biopsy

mila6062
mila6062 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Could anyone explain how a prostate biopsy is done? What are the side-effects?
Thanks.

Comments

• fcatroneo
    fcatroneo Member Posts: 89
    It is not as bad as it sounds. A urlogiest will insert a probe into your rectum and take 12 or so biopsies of your prostate. Each biopsie is like a small needle pinch. It is not bad.
  • bestbudshelper
    bestbudshelper Member Posts: 3
    fcatroneo said:

It is not as bad as it sounds. A urlogiest will insert a probe into your rectum and take 12 or so biopsies of your prostate. Each biopsie is like a small needle pinch. It is not bad.

fcatroneo--can you please give me some more info on Dr. Fray Marshall? Thanks!!
  • mila6062

Is Dr Marshall the urologist at Emory Hospital? I would like to know more about him also.
  • RoyPoff
    RoyPoff Member Posts: 6
    fcatroneo said:

Have had two biopsy done in recent years and had this procedure done in hostipal.
    The main reason is that you are given anesthesia and are out, so no pain felt.
    Believe me when I say that I have known some men who have had this procedure done in doctors office and said the was extremely painful.
    It is a bit of a hassle having pre-op test done (for hostipal)as blood work/ekg but, worth it!!!!!
    Some doctors do this procedure in office as mine did but, requested hostipla treatment.
    Roy
  • fcatroneo

Email me at: f.catroneo@nonnis.com
  • fcatroneo

email me at: f.catroneo@nonnis.com
  • fcatroneo
    I had mine in a doctor's office. I think he gave me a valium. Not a big deal. No major side affects. Some mild bleeding from ejulation and stool.
  • nodawgs
    nodawgs Member Posts: 116
    Well, it's done with a device that's an ultrasound probe having an integrally-mounted, spring-loaded biopsy needle for extracting a core of tissue. After lubing your rectum, they insert that thing, manipulate to a part of the prostate of interest, yank the trigger, and the needle punctures the rectum wall, runs into the prostate, and retracts with a core of tissue. They repeat this process x or y times for each lobe of the prostate...thus the two numbers on your path report. As to pain...nupe...I heard something sounding like a rubber band snapping on my butt, but no real pain, per se. Had I not been naive and known how this bizarre procedure was to be done, I would have probably picked death by burning at the stake.

The occasion popped up where I had to have a 2nd biopsy. In this case, I was given a "sedative"...some silly little pill they gave me while I sat in the waiting room for an hour or so for it to take effect. Man! It didn't do nuttin! The first few snaps of that spring-loaded, hollowed-out dagger...nupe...didn't feel a thing. Again, about like a rubber band popping on my butt...no biggie. The next few...whoa!...got worse...worse...and WORSE!! I was about to come off the darn table on the last ones, so they stopped.

I'm not sure the entire process is worth a clinical damn. For one, these guys are throwing darts at a dart board...trying to stab tissue here and there with questionable accuracy. Secondly, what makes them think that when the needle retracts, they aren't dropping micro-bits of tissue and seeding the margin around the prostate with cancerous cells? Finally, the assignment of a Gleason Score is such a subjective process, to me, it's of little value, anyway. Ever wonder why nearly everyone has a Gleason 7?

Yunno...there's something else, too. In the case of extremely small tumors, why the heck can't they refine the process where they just keep taking cores of tissue until the tumor is gone? Huh...guess that makes too much sense.

Ahhh...get the biopsy. At least, it's one-time deal. Let us know how it came out...I'm curious.

Best of Luck,

Nodawgs
  • mila6062
    nodawgs said:

Well, it's done with a device that's an ultrasound probe having an integrally-mounted, spring-loaded biopsy needle for extracting a core of tissue. After lubing your rectum, they insert that thing, manipulate to a part of the prostate of interest, yank the trigger, and the needle punctures the rectum wall, runs into the prostate, and retracts with a core of tissue. They repeat this process x or y times for each lobe of the prostate...thus the two numbers on your path report. As to pain...nupe...I heard something sounding like a rubber band snapping on my butt, but no real pain, per se. Had I not been naive and known how this bizarre procedure was to be done, I would have probably picked death by burning at the stake.

The occasion popped up where I had to have a 2nd biopsy. In this case, I was given a "sedative"...some silly little pill they gave me while I sat in the waiting room for an hour or so for it to take effect. Man! It didn't do nuttin! The first few snaps of that spring-loaded, hollowed-out dagger...nupe...didn't feel a thing. Again, about like a rubber band popping on my butt...no biggie. The next few...whoa!...got worse...worse...and WORSE!! I was about to come off the darn table on the last ones, so they stopped.

I'm not sure the entire process is worth a clinical damn. For one, these guys are throwing darts at a dart board...trying to stab tissue here and there with questionable accuracy. Secondly, what makes them think that when the needle retracts, they aren't dropping micro-bits of tissue and seeding the margin around the prostate with cancerous cells? Finally, the assignment of a Gleason Score is such a subjective process, to me, it's of little value, anyway. Ever wonder why nearly everyone has a Gleason 7?

Yunno...there's something else, too. In the case of extremely small tumors, why the heck can't they refine the process where they just keep taking cores of tissue until the tumor is gone? Huh...guess that makes too much sense.

Ahhh...get the biopsy. At least, it's one-time deal. Let us know how it came out...I'm curious.

Best of Luck,

Nodawgs

nodawgs, my husband has his biopsy yesterday in his drs office. He said the procedure was not painful, just uncomfortable. Won't know the results until next week.