New to site-questions about brain met.

loritu
loritu Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi, I just joined this group recently. I am finding everyone's story very inspiring and it is giving me hope for my mom. She (53 yrs. old)was diagnosed in May 2007 with a tumour (4.2cm) in her right lung, to which they removed completely. She was staged at a 1B because there was no sign of cancer elsewhere. She has recooperated well from the surgery physically. Emotionally is a different story. She cries alot. The onc. then recommend chemo as a precaution. We were lucky enough to get a PET scan last week. (she lives in a small town on the East Coast of Canada and there is a long wait list for such tests) Bad news...the onc. said the cancer has spread to the head (3 spots), adrenal glands, her hip and her shoulder v(2 spots). They immediately started her on chemo, cisplatin and navelbine for 6 months. She has an MRI scheduled for her head. I live in Virginia and am finding this very hard especially since I am unable to be there. So, I've decided to arm myself with education and press on fighting for her. She has seemed to fair the first cisplatin treatment well, but we are all concerned about the tumours in her head. Generally, what is the course of treatment and the after affects? How long is the treatment etc etc. Any information on this would be much appreciated. This network is a godsend and I'll be sure to recommend this to her so she can talk with others coping with lung cancer. Thank you all so much.

Comments

• Greggriggs
    Greggriggs Member Posts: 132
    Hi
    I had a left lung removed sounds kinda like you Mom . They told me I did not have cancer any where else. But they did a Pet scan befor the sugery. I am like her the sugery went as well as that can go. I walked a lot. They told me the same thing I sould take Chemo for a precaution .
    I did taxol an carboplaton . I can under stand the emotion thing it changes your life as you knew it. But tell her it does get better. I hate Chemo but there are not to many alternatives . A lot of prayers . I am still here after a year an two months. I guess all you can do is fight an try to keep a positive attitude .I will say a prayer for her .
  • jadjr
    jadjr Member Posts: 30
    you may also want to discuss radiation treatment for the brain met. Unfortunately the Canadian system does not deal well with high risk illness instead they tend to focus on easy to fix problems. (unless you happen to be very wealthy or a politician) You may want to take her to Boston for a second opinion and use that information to push for treatment in Canada.
  • loritu
    loritu Member Posts: 2
    jadjr said:

you may also want to discuss radiation treatment for the brain met. Unfortunately the Canadian system does not deal well with high risk illness instead they tend to focus on easy to fix problems. (unless you happen to be very wealthy or a politician) You may want to take her to Boston for a second opinion and use that information to push for treatment in Canada.

We are unsure of what they will do with regards to the spots on her brain. We'll know better once she has the MRI done next week. We are grateful for the onc. who has had an open door policy with us. Is chemo used to treat brain met. or is it generally radiation? Thanks for your prayers..
  • jadjr
    jadjr Member Posts: 30
    loritu said:

We are unsure of what they will do with regards to the spots on her brain. We'll know better once she has the MRI done next week. We are grateful for the onc. who has had an open door policy with us. Is chemo used to treat brain met. or is it generally radiation? Thanks for your prayers..

generally radiation
  • maggiforte
    maggiforte Member Posts: 4
    unfortunately, chemo doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier so she'll need to have brain radiation at some point...that's not as scary as it sounds actually...I'm sorry to hear she has mets but it's good they found it...my husband had carboplatin/taxol weekly for 6 months and tolerated it fine..the main thing is nutrition and hydration, keeping the body strong enough to tolerate the procedure...every cancer patient is different so every drug combination is different..my husband had 6 months, I've known people with 3, 18, etc...they monitor it with tests and scans so they'll be able to tell what's working and make necessary adjustments
    of course, she cries a lot, she has to face a big battle and she doesn't have the rule book, she'll be okay as she progresses and meets people who are survivors. don't wear yourself out, looking for definitive answers, there aren't any...forget statistics, they're about 10 years outdated and so are most of the articles...people DO survive and get through it, my husband did, she can too...the new drugs and procedures are doing great things and it's getting better everyday
    Maggi
  • spat
    spat Member Posts: 7
    loritu said:

hi, i suggest that you ask her oncologist about alimta..in june 2007 studies have shown that this chemo drug made by ely lilly (i believe) has been successful in treating cancer cells in the brain. my dad is on it and after his second round the MRI showed that it showed reduction in the cancer cells that metastized to his brain..so far, he doesn't need radiation but we will monitor after the next couple treatment rounds of alimta and carbo. my prayers to you and your mom.
  • faith18
    faith18 Member Posts: 1
    I had my lung removed and 6 months later had 2 spots on my brain I had Gamma Knife(in 2005} and they are gone I also around the same time had a spot in my chest and had cyber knife it is also gone