newly diagnosed, metastasis

swadhya
swadhya Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
hi all
my dad(51 yrs) has severe lower back pain and consulted the doctor. MRI and Bone scan suggests spread in bones from prostate. Waitin for biopsy result. I'm very scared. Reading about this in internet says the treatment is just palliative and not curative when spread. Is that true? I am from India.

Comments

• 2ndBase
    2ndBase Member Posts: 220
    I am sorry to hear about your dad. I have personally been where he now is and have done pretty well in dealing with it all. He will not be helped by you appearing scared or worried. He may have some pretty tough decisions to make and you need to let him decide, along with his trusted doctors, what the proper treatment is. Many cancers do basically get cured or treated to the point that it does not cause ones demise. It is pointless to worry or to even think that prostate cancer has spread to the bones before you have biopsy results. Help your dad by reducing his worry and encouraging him to make a life full of positive memories. Fear of things we can not control encourages their power. Let your father know you will not have fear.
  • swadhya
    swadhya Member Posts: 2
    2ndBase said:

I am sorry to hear about your dad. I have personally been where he now is and have done pretty well in dealing with it all. He will not be helped by you appearing scared or worried. He may have some pretty tough decisions to make and you need to let him decide, along with his trusted doctors, what the proper treatment is. Many cancers do basically get cured or treated to the point that it does not cause ones demise. It is pointless to worry or to even think that prostate cancer has spread to the bones before you have biopsy results. Help your dad by reducing his worry and encouraging him to make a life full of positive memories. Fear of things we can not control encourages their power. Let your father know you will not have fear.

thanx mark. I have been putting up a brave face until now. But its difficult.