This is all new to me.

melanied
melanied Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
At the age of 29 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. 6 months ago, I was given a clean bill of health but recently learned it may have spread to my uterus. My sister found this site for me and encouraged me to sign up and ask my questions here. The truth is, I know so little, I don't even know what to ask. I would love to learn more about what to expect, what I can do nutritionally and maybe even with exercise, how I can reduce the risk to my beautiful children, and anything else I can learn about things I have probably not even thought of.

Comments

• kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Hi Melanie,

Give us some information about your stage and treatment. You will have an abundance of answers to all your questions and lots of concern, prayers and compassion. I'm so sorry you are here at such a young age, but you will hear (read) many stories from Stage 4 survivors that are doing just fine. I personally know those who will chirp in with nutritional advice and I advise you to always continue to exercise all you can. One of the best ways to help with the fatigue of treatment is to exercise.

Check out some of the personal websites and I am sure you will hear from lots of us "semi-colons".

Kerry
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Kerry is right...what was your colon cancer? An where? That will help a little with our answers.

Mine was squamous cell carcinoma...a little odd for the rectum...usually, this is anal...BUT, squamous cells themselves live well in the female reproductive area as well....

Welcome to the semi-colons....we ARE a fun bunch of people...and VERY knowlegable...you know, the "been there/done that" variety. And don't be afraid to ask anything....we even openly discuss color, frequency, consistency, everything...lol...

Hugs, Kathi

PS...only question not to ask...my age...rofl!
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Hi and welcome, but as always, sorry you have to be here. The main thing I want to tell you is to take one day at a time, research all you can and come here often for support. Have you had a treatment plan, surgery , etc? . As others have said, check out personal webpages . There is a lot of info out there and stay away from statistics as they are outdated in most cases. Many here are into juicing, so I'm sure they will post their personal stories and advice. Also, pickup a copy of Patrick Quillins beating cancer with nutrition book. A lot of solid advice in there. God Bless

Diane
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member

Hi and welcome, but as always, sorry you have to be here. The main thing I want to tell you is to take one day at a time, research all you can and come here often for support. Have you had a treatment plan, surgery , etc? . As others have said, check out personal webpages . There is a lot of info out there and stay away from statistics as they are outdated in most cases. Many here are into juicing, so I'm sure they will post their personal stories and advice. Also, pickup a copy of Patrick Quillins beating cancer with nutrition book. A lot of solid advice in there. God Bless

Diane

Hiya Mel and welcome to our family of "semi-colons".I don't need to repeat the advice you have already here except to say that a full profile on your health etc. is usefull for others to help you with advice. As Kathi said we discuss EVERYTHING, not that us fellas can help with the girlie stuff but you would be surprised how dealing with cancer cuts thru the taboo of talking about bodily functions. Isn't that right gals?...gals?
    Anyway, you are sure to get some help here. The gals outnumber us guys but at least they treat us kindly. Oh...and sometimes a sense of humour helps.
    I hope that the cancer has not spread Mel...keep us up to date please. And ask anything...even questions that might seem trivial to you may well be of importance.
    Ross n Jen from "upside down land".
  • dawnsweetness
    dawnsweetness Member Posts: 2
    KathiM said:

Kerry is right...what was your colon cancer? An where? That will help a little with our answers.

Mine was squamous cell carcinoma...a little odd for the rectum...usually, this is anal...BUT, squamous cells themselves live well in the female reproductive area as well....

Welcome to the semi-colons....we ARE a fun bunch of people...and VERY knowlegable...you know, the "been there/done that" variety. And don't be afraid to ask anything....we even openly discuss color, frequency, consistency, everything...lol...

Hugs, Kathi

PS...only question not to ask...my age...rofl!

hi Kathi,
    Im Dawn aged 35 and have just been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the rectum. I see the oncologist next friday to discuss treatment.My tumor is >5cm, no lymph node involvment noticed not met at present. Ive had CAT,MRI scans and every oscopy going. Can you give me some advice and knowledge to help me on this long road.
    thankyou, Dawn x
  • renee2u
    renee2u Member Posts: 27

hi Kathi,
    Im Dawn aged 35 and have just been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the rectum. I see the oncologist next friday to discuss treatment.My tumor is >5cm, no lymph node involvment noticed not met at present. Ive had CAT,MRI scans and every oscopy going. Can you give me some advice and knowledge to help me on this long road.
    thankyou, Dawn x

Hi Dawn... I am 49 and I was diagnosed on 8/10 with squamous cell carcinoma of the rectum... the cancer was growing and spreading so fast that it ended up pushing up against a major artery and making me bleed internally... by the time my husband got me to the hospital they had to give me 5 units of blood...
    It's been a scary 6 months but I'm now in remission... YEAH!