Clarifying CEA question

changing
changing Member Posts: 134
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Questioning whether or not I can expect my CEA to keep dropping even though chemo stopped last month? I'm happy that it's still going down and is 1.8 but would like to see it drop further as it was only 4.8 with 5cmm tumor and 16 positive nodes. During the last 2 months it did drop by.1. Has anyone had the number continue to drop after several months. I'm certainly not stressed but just wondering.

Comments

• Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Hi,

I can identify with your concern over your CEA, but I think it will probably "bounce" around and anything under 3 is considered normal. Mine was steadily rising for awhile, but still in the normal range, and then it dropped to its lowest level ever...1.1....at my last reading. I am almost three years out of chemo, but I still fret over mine, so I can't tell you not to worry. Congratulations over completing chemo.

Always BELIEVE,

Kay
  • changing
    Kanort said:

Hi,

I can identify with your concern over your CEA, but I think it will probably "bounce" around and anything under 3 is considered normal. Mine was steadily rising for awhile, but still in the normal range, and then it dropped to its lowest level ever...1.1....at my last reading. I am almost three years out of chemo, but I still fret over mine, so I can't tell you not to worry. Congratulations over completing chemo.

Always BELIEVE,

Kay

Hi Kay, Thanks for answering:) Did yours "bounce" while you were having tx's or after you completed the tx's? Happy to hear you're 3 years out...WOW!!!!
  • changing
    changing said:

Hi Kay, Thanks for answering:) Did yours "bounce" while you were having tx's or after you completed the tx's? Happy to hear you're 3 years out...WOW!!!!

Oops, I know you did complete the chemo.
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Mine was never very high, even with stage iv. NED now since 8/05 and it is 0.8. Jo Ann
  • changing
    jams67 said:

Mine was never very high, even with stage iv. NED now since 8/05 and it is 0.8. Jo Ann

Hi Jo Ann, I remember reading your note on calling all 4's:) That was such a shot of good information!!! Hope we continue to post like that from time to time. I do have a couple of quetions. First I happy to see your CT went real well this month!!!!!!!!! That's sooo cool! Can you tell me ...what was your highest CEA reading and how long did it take to go down to .8 ?:)
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    changing said:

Hi Jo Ann, I remember reading your note on calling all 4's:) That was such a shot of good information!!! Hope we continue to post like that from time to time. I do have a couple of quetions. First I happy to see your CT went real well this month!!!!!!!!! That's sooo cool! Can you tell me ...what was your highest CEA reading and how long did it take to go down to .8 ?:)

8/05 just before surgery CEA was 6.0 and at last blood work 3 mo. ago it was 0.8. For me it was a good indicator, but it never was very high compared to some of you.
    Jo Ann
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    FYI: CEA values are not absolute; meaning different labs will give different numbers. The most importants is the % drop, and reaching "normal" levels. Try not to get tooo stressed about it. The same week I got a 21 at one lab, and then 11 at MD Anderson's lab.

Congrats on completing chemo!! That is AMAZING... may all your CT's now be NED.
    jana