She's giving up!

munga
munga Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Brain Cancer #1
My mother-in-law has been going through chemo for 2.5 months now and is ready to give up. I don't know the specifics of her brain cancer but after her first dose of chemo the Dr. said she was doing well and would only have to have 4 instead of 6 treatments. Still, she is suffering from it and cannot handle it mentally. What should I do or say to make her stick it out?! Survivors, tell me what it took for you to keep on going. Caregivers, tell me what you did to keep your loved ones fighting! Thank you.

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • munga,

I am surviving brain cancer and my best advise is to just focus on the positives and give her as much freedom as you possibly can. That is the most difficult thing to deal with is the loss of freedom. Not being able to do what you want to do, feeling bad 24/7 just takes so much. It's worse than being locked away, because you know there are things to do but this disease has taken that ability to do those things.

SUPPORT, HOPE, ENCOURAGEMENT are wonderful gifts you can give her. Just don't over do it, let her have some freedom to do things for herself. Having said that, also be willing to help when she asks or obviously needs it.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    When my Sister was going through treatment for her brain tumors, I think some of the best support we could give her was just to be with her. Mom and Dad went with her to all her treatments. I got to go once and saw first-hand the dramatic improvements her her functional ablility after just 1 radiation treatment. She had lost fine motor control to the point that she could no longer play the piano, and when she tried to pour a glass of water it went all over the counter, not in the glass. within 24 hours of the 1st treatment she could hit the glass over 50% of the time and she was making few, if any errors on the piano. I know cancer is a very individual thing, and everone's experience is unique...but I would say be there. Help if help is requested... try to see a need and ask before you fill it. Even if she might not do it as well as she is used to, let her try if she wants to. Just be there. I think looking for encouraging words from other survivors on this website is a great idea. If my Sister was still here, I'd ask her to write some. I know her faith in God and the support of her family and Christian Community was great for her, as it is for me with my breast cancer.

Keep up the good work, she is blessed with a daughter-in-law who is concerned enough to seek help. seof