Fentanyl Patch 25mg

Stardust1
Stardust1 Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Is the fentanyl patch safe to wear on a beach under an unbrella,the dose is low,right, the heat makes it leak out faster. And if my sister doesn't wear the patch 1 day and starts again is this safe?

Comments

• jagged
    jagged Member Posts: 55
    Stardust,

You're talking drugs usage and peculiarities. I think you will have better luck talking with a pharmacy or doctor.

jag
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    I am not sure you appreciate the powerful nature of this particular medication. I agree whole-heartedly with jagged that you should consult with the physician who supplied the prescription before doing the things you suggest.

You should maybe do an online search so that you can learn that accidental transfer of the patch to another might kill that person. Perhaps you would learn the following, which I quote from drugs.com:

>>Do not expose the patch on your skin to direct sources of heat, such as fevers, heating pads, electric blankets, heat lamps, saunas, hot tubs, or heated waterbeds. Avoid sunbathing, long hot baths, or other sources of heat to the body. The heat may cause more medicine to be released into your skin. <<

More drugs than prescribed may do great harm.

In addition, there are strict rules that go along with application and use of this product. They should be adhered to religiously. If they do not include skipping a day at the patient's whim, then I would advise not skipping a day at the patient's whim.

This is not a medication to be dealt with in a playful manner.

I would advise, again, strongly, that your sister follows jagged's advice to SEEK advice before she goes to the beach, before casually modifying her application of it.

Take care.
  • Stardust1
    jagged said:

Stardust,

You're talking drugs usage and peculiarities. I think you will have better luck talking with a pharmacy or doctor.

jag

jagged, she did talk to the doctor, and said she was going to the beach,and he said nothing. Thank you for the reply,I appreciate it. Take care
  • Stardust1

I am not sure you appreciate the powerful nature of this particular medication. I agree whole-heartedly with jagged that you should consult with the physician who supplied the prescription before doing the things you suggest.

You should maybe do an online search so that you can learn that accidental transfer of the patch to another might kill that person. Perhaps you would learn the following, which I quote from drugs.com:

>>Do not expose the patch on your skin to direct sources of heat, such as fevers, heating pads, electric blankets, heat lamps, saunas, hot tubs, or heated waterbeds. Avoid sunbathing, long hot baths, or other sources of heat to the body. The heat may cause more medicine to be released into your skin. <<

More drugs than prescribed may do great harm.

In addition, there are strict rules that go along with application and use of this product. They should be adhered to religiously. If they do not include skipping a day at the patient's whim, then I would advise not skipping a day at the patient's whim.

This is not a medication to be dealt with in a playful manner.

I would advise, again, strongly, that your sister follows jagged's advice to SEEK advice before she goes to the beach, before casually modifying her application of it.

Take care.</p>

soccerfreaks, I checked online, that's why I ask the question, as the doctor said nothing. I told my sister to check with a pharmacy when she gets there. And not change the patch routine, when she puts it on. Thank you for the information, and advice. I heard it was dangerous,and people died because of the wrong use of it.Thanks for the reply. Take Care
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Stardust1 said:

soccerfreaks, I checked online, that's why I ask the question, as the doctor said nothing. I told my sister to check with a pharmacy when she gets there. And not change the patch routine, when she puts it on. Thank you for the information, and advice. I heard it was dangerous,and people died because of the wrong use of it.Thanks for the reply. Take Care

I get touchy about this stardust, and perhaps I overreacted, but in this venue, it is really hard to overreact, isn't it? I cannot know your emotional landscape from reading your words, I cannot know what you have not included in your post.

The thing is, though, this is an opiate. I have used it, among others. I have used this patch at home while recovering from major surgery.

My plan was to relieve myself of it the first chance I got. This may be when I learned what pain management is all about. :)

The patch is prescribed for a very legitimate reason or it would not be prescribed. They do not hand out potentially lethal drugs, especially to those at home, unless they have faith in both the need for the medication and trust in the patient.

I applaud you for seeking advice here and elsewhere, and I applaud your sister for agreeing to talk to a professional about the ramifications of her actions, both the sun exposure AND the idea of skipping a dose.

You will both be more comfortable with the results of that conversation, I am sure.

I am hopeful that you get a chance, that she gets a chance, to go to the beach :).

Take care.