colon cancer to ovary?

Lucylu
Lucylu Member Posts: 7
edited February 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am new here. I had stageII colon cancer two years ago w/ surgery but no other treatment. now they have found a questionable mass on my ovary and they want to take it out. has anyone had their colon CA spread to the ovary? I am worried.

Comments

• CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Hi there,
    No, I haven't. My gyno has spoken often that colon and reproducive cancers are not normally linked; still, she checks my ovaries often with ultrasounds and watched any cyst to make sure it was normal and remained cyclic. Others moight have differing opinions, but I think my gyn is pretty heads-up...
    Wishing you the best. I hope you have docs with whom you can have lots of communication. It really helps to have things explained.
    Take care and let us know - Maura
  • KFalvey
    KFalvey Member Posts: 118 Member
    Hi Lucylu,
    Yes, I had a recurrance in the left ovary less than 6 months after finishing Folfox 4, but I was stage 3 with 1 lymph node involved. I had surgery to remove the ovaries last year and they found a 2nd small tumor in the cul-de-sac between the rectum and vagina. CEA went back to below normal after surgery, I did 6 months of Folfiri with Avastin; finished last Nov. So far so good. Hope everything turns out well for you. Prayers. Kandy
  • peacegift2002
    peacegift2002 Member Posts: 16
    Yes, three years after treatment for stage III, my colorectal cancer recurred bigtime in my ovary (as well as in my lung and on top of my colon.) Surgery, radiation, and now FOLFOX with Avastin. Apparently it is not common, yet not uncommon. I am thankful it did not spread to my liver, as I am 51 and can live without my ovaries. I am hopeful, my oncologist is hopeful and I am hopeful for you too. I'm not a regular poster here but there is a positive energy on this site. Keep in touch.
  • 66Rose
    66Rose Member Posts: 58
    I was misdianosed with ovarian/primary peritneal cancer and had the wrong Chemo etc. Then it was discovered I had rectal cancer.

Because my cancer was masked and responsive to hormones, they did a radical hystorectomy during my surgery. From what I have read and been told, colon cancer and ovarian cancer are related. For instance if colon cancer runs in your family your risk of getting ovarian cancer is high and I think there are a lot of women who get hystorectomies along with their surgeries. Here is a good article about the relation of the two: http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/patientcare/healthinformation/otherhealthtopics/GynecologicalHealth/OvarianCancerandHereditar4480/

I have the HNPCC strain of colo/rectal cancer.

Let us know what you find out.

God Bless,

Liz
    www.runlizrun.com
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Well, darn...maybe I have had a false sense of security. Guess I will keep an eye on things...I am hoping that every six months is good enough to check things out. Thanks a lot to everyone - Maura
  • minniemoose
    minniemoose Member Posts: 10
    Hi Lucy...I had colorectal cancer which haad spread thru my vagina to my uterus...I had a total hysterectomy, "bum" removal and now have a colostomy pouch. My cancer was stage three pushing stage four...and I was very lucky to get away with it....Sometimes if the docs are at all suspicious of a mass...they will remove it....try not to worry...they can remove the ovary and the mass too...any help I can be let me know...
  • JADot
    JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
    Hi Lucy,

Hmm..yes, there is a strong link between colon cancer, ovarian cancer and uterine cancer. This is especially the case for women with HNPCC. In an article that came out at about this time in 2005 on the New England Journal of medicine, there were some very definitely data showing a very strog correlation. Acutally the % increased risk is much much higher for uterine cancer than it is for ovarian cancer according this survey. I was told by a German MD that in Europe they often do preemtive surgery for some women as prevention. I am sure this is not the news you want to hear. I track it because I am HNPCC-positive, so I am in that high risk group.

Good luck to you, please please check it out thoroughly just to be safe.

Ying
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Hi Lucylu,

Welcome.

My onc said that for women colon cancer can jump over to the ovary. My only scare was with an ovarian cyst. It was right next to where my original tumor was so it was quite a scare. But it turned out to be nothing more than a normal ovarian cyst. Let's hope yours is too.

My sister who had intestinal cancer also experienced a "questionable mass" on her ovaries and went into surgery expecting to wake up without any of her ovaries. But when they went in they found they were just water filled cysts (even though the ultrasound showed differently). She kept her ovaries and went on to conceive a child! She was covered in prayer.

You will be in my prayers as well.

peace, emily
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    A year after chemo, I too had not one but three "masses" on one ovary and one on the other. They became very painful and I had a laproscopic procedure to remove them as well as my fallopian tubes. All 4 came back as benign ovarian cysts.......NO CANCER.

I was very relieved to say the least and really enjoyed the instant pain relief!!!!

Lisa P.
  • Lucylu
    Lucylu Member Posts: 7
    scouty said:

A year after chemo, I too had not one but three "masses" on one ovary and one on the other. They became very painful and I had a laproscopic procedure to remove them as well as my fallopian tubes. All 4 came back as benign ovarian cysts.......NO CANCER.

I was very relieved to say the least and really enjoyed the instant pain relief!!!!

Lisa P.

I am so touched by all the replies and information. YOU, the ultimate experts have all convinced me that I should have the surgery (I was going to try to talk them out of it thinking it was not necessary). I am hopeful now that maybe it can be done laproscopically and that maybe it is not cancer. I read that the ovary is the size of an almond so I have an almond that I carry around with me and visualize as cancer free. you all are such an inspiration to me and make me a braver and better person. thank you.
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Lucylu said:

I am so touched by all the replies and information. YOU, the ultimate experts have all convinced me that I should have the surgery (I was going to try to talk them out of it thinking it was not necessary). I am hopeful now that maybe it can be done laproscopically and that maybe it is not cancer. I read that the ovary is the size of an almond so I have an almond that I carry around with me and visualize as cancer free. you all are such an inspiration to me and make me a braver and better person. thank you.

very cool visualization. And while you're at it eat at least 10 almonds a day--they are cancer fighters!!

peace, emily
  • MuddyFeet
    MuddyFeet Member Posts: 1 *

I had 2 masses about the size of large grapefruits in my abdomen, turns out one was in the uterus and one in the right ovary. The ovary was cancer, but not ovarian, it had colon markers. I have been poked, probed, scanned weekly for months after the full hysterectomy. I just got more results back from the cancer it is colon cancer, but my entire system from top to bottom inside and outside looks awesome. So 2 different surgeons from 2 different surgeries claim I am cancer free as of right now, but I have to have special blood tests done twice a year, and a colonoscopy at least once a year for years to come to see if and where it shows back up at in the future. Life goes on. I live every day like it is my last, no one is guaranteed tomorrow. Good Luck.