible side effects might be blood in the urine, painful or difficult urination and diarrhea; I did not experience any of those side effects.

During the consult I heard the most objective presentation of all my treatment options. It was the most objective presentation of options that I've ever received for any condition for which I've ever sought treatment. There was absolutely no pressure to select proton treatment. Likewise, I was never told that I should stay away from any of the other options. Information was presented in a completely unbiased manner.

I would be delighted to visit with anyone via phone or in person. Just send me a PM and I'll give you my contact information.

Comments

• blai
    blai Member Posts: 1
    Loma Linda Proton treatments
    the West coast is the only center where u can receive the Proton. I am on my 3rd. week of the Calypso radiation treatment and so far so good. Hope it works as well as your treatment. Good luck
  • Chaaaz
    Chaaaz Member Posts: 2
    blai said:

the West coast is the only center where u can receive the Proton. I am on my 3rd. week of the Calypso radiation treatment and so far so good. Hope it works as well as your treatment. Good luck

Proton Beam Therapy
    You can also receive Proton Beam Radiation Therapy/Treatment at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
  • pgustaf249
    pgustaf249 Member Posts: 2
    blai said:

other proton locations
    In addition to Loma Linda there is Boston, Jacksonville, Houston and Bloomington, IN. Others in construction or near ground breaking are in Hampton, VA, Oklahome (two facilities), a place not too far from Chicago and Boca Raton, FL.
  • train-nut
    train-nut Member Posts: 101

other proton locations
    In addition to Loma Linda there is Boston, Jacksonville, Houston and Bloomington, IN. Others in construction or near ground breaking are in Hampton, VA, Oklahome (two facilities), a place not too far from Chicago and Boca Raton, FL.

Oklahoma Proton Beam Locations
    The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences locations in Oklahoma City and Tulsa will have these machines. Tulsa also now has the latest cyber knife equipment (Hillcrest Medical Center, 918-949-6675). The best of health to all. Rich