Bone Marrow Transplant???

truejoy8
truejoy8 Member Posts: 41
Hi everyone, I need some advice. I'm 22 and have Hodgkins Lymphoma. I went into remmision last October but now it has come back. My doctor wants me to have an autologous bone marrow transplant. I don't know very much about it and everything I seem to be learning scares me. I need to know what to expect. How long do I need to be isolated from the world? How long will I be feeling tired and without energy? Does anyone have and advice for getting through this easier? Thanks.

Comments

• AlloMan
    AlloMan Member Posts: 47
    You could be pretty weak and nauseous. Let your Doc know what problems you are having. I was back to work in a couple months. You get chemo bombed, your counts drop, they infuse your cells back in, you feel better. Not very pleasant, but tolerable. I avoided complications and infections while doing this outpatient. Level of isolation depends on how conservative your Doc is. Don't be too scared. If you've relapsed, you may not have many options. Don't psyche yourself out. Take one day at a time.
  • positive
    positive Member Posts: 75
    Its been a week since your note, how are you doing? I've heard these bone marrow transplants are wonderful, I hear all the time of people going into remission from these transplants. Don't worry Joy, keep focused do what you have to do, have faith in the doctor, if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor get another opinion. Joy I Know your going to be allright, just let me know how your doing real soon.
  • klker
    klker Member Posts: 8
    I had an autologous stem cell transplant 18 months ago. I was 28 when I was diagnosed with Hodgekin's disease. I would have no problem and would like to answer some of your questions, but I do want tell you that I had a tough go at it; i had a lot of complications so things didn't go exactly according to "protocol". I don't want to worry you more.
  • truejoy8
    truejoy8 Member Posts: 41
    positive said:

Its been a week since your note, how are you doing? I've heard these bone marrow transplants are wonderful, I hear all the time of people going into remission from these transplants. Don't worry Joy, keep focused do what you have to do, have faith in the doctor, if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor get another opinion. Joy I Know your going to be allright, just let me know how your doing real soon.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've just started chemo to get rid of the "last little bit" of cancer growth I have in my lypmh nodes. I've been feeling pretty drained, but that's normal with chemo. I've talked a lot with my doc and he's answered a lot of my questions. We'll probably do the transplant in a month or so. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.
  • sugarone1
    sugarone1 Member Posts: 2
    bone marrow transplants
    I have lymphoma B-cell large cell - I am getting some stronger chemo treatment now, and they are going to give me a Bone Marrow Transplant after they shrink it some - I received some valuable information from the following Program:
    National Marrow Donor Program
    1-800-526-7809
    Check it out and then you will have a much better understanding of the Bone Marrow Transplant procedure. They explain it very well and send you valuable info.
    Hope this helps - it helped me alot.
    Good luck and God Bless.
  • winthefight
    winthefight Member Posts: 162
    truejoy8 said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've just started chemo to get rid of the "last little bit" of cancer growth I have in my lypmh nodes. I've been feeling pretty drained, but that's normal with chemo. I've talked a lot with my doc and he's answered a lot of my questions. We'll probably do the transplant in a month or so. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

Transplant
    Hi I just read you were planning to do the transplant in 2004. I just wanted to see how you are doing after the transplant. And to find out what type of transplant it was. Please advise.

Thanks
  • winthefight
    winthefight Member Posts: 162
    sugarone1 said:

bone marrow transplants
    I have lymphoma B-cell large cell - I am getting some stronger chemo treatment now, and they are going to give me a Bone Marrow Transplant after they shrink it some - I received some valuable information from the following Program:
    National Marrow Donor Program
    1-800-526-7809
    Check it out and then you will have a much better understanding of the Bone Marrow Transplant procedure. They explain it very well and send you valuable info.
    Hope this helps - it helped me alot.
    Good luck and God Bless.

Transplant
    Thank you for the information. I too have been treated for lymphoma B-cell large cell (non hod). I had R-CHOP and now am on RICE. Last week I began radiation. What type of transplant are you having?