Xeloda only after liver resection?

hopefulone
hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
As many of you know, my husband was able and fortunate enough with God's grace to have a liver resection in October after completing 9 treatments of oxalplatinum, avastin and xeloda. Now we need to make a decision about further chemo. There are a couple of options, do no more and observe, go back on same regimen with same dosage which the onc says may be too aggressive at this point, maybe try the oxal and xeloda only without the avastin , or possibly xeloda only . Has anyone done just the xeloda only as adjuvant chemo? Yesterday was hubby's first ct since the resection. We are anxiously waiting the results . You all know how the waiting part goes. We see the onc next wed and need to make a decision by then. Since he had so many treatments before the resection, the onc is not opposed to waiting and observing, but we are leaning towards the xeloda only for a limited time if he remains NED. Anyone have any experience with this? thanks and God Bless
Diane

Comments

• Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Hi Diane
    I don't have any experience with this, but I would be leaning with you in doing some kind of adjuvant chemo versus doing nothing. I am just a very cautious person. I am sure others would have more knowledge in this area.

I do want you to know you are in my prayers while you wait for those results!! I'm sure it will all be fine, but the waiting is always so hard!

Take care,

Faith
  • Allen55555
    Allen55555 Member Posts: 15 Member
    I have done a lot of reading and every thing I find shows chemo after liver surgery drastically increases the chances for cure-the good C word-. You have been through a lot of chemo already so you know which regimen your body can stand but some type of chemo looks like the correct thing to do.
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Hi Diane: I definitely agree that some adjuvant chemo would be a wise route to go. I've taken Xeloda and the worst thing about it was that my toes went black (so I put on some socks). The feet went back to normal after I was off the Xeloda. Monica
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    I'm taking the Xeloda and I'm currently NED. My hands and feet are doing well so far so good. (this chemo tends to give you foot and hand syndrome) I've been tired. I take Xeloda 2 times in the morning and also 2 times at night I take it 20 mins after I eat. (if I don't eat I get sick) I take this Monday thru Friday and off on the weekends. I've been taking this since October.
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Diane, I had Adenocarcinoma of the Cervix (fast growing cancer that goes for the lymphatic system). SomeONE who crossed my path told me of supporting the Immune system, starting with eating. I have a webpage and maybe something I have written there will give you a direction to focus on.
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Diane,

After my liver resection, I continued with chemo. Unfortunately, a year after my liver resection and some months of chemo I had another recurrence in the liver. If the CT is clear I may opt to wait and see. Sometimes it does good for your body to take a break.

Debbie
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    OK, here is my input....every patient is different, you would be very hard pressed to find two cancer patients with the exact same experience. However, in my case, I had slowly developing mets in my liver and 2 spots on my right lung that only showed up after I had endured months of chemo both times. The first time I did 5-FU and Leukovorin for six months, then the liver met was discovered. The second time I did FOLFIRI (6 rounds) and subsequentlly my lung mets "popped up". So when I was in your husbands shoes I followed up with FOLFIRI..
    It seems like often we do not have a recurrence per se, but things appear that previously were not being seen because they were too small to see in the beginning. Does that make sense?
    That is why I feel watching and waiting is the preferred method. As you probably already know, Xeloda is the pill form of 5-FU. I don't really know it's effectiveness, but it can have some nasty side effects as far as the hand/foot syndrome is concerned. It is your call. I suppose he could take it and if the syndrome becomes unbearable he could quit at that time. I agree with Debbie, there is something to be said for allowing the immune system to strengthen and recover. Oxy is very nasty stuff and probably should only be used when absolutely necessary.
    JMO,
    Susan H.
  • cheryltaco
    cheryltaco Member Posts: 39
    I was on a similar chemo plan in addition to radiation prior to my resection in October. I will go back on chemo the first week of December but will do Xeloda only. I had very little if any problems with it the first time around and am all for adjuvant chemo if it increases my chances of remaining cancer free! Good luck
  • Patti1
    Patti1 Member Posts: 109 Member
    Diane,

Decision's, if we only had a crystal ball. Dennis had complete lower resection and a liver resection on 8/13/06. We had the decision to make after surgery also. Pre surgery he was on 5FU,Oxiliplation and Avastin. After surgery we did choose the oral Xeloda, in which he did take for a limited time. The only side effect he had was diarahea which was severe, and he did have to stop taking the Xeloda. I wish you and your husband the best of luck with your CT scan results, as I know the waiting part is very difficult. I look forward to doing the NED Happy Dance with you. Good luck and God Bless

Patti
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Thanks everyone for your input. Its appreciated. I hope you and yours have a blessed holiday season and a safe and happy new year