I appreciate this board...

robinvan
robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Greetings Semicolons!!
I just want to say how much I appreciate this board. I've been connecting for the last month or so while recovering from surgery and undergoing chemo for a liver met recurrence. Between the nausea, diarrhea, and low white blood count I've been spending a lot of time at home (at a time of year when I'd really rather be golfing!!) and really value the opportunity to connect.
I particularly appreciate the leadership and hospitality of the long-term members who have helped to make this a good place to connect. It is not easy for a "virtual community" to overcome the challenges inherent in online communication. This group seems to have done that in many ways as is evident by the authentic friendships and community that has formed.
I would love to attend a colonpalooza someday... not this year though.
Have a really, really, great weekend!!
Rob; in Vancouver
"There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability; there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community." M Scott Peck
"A Cancer Journal" www.rob-pollock.blogspot.com

Comments

• usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Rob,

Thanks for your eloquent words and reinforcement of why we gather here. I can only guess what inspired this post...wink-wink...

It's nice to know this community continues to attract sincere survivors and caregivers where we can exchange vital support in a friendly and nurturing environment. Yes, many of us have formed meaningful, life long friendships here. I met my husband here, so personally I too am grateful for this group. It truly has been a life altering experience!

When I was in the midst of my cancer battle while at the same time my mother was coming out of hers, this group was a source of inspiration, support, friendship and humor, and it continues to be so. The people here helped me tremendously and I will be eternally grateful. I only hope I can return the favor.

Once again, thanks for the beautiful words and a gentle reminder that we have a purpose in our gathering. Your posts, like this one, are a breath of cool, fresh air from the great Northwest. It's nice to have you here.

Hope you are doing well -
    Katie

"A friend is one with whom you are comfortable, to whom you are loyal, through whom you are blessed, and for whom you are grateful." William Arthur Ward
  • crazylady
    crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
    Well said Rob and Katie,
    I couldn't agree more. This board is so important to so many, including myself.
    Rob, Your postings have really helped me. Thank You.
    Katie, I love your quote about friendship.
    Take care,
    Jamie
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hey Rob,

Yes, you will need to attend a Palooza. Although this year might not be possible, never fear...there is always another one in the making! I just read your blog....LOVE IT! You have the wit and humor to help you coast through the whole "cancer gig."

We look forward to seeing more posts from you, especially updates about your PROGRESS!!!

Hugs,

Stacy <--who would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Hello all!

I also appreciate this board very much. I visit this site at least once a day if not more. I don't always have a wealth of information to give to people, but my prayers go out to everyone. My husband was diagnosed with this disease in September of 06. I didn't find this site until sometime in January or February. It changed my perspective tremendously. Our family and friends are great support, but no one understands like all of you here.

Since this is an online support group, at first I was a little hesitant. Much of the information shared here is very personal and not intended for just anyone. The support and encouragement we have found here has outweighed those fears.

We would also like to attend a colonpalooza someday-----it's not gonna work this year. It would be fun to meet this outstanding group of true survivors.

Thank you all for making this site what it is.

Have a great weekend!!

Faith
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Rob,

Your words couldn't ring truer. This is a wonderful site for comfort, great communication and friendship. We all have a common bond and we try to provide an environment here of sincerity, honesty and true friendship and compassion.

I hope you can attend a Palooza someday. Once you do, you'll be hooked.....

I love your blog....I look forward to your daily entries. Thank you for that.

Kerry

"I like long walks, especpially when they are taken by people who annoy me.." Fred Allen
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    Rob,

First thank you for reminding everyone how much this board means to us all.

The CSN is wonderful place to call home I have been here now just over five years. At first it was my lifeline and got me through some rough times after diagnosis. Now I am flying on my own again but I have never forgotten the folks who have always been by my side. I have been to all 4 Colon Paloozas with my husband Andy and have met the most wonderful folks who mean the world to us. Nashville Colon Palooza is Sept 12-16th not to late if anyone else would like to join in ~ this event is for caregivers, survivors, family & friends.

Looking forward to this Great Family Reunion.

Always,
    Baby Lisa

PS, Rob

It's nice to have another fellow Canadian join the board. We used to live in Richmond in the late 80's early 90's but moved back east in 1994. Last month we were in Whistler for a week and had a wonderful time I even went Zip-trekking .

PSS, Stacy & Kerry it was great talking to you both lastnight...
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Lisa Rose said:

Rob,

First thank you for reminding everyone how much this board means to us all.

The CSN is wonderful place to call home I have been here now just over five years. At first it was my lifeline and got me through some rough times after diagnosis. Now I am flying on my own again but I have never forgotten the folks who have always been by my side. I have been to all 4 Colon Paloozas with my husband Andy and have met the most wonderful folks who mean the world to us. Nashville Colon Palooza is Sept 12-16th not to late if anyone else would like to join in ~ this event is for caregivers, survivors, family & friends.

Looking forward to this Great Family Reunion.

Always,
    Baby Lisa

PS, Rob

It's nice to have another fellow Canadian join the board. We used to live in Richmond in the late 80's early 90's but moved back east in 1994. Last month we were in Whistler for a week and had a wonderful time I even went Zip-trekking .

PSS, Stacy & Kerry it was great talking to you both lastnight...

Lisa,

FELLOW CANADIAN?!?!?!? What about that time you guys lived in 'the states'?!?!??! lmao

It was great talking to you both yesterday, too! September cannot get here quick enough!

Stacy
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member

Lisa,

FELLOW CANADIAN?!?!?!? What about that time you guys lived in 'the states'?!?!??! lmao

It was great talking to you both yesterday, too! September cannot get here quick enough!

Stacy

Lisa and Stacy,

Conference calling is a must do!!! I rechecked my confirmation# for the hotel in Nashville. Can't wait.

Kerry

P.S. Lisa, aren't you originally from Texas?
  • kathleenss
    kathleenss Member Posts: 49
    I agree with you.

I only found this message board a month or so ago, although I had been visiting the site often since my surgery in November. I had tried the chat room, but I can't think and type fast enough to keep up. Besides that, I'm a little shy and I like to think about what I'm going to say.

It seems that everything I worry about has been worried about earlier by someone else who is willing to share the wisdom gained by their experiences.

The encouragement and support help, too.

I'm glad you and I found this.

Kathleen
  • Lisa Rose
    kerry said:

Lisa and Stacy,

Conference calling is a must do!!! I rechecked my confirmation# for the hotel in Nashville. Can't wait.

Kerry

P.S. Lisa, aren't you originally from Texas?

Kerry and Stacy my two semi - colon detective friends your way too funny. . . Yes Kerry, I was born in Texas and I moved to Indiana when I was very young. Now as you know we live in the Great White North " Canada " and we love it here. Andy & I are looking forward to our time back home in the USA this September. Ha! Ha!

LMAO

Today Andy and I Celebrate our 19th Wedding Anniversary - where did time go.

Baby Lisa
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Lisa Rose said:

Kerry and Stacy my two semi - colon detective friends your way too funny. . . Yes Kerry, I was born in Texas and I moved to Indiana when I was very young. Now as you know we live in the Great White North " Canada " and we love it here. Andy & I are looking forward to our time back home in the USA this September. Ha! Ha!

LMAO

Today Andy and I Celebrate our 19th Wedding Anniversary - where did time go.

Baby Lisa

Congrats to Lisa and Andy!! Happy Anniversary!
    I was born in Arkansas, then spent about 9 years in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I've been in Canada since grade 7. Technically I still have duel citizenship. I enjoy a trip or two to Florida every year to visit my folks who like to spend 6 months there as "snowbirds". Family is on both sides of the 49th.
    I love Halifax. My folks lived in Wolfville for a few years and I met my wife there. Her Mom is still in Wolfville so we are back every now and then.
    What is "zip-trekking"?
    Rob; in Vancouver
  • Lisa Rose
    robinvan said:

Congrats to Lisa and Andy!! Happy Anniversary!
    I was born in Arkansas, then spent about 9 years in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I've been in Canada since grade 7. Technically I still have duel citizenship. I enjoy a trip or two to Florida every year to visit my folks who like to spend 6 months there as "snowbirds". Family is on both sides of the 49th.
    I love Halifax. My folks lived in Wolfville for a few years and I met my wife there. Her Mom is still in Wolfville so we are back every now and then.
    What is "zip-trekking"?
    Rob; in Vancouver

Hi Rob,

Ziptrek guides take you on an interpretive adventure through the treetops between Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. With ten ziplines in total, Ziptrek has two fantastic and distinct tours to choose from.

Ziptrek Tours
    Feel the adrenaline pump through your veins as you soar along ziplines up to 2,000' long and 200' above the forest floor while reaching speeds of 80 km/hr!

Andy thought I would chicken out so he would not have to go - I thought no way. . . We went and had a awesome time.

Check out the below link:
    http://www.ziptrek.com/joomla/index.php

Thanks for your kind anniversary wishes.

Lisa
  • Sam725
    Sam725 Member Posts: 87 Member
    I too have come to appreciate this board, and want to thank all of you who reply to my questions. I don't post much but when I do someone always has an answer or a pick me up comment to keep me moving along. Thank you! Sandy