Endometrial Treatment

My mom was recently diagnosed with a recurrence of endometrial cancer in her pelvic lymph nodes, it was originally stage 1 grade 2. She has had 3 rounds of taxol, doxorubicin and cisplatin however her cat scan last week showed that only 2 of the lymph nodes have shrunk and one has enlarged. The oncologist has decided to stop the chemo and begin radiation immediately for 6 weeks followed by more chemo. Her CA 125 level began at 40 and then we were told went down to 9 which we learned was a lab mistake, it then went to 67 and is now at 94. The cat scan showed that her chest and abdomen were clean leading the oncologist to believe it is confined to the pelvic area. Is there anyone else who has been successful getthing through this? What exactly do the tumor markers mean and are they really reliable?

Comments

• crackle234
    crackle234 Member Posts: 4
    I forgot to add, this jump in her CA was over 3-4 days, she had blood work last Thursday that showed the level was 67 and yesterday it was 94, this does not seem logical to me.
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Crackle, are you sure your mom has a recurrence of endometrial cancer? It sounds more like she's had ovarian cancer. The chemo treatments and the CA-125 testing would seem to be ovarian, also. There are different kinds of ovarian, the most common being epithileal. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer (endometrial) initially, then epithileal ovarian when I had a hysterectomy.
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    I haven't been able to sign onto the board for a while because I've been dealing with a computer virus, but I see I've posted in response to your posts before. Tumor markers are used to test for tumor activity. The CA-125 test is not terribly accurate because it can be affected by other things, such as infections or kidney or liver problems. Unfortunately, the CA-125 test is the best indicator for ovarian cancer, but it can be thrown off by other factors. I think you'd be able to find more information about tumor markers on the ACS website.
  • PestherD
    PestherD Member Posts: 1
    I'm 46 and had to have a radical hyterectomy last May .29 , 2007 . The doctor's did not find the tumor until after the surgery and so my lymphs were never removed . The doctors were worried the cancer would spread and so I had 6 weeks of external radiation . This treatment concentrates the radiation to help protect your pelvis and abdomen . This worked for me in this way but my cancer had already moved to my lung so I'm now on chemo , but I never give up hope and you shouldn't either. Good luck to you and your mom .
  • MaryJoW
    MaryJoW Member Posts: 1
    PestherD said:

I'm 46 and had to have a radical hyterectomy last May .29 , 2007 . The doctor's did not find the tumor until after the surgery and so my lymphs were never removed . The doctors were worried the cancer would spread and so I had 6 weeks of external radiation . This treatment concentrates the radiation to help protect your pelvis and abdomen . This worked for me in this way but my cancer had already moved to my lung so I'm now on chemo , but I never give up hope and you shouldn't either. Good luck to you and your mom .

I am 60 and had surgery 6 weeks ago for endometrial cancer. I began chemo treatments one week ago.
    What exactly is CA 125 levels? Is that something that will be tracked every week when I have blood work done?
  • blustery
    blustery Member Posts: 3
    endometrial
    how long since the first diagnosis did the recurrence happen? I am 9 weeks from a radical hysterectomy, lymph nodes clear and they want me to do radiation and chemo. did you have treatment already? I am not sure about the CA 125 however they have also told me it can be unreliable at times. they have diagnosed mine as uterine, then cervical, then back to uterine. I am getting another opinion before I commit to a treatment plan.
  • Ararat
    Ararat Member Posts: 11
    PestherD said:

endometrial treatment
    Hi PesterD,
    I have endometrial adenocarcinoma stage 4 grade 3.what was yours? you are not mentioning it.
    I had the radical hysterectomy and left a tumor in the pelvic that could not take it out.. therefor I started chemo .. 2 times.. stopped took radiotherapy 15 times ( 5 days/week)..
    than took third chemo and a CT scan.Dr. said chemo regimen is not helping at all.. radio did not too much of a difference on the tumor also.. Now CT can showed mets in the lungs.
    I took Taxol/carboplatin............what regimen are you taking?
    Now, my dr. transferring me to a University hospital that, they do research .
    Maybe they will find out what chemo regimen works for me?
    take care, and keep hope always
  • blustery
    blustery Member Posts: 3
    endometrial
    I was diagnosed as a stage 1B2.

My recent CA 125 was 28. Seems to be mixed opinions about what that means too. Some say under 30, some say under 35, 26, and now I hear 21.....??

I am getting a 3rd opinion now from Cancer Treatment Center in Chicago. My second opinion did not have an answer for the cervical/uterine question either.

Right now I am not doing anything except eating a whole foods diet, juicing, I eat next to nothing that is processed. Feeling really good, but still need to pursue and follow this closely.

I am wondering if anyone is taking any good supplements and how they are working...???

My best to everyone...
  • hanif
    hanif Member Posts: 8
    Ararat said:

endometrial treatment
    Hi PesterD,
    I have endometrial adenocarcinoma stage 4 grade 3.what was yours? you are not mentioning it.
    I had the radical hysterectomy and left a tumor in the pelvic that could not take it out.. therefor I started chemo .. 2 times.. stopped took radiotherapy 15 times ( 5 days/week)..
    than took third chemo and a CT scan.Dr. said chemo regimen is not helping at all.. radio did not too much of a difference on the tumor also.. Now CT can showed mets in the lungs.
    I took Taxol/carboplatin............what regimen are you taking?
    Now, my dr. transferring me to a University hospital that, they do research .
    Maybe they will find out what chemo regimen works for me?
    take care, and keep hope always

Endometrial Treatment- Recurrent - Metastatic
    Hi Ararat,
    I also have endometrial adenocarcinoma, stage 4, don't know the grade......it was 1st diaognised in july 2005, i had the radical hysteractomy, did 6 rounds of chemo- Adriamycin/Carboplatin.....my oncologist said the cancer was gone.....stopped the treatment and within 4 months it recurred in my pelvic and peritoneum and outside of the liver.....oncologist put me back on chemo regimen with single agent- Taxol....I have been taking taxol for almost 1 year and 6 months....the last CT scan shows progression and thus the taxol is not working anymore.....my oncologist will be discussing with me for another chemo regimen.

Please let me know what chemo regimen the university hospital has recommended you....would like to do some research and discuss with my oncologist....

Ararat,

When was your cancer originally diaognized? and besides chemo, are you on any complimentary therapy? My naturopath has recommended "Reishi Gano" capsules which are mushroom based and this is really helping with my immune system.

Take care and pls. respond,