Remembering Sweet Baby Girl Andrea

Lisa Rose
Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,

May 10th will mark the first anniversary of the passing of Sweet Baby Girl Andrea Elder. Please take a moment today and remember this truly special young women that we all came to admire for her courage, strength and determination in the fight. Andrea was one of a kind and is truly missed by all who knew her. The below are some expressions that were felt one year ago and remain today.

Baby Lisa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Semi - Colons Remembering Andrea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andrea

A message from your cyber-friends, the "Semi-Colons". . .

"What lies behind you and what lies before you are tiny matters compared to
what lies within you."

You embodied these words of Ralph Waldo Emerson. You were... no, you ARE...
a shining inspiration to all of us. You showed us all how to cope with our
disease with grace, courage, dignity, humour, determination, and a fighting
spirit. And, most of all, you showed how to love life and live every moment
of it that was given to us. You gave each of us all of those things you
held inside yourself. What lay behind you? Treatments, surgery, pain,
sorrow, fear. What lies before you? Peace, comfort, rest.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Sleep well our "sweet baby girl", know that we all carry a piece of you
inside of us and we will carry on your fight. I pray we can do it with even
half the grace and courage of you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While it is very sad to see such a young, tenacious, happy, vibrant spirit pass from
our midst I know we are all richer for having been touched by her presence.

I have lost my personal cancer hero, but I know she is in a much better
place and will shine down on us all each and every day.

Rest well, Andrea. Thank you for touching our lives and showing us the true
meaning of courage, grace, selflessness, and joy in living...

SpongeBob

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Now we grieve the loss of someone so sweet, loving, smart and very tender.

We must continue to fight this disease.
Kerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I never got the chance to get to know Andrea , But when I was first diagnosed I remember reading a lot of her post. And feel like I knew her . Her SPIRT and Her "I CAN "!!! She brought to this board will live on forever !!!

My Heart goes out to all Her Family and friends..

"May the Lord Bless her and Keep Her"
Debra.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also never got to know Andrea, but from reading posts about her always got the feeling that there was something special about her. Can you tell us a few things about her, for those of us not fortunate to have gotten to know her?

I wish the best for her family and loved ones.

Rodney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She was a young lady, early 20s. She prided herself on being tough and brave, despite all that was thrown her way. She wore mini skirts in the coldest of winters, and thongs to colonoscopies! She was working on her doctoral degree and was quite the smart cookie!

The world is empty without her...

Stacy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Words can not describe how special Andrea was/is. I have never learned so much from someone so young. I hate that this horrid disease took her from us but I am honored to have known and learned from her.
Lisa P.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am deeply saddened to hear of Andrea's passing. I always looked forward to reading her posts, and I have missed seeing them lately. Through it all, she had the most amazing, upbeat outlook on life. Very tragic and unbelievably sad...

Deepest Sympathy~

Michele

I googled her and found a nice article on her and her fight. You can find it at http://www.mcgill.ca/reporter/36/13/stein/.

I think I'll roll up in a cornor somewhere for a good cry now. But I know she's in a better place now, without pain and suffering.

JADot

I read a lot of her earlier posts when I first joined this wonderful site. I know she is an angel now and at peace. My prayers go out to her family.

Audrey

I'm so sorry to hear of Andrea's death. Her posts were always so uplifting and inspiring.

Jamie

Yet again we are brought to tears with the passing of someone special on this forum. Andrea was so full of spirit and determination and will always be an inspirational memory for all of us. She fought a brave battle and is now at peace.
alihamilton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andrea was one of the first people to respond to my first post to this board last year. I told several people of her encouragement to me to

"Just keep swimming!!" (Dory from Finding Nemo).

It made me laugh and feel stronger.

It's very sad that such a gem has passed.

My thought and prayers are with her family and many friends,
Maria

As it sometimes happens all of us here are fearfull when one of our own fails to post and I have no doubt that everyone, like me had concerns when Andrea was not posting. Questions were often asked here in the past few months as to her whereabouts and her health. Knowing Andreas great attitude and her determination to continue to fight her cancer and continue her studies I am sure many of us hoped and prayed that her studies kept her from us. Sadly I was mistaken...very sadly mistaken. Andrea inspired me by replying to my very first posts such a long time ago. For all of us here her courage must live on in our own quest to "kick but".

Sleep peacefully baby girl.

The news is sad....but we honor Andrea by following her example.
Ross and Jen

Wow what person I wish I could have met her! I needed a good cry. Sue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The world has a hole where our Sweet Baby Girl used to be.

Every time Andrea posted you could feel the room brighten up in here. I always felt like I was running over to hug her when she showed up.

Her spirit and attitude was enviable and we were all the better for it.

She would disappear for times and we always rested assured that she was swamped in schoolwork. I would fuss at her for working so hard and not taking enough time to rest and heal, but how does one "pin a wave upon the sand"?

Our Sweet Baby Girl truly lived life to its fullest. I'll never forget her talking about having to deal with her boyfriend and her "bag". It surely didn't stop her!

Yes, Andrea was special. You could feel it--it was not "virtual" at all. It was tangible.

Sweet Baby Girl, may you dance in freedom for eternity. Thank you for being in my life.
peace, Emily who grieves for Andrea now.

I did not know Andrea, but I am very saddened by the news. She was so young. It sounds like she was a real fighter.

Cancer sucks. I hate this disease!!!!!!!!!! I just get so angry when this monster claims another one of us.

No more suffering, no more pain, Sweet Baby Girl. You fought so hard. May the angels be with you.
Terri

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry I never met her...so young. Kathi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andrea holds a special place in my heart. She was one of the first ones to respond to my first post and her reply was so full of hope, as almost all her posts were. She has left her mark in this world and it is a huge, beautiful one. She will be missed, but not forgotten.

Mary

I remember Andrea well. She was so full of life and did it all knowing she was terminal. She had emailed me many times when I was thinking of the ostomy surgery. She had been through so much and still had a great attitude. She was so young to have to deal with all this. She will be greatly missed.

Maureen

Rest In Peace Sweet Baby Girl

Love Fellow Canadian
Lisa Rose

Comments

• scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Thank you Lisa Rose for helping me to remember this very special young lady that lived among us once but know looks over us all as one of our very own semi-colon angels.

My favorite quote of hers was "This cancer may very well kill me, BUT NOT TODAY".

Hugs up there to you Sweet Baby Girl!!!!

Love, Lisa P.
  • oneagleswings
    oneagleswings Member Posts: 425 Member
    scouty said:

Thank you Lisa Rose for helping me to remember this very special young lady that lived among us once but know looks over us all as one of our very own semi-colon angels.

My favorite quote of hers was "This cancer may very well kill me, BUT NOT TODAY".

Hugs up there to you Sweet Baby Girl!!!!

Love, Lisa P.

Funny..I was thinking about Andrea today when we got the news that my husband is "stable disease" at present..and our continuing mantra is a tribure to Andrea..that cancer may kill him..but not today...thanks Lisa for re-printing the words from our semi-colon family...many more tributes were also inscribed on the memorial page from the funeral home (wish you all could have read those -for those of you who did not know Andrea during our time with us...if you google "Andrea Elder" you will find an article about her in her University newspaper...I feel blessed to have had her light shine on us through this board...sleep well dear Andrea...may God continue to hold you in the palm of His hand.
    Bev
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    I was thinking about andrea the other day. She was an inspiration to us all. What a great person she was.

Maureen
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    I cannot believe it's been a whole year....I can only imagine how hard it is still on her family. Way too young, way too unfair.

Stacy
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    When I think of this disease and I think of how difficult the fight is, I think of Andrea and how she never gave up. How she fought hard, lived her life to the fullest possible and always looked into the future. She was and still is truly an inspiration.

We miss her deeply.

Thank you Lisa Rose for this wonderful memorial to our very brave baby girl.

Kerry
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    I wish I would have known her. Sounds like a wonderful person.
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Andrea sounds like a true inspiration. In each of us we have that ability to win even every situation. It sounds like she truely was one who won. Her positive attitude it appears lives on im so many on this board.
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    View
    Webpage

Send
    Email
    Add To
    Friends
    Add to
    Favorites

Remembering Andrea Elder
    Contributed by: Lisa Rose
    Andrea Elder

In remembrance of Andrea Elder who passed away after a long and courageous battle with Colorectal Cancer on May10th, at the tender age of 24.

Andrea came to the CSN in January 2003, like the rest of us to look for support. But three years later we were the ones learning from this truly amazing young lady the true meaning of Hope, Courage, Selflessness & Bravery. Andrea was a ray of sunshine that will live on in each of us and will be sadly missed by all.

Sweet Baby Girl " Andrea " may you rest in peace now and dance with the angels. Your job is done.

Love Fellow Canadian,
    Lisa Rose & The Semi Colons

• kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    nanuk said:

View
    Webpage

Send
    Email
    Add To
    Friends
    Add to
    Favorites

Remembering Andrea Elder
    Contributed by: Lisa Rose
    Andrea Elder

In remembrance of Andrea Elder who passed away after a long and courageous battle with Colorectal Cancer on May10th, at the tender age of 24.

Andrea came to the CSN in January 2003, like the rest of us to look for support. But three years later we were the ones learning from this truly amazing young lady the true meaning of Hope, Courage, Selflessness & Bravery. Andrea was a ray of sunshine that will live on in each of us and will be sadly missed by all.

Sweet Baby Girl " Andrea " may you rest in peace now and dance with the angels. Your job is done.

Love Fellow Canadian,
    Lisa Rose & The Semi Colons

As I wrote in my post all that time ago. There were many of us here that were desparate to hear from our baby gal. I recall Andrea telling us that she was so intensly committed to finishing her studies. We were ALL in awe of her tremendous spirit and fortitude to continue even tho we all knew that Andrea was fighting hard to contain the beast. She was also an energetic lady with the ability to promote laughter in us all. Her absence from our board at times created mixed feelings from us all as to her wellbeing...then she would bounce back telling us of her journey, her determination to live her life to the full no matter what hardships she faced. You smile down on us Andrea...and we know you do!
    I know you can read this....love always from Ross and Jen
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Thank you for reminding us Lisa. It is indeed very hard to believe that a whole year has passed. It just goes to show how fleeting life is and that we must take advantage of each day we are fortunate enough to enjoy. The most important thing that I learned from her was to continue to follow your dreams and make plans. Even if you have to cancel your plans at a later time, you have to go on living and dreaming, and hoping.
    -Susan
  • livin
    livin Member Posts: 318 Member
    Thank You Lisa for the reminder of Andrea. She is gone but never ever forgotten, rest in peace my angel. Livin