MOM/FRUSTRATED

CFOXX
CFOXX Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
HELLO, I AM A NEW MEMBER AND HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS IN REFERENCE TO COLON CANCER. I KNOW THIS SOUNDS STRANGE, BUT FORTUNATELY MY MOM GOT SICK AND WE TOOK HER TO THE HOSPITAL WHERE WE FOUND OUT SHE HAD COLON CANCER---THEY REMOVED APPROX. 40% OF THE COLON AND EVERYTHING LOOKED GREAT. --NO SIGN OF SPREADING---NO CHEMO (STAGE II).
DID A CEA COUNT 1 MONTH LATER AND IT WAS 3.4. DID ANOTHER CEA IN 3 MONTHS AND IT WAS DOWN TO 2.1 (GREAT). THEN, WE TOOK ANOTHER CEA IN 6 MONTHS AND THE CEA HAS RISEN TO 3.6. NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS. WE DID A CT SCAN (SOME AREAS SHOWED UP BUT NOTHING SCREAMING CANCER)--DID A CYSTOSCOPE AND THAT LOOKED GOOD. WE ARE SCHEDULED TO A COLONOSCOPY AND INDOSCOPIC ON THE 20TH OF MARCH. SURE AM NERVOUS FOR HER AS SHE IS A SEVERE DIABETIC AND AM NOT SURE SHE COULD HANDLE CHEMO. SHE IS 75 YEARS OLD. MAYBE I AM JUST WORRYING OVER NOTHING AND THERE WAS JUST A GLICH IN THE CEA TEST. HELP, WHAT DO YOU THINK. MOSTLY, I AM FRUSTRATED OF HURRY UP TO THE DOCTOR AND THEN WAIT AND WAIT AND WAIT.

Comments

• tschilling
    tschilling Member Posts: 1
    Don't get too worked up about the CEA count. It's supposed to be below a 4, but it's not a real reliable test. When I was diagnosed with Stage III Colon Cancer, my CEA count should have been over 40, but it was under 4, so don't let that test worry you. I had about the same thing done as your mom. I'm a 2 year survivor, have faith.
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Welcome to the group. As many will tell you the CEA may be sensitive for some but for others is not a reliable indicator. Mine was never over 1 with Stage 2 rectal cancer and a recurrance. Hang in there.

• lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Hi,

I'm sorry that your mom had to go through this but you are lucky they caught it at stage 2. Like the others said CEA could rise for all types of reasons. The colonoscopy will help make you and your family feel better. Why are they doing an endescopy? My oldest daughter 18 just had one to rule out stomache ulcers so that is why I'm wondering. HUGS. I'm also diabetic and sometimes just not feeling well could be causing havoc with your mom. Please keep us informed.

Lisa F.
  • CFOXX
    THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP...I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE COLONOSCOPY GOES ON TUESDAY..
  • CFOXX
    to ifondots63,
    yes they are also looking for an irritated ulcer for my mom as she has just started vomitting for no reason and at no particular time. but also, stomach cancer runs in the family and i think they are just going to double check. thanks for your answers and concer.