Vacation Ruled!!!!

KierstenRx
KierstenRx Member Posts: 249
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all,
Made it back from vacation last weekend!!! It was sooooooooo amazing. Stayed at a brand new condo in Fort Walton beach. The first day the gulf was so calm. I literally swam and floated for hours. I have not felt that kind of peace in such a long time. The water and temp was still a bit cool, but the sun warmed me up. I was able to take many walks and the sand actually forced me to use my toes which helped the lingering neuropathy (hmmmmm.....I wonder if insurance would pay for "physical therapy" at the beach).

I have to admit I am pretty lame overall. I am scared to death of fish and water (if it's over my head-even though I can swim). Well I decided to do my own version of sky diving...... My brother and I went on a 2 hour dolphin tour on wave runners. I have never been on a waver runner let alone drive one. Well after a crash course our guide took our group out into the gulf. The waves were crashing all around me and I had the death grip. I almost had a panic attack when I said "LORD....you got me through cancer just get me safely back". I finally relaxed a bit and our guide took us back into the bay. From there we were ablet to get right beside the dolphins. They were amazing...only 3-4 feet away. It was soooo perfect. When it was over I was exhausted, exhilerated, relaxed, and at peace. A wonderful experience. We are already preparing our trip for next spring.

So to all you newbies out there....life goes on. Diagnosed stage III rectal cancer 9/2006. After all the chemo, radiation, surgeries, healing, and bumps in the road....enjoying life. I also have to tell you newbies that will face a temporary or permanent colostomy it doesn't have to dictate your life. I swam and did everything that I used to do. No one knows that I have a colostomy. I made up my mind that I would never have my life dictated by s**t and I haven't.

Kiersten

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Awesome post, Kiersten - you're an inspiration to everyone who reads this board!

Rock on!

- SB
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    What a nice vacation. I am so happy for you that it was so awesome. Getting close to dolphins is on my "to do" list. Thanks for posting.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Isn't it wonderful what a positive attitude, and time, does for you????

I'm so glad you had such a great time! I always treat myself to little 'outings', as well as some big ones like Turkey in November...to tell the truth, 3 years ago, in the midst of rectal cancer treatment, I never thought I would see the day I would travel again!

BIG hugs, Kathi
  • valley
    valley Member Posts: 94
    Kiersten
    Hi Kiersten

Sounds like you had an exciting vacation. My husband and I are going away in June for a few days just a road trip for 4 days but looking forward to getting away! My husband was also stage 111 rectal cancer Jan.06. He's doing great and hope to take many more vacations!

Val
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Kiersten,

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. You go girl!

Debbie
  • rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Kiersten,
    YOU GO GIRL!! Life is Good! Thanks for sharing.
    Robin