RP +3 Amazing

RichardRS
RichardRS Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
32 hours after checking into Washington Hospital Center for a Robotic Assisted Prostatectomy I returned home. No pain, no meds other than motrin. Amazing. Many thanks for the decision support and all the pre and post op suggestions, particularly Roger's advice to exercise prior to surgery.

The pathology report is encouraging. He found a small, previously undetected, tumor (T2a). Margins, seminal vesicles and lymph nodes are negative. He took 10% of the right nerve due to PNI. From many of the recent comments, I know that I have continence and PSA issues ahead of me. However, compared with what I expected, todays data and the recovery to date are a blessing.

Having worked as a surgical technician for two years during college, I had scrubbed in on the old style open prostatectomy. I am astounded at the improvements in the technology for the drains, catheters, suturing and bandaging, not to mention the procedure itself. I had a chance to talk with Dr Hwang's chief operating room nurse and the anesthesiologist pre-op. What a knowledgeable sophisticated team. Still, I am not wanting to return any time soon.

Comments

• jhenrymaine
    jhenrymaine Member Posts: 8
    Congrats on what sounds like an excellent experience post-op, Richard. No Vicodin? Wow...
    Do your Kegel exercises, keep the Motrin regularly in you, and you'll do well with continence in a few weeks. I'm down to 2 pads a day - one that lasts all day, and one at night that is basically dry in the morning anyway (five weeks after catheter removal). Don't rush it either...the minimal skin scars mask the fact that you have deep muscles that need serious healing. I shoveled snow today and felt the tension in my groin -- a danger of thinking I'm back to normal entirely. Even though I'm only 44, it still takes time to reach that sense of normalcy again.

I'm glad the pathology report came out so well. May your first blood test ( a month?) be an excellent result! If you ever sail up to Bangor or even Camden, I'd be glad to welcome you ashore.
  • rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    Richard,

CONGRATULATIONS on your surgical results!! I sounds like you are well on your way to recovery. Don't let up on your Kegals! They are extremely important and you will see the results, once your catheter is removed. The exercise will eventually become second nature.

Again, Congratulations and keep us posted on your progress.

Roger
  • RichardRS
    RichardRS Member Posts: 44
    Kegel Exercises
    Roger and J. Thanks for the cheers and feedback. I had not thought to do Kegel exercises now before catheter removal, though I did do them pre-op.

What pattern of exercise do you find works best?
    300 per day? 3 sets of 15 each?
    Do them quickly? Or slow with gradual build up-hold-release?

I appreciate the warning to take it easy. My tendency is to head out the door for a hike. My plan is to give 8 weeks before trying any heavy lifting, then at least a month of exercise. I have read several sad stories of men who lifted heavy items too soon.
  • rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    RichardRS said:

Kegel Exercises
    Roger and J. Thanks for the cheers and feedback. I had not thought to do Kegel exercises now before catheter removal, though I did do them pre-op.

What pattern of exercise do you find works best?
    300 per day? 3 sets of 15 each?
    Do them quickly? Or slow with gradual build up-hold-release?

I appreciate the warning to take it easy. My tendency is to head out the door for a hike. My plan is to give 8 weeks before trying any heavy lifting, then at least a month of exercise. I have read several sad stories of men who lifted heavy items too soon.

Richard,

I didn't follow any particular pattern. I tried to do them whenever I would remember. The more the better. I wouldn't think you could do too many.

Again, good luck and keep us posted.

Roger
  • fcatroneo
    fcatroneo Member Posts: 89
    Richard, great news. Congradulations. As mentioned, you can't do enough Kegel exercises. I was very fortunate. I wore only one pad after the cat. was removed. I did put a tissue inside my underwear for the first few months (and I always wore black pants). I had a few leaks when I coughed or sneased. I have been blessed. I did the excercises regliously twice or three times a day (if not more). You can't do enought.

Don't overdo any trenduous activity. I am 61 years old and an avid jogger. I started jogging too soon and pulled a muscle in my groin. But now I am doing great.
    I am now on the Board of Directors for the Georgia Prostate Cancer Coalition. I am also the treasure/chairman of the fundrasing committee. I am blessed and I want to help build awareness to as many men as possible.
    Again, I am glad to hear you are doing well.
    After you recover, if you are interested in joing your local state coalition, let me know what state/city you are living in and I will get you in contact with them.

Take care.
    Frank.