After chemo/cancer

Hutto101
Hutto101 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with cancer and had my colon (large) removed. I finished chemo in May. My first scan after treatment came back clean. I have been experincing pain in my abdomen, it's not terrible, but uncomfortable, also get tired and anxious. Is this normal after treatment and if so, how long will it last?

Comments

• funnyguy
    funnyguy Member Posts: 89
    I can't speak to the pain...you might want to talk with your dr about that...
    However, after abdominal surgery - it takes awhile to return to somewhat normal.

As far as the tired and anxious moments...welcome to being a survivor. You'll probably find from others that similar stories exist. And if it gets really bad, you probably would do well to talk with your doctor or find a support group or system to help you work through it.

But I think we all go through times where we are anxious or on edge. Especially in preparing for a routine test or just visiting a place where we had treatment. let's face it, having cancer is a traumatic experience. I think it's ok to 'twitch' a little when those memories surface every once in awhile.

Cheers to you and your successful recovery.
  • DK2006
    DK2006 Member Posts: 126
    Hi,
    I completed my chemo (FOLFOX) exactly 2 years ago in June. I also experienced abdominal cramps after my treatment ended. I didn't have them during chemo, so it scared me. My oncologist told me about 6 months ago that lots of people have been complaining of abdominal cramps after treatment ends.
    I think I felt cramps for at least a year after chemo ended. Try not to worry.
    Congratulations on being done with chemo. It takes a while to feel back to normal.
    Best wishes,

Donna
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Go see your doctor about the pain the abdomen asap. It will probably turn out to be nothing, but peace of mind is great. Tired you will be for probably 4 - 12 months (it differs), anxious also, very common - I am 11 months done with surgery/chemo/rads and still get tired sometimes - not so much as before - and anxious every time I have to go for my CEA or a scan. I was anxious, for no apparent reason, for about 6 months after treatment ended. I was warned this would happen, and despite clean scans it did. It is better now. So check out the pain and think about seeing a therapist for the anxiety (the anxiety is perfectly normal, but not pleasant).

Pam
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Going to take a while for your body to get back to "normal" , but have that pain checked out . Best wishes for a speedy recovery and God Bless
    Diane