Has anyone had effects (enteritis) from radiology ?

AlMona
AlMona Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
has anyone had severe side effects caused by radiation my wife has come down with what Dr called chronic enteritis. she hasnt ate since Oct. I hook her up to a TPN feeding every night. she has been hospitalized numerous times with severe nausea and vomiting. for the last 3 weeks she has been nauseated alomost daily and I now have been giving her anti nausea injection. just would like to know what to expect.

Comments

• taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    I have heard of radiation enteritis but I'm sorry I don't have personal experience or information to share. It sounds like your wife has very severe enteritis. My heart goes out to both of you. 'Since October' is a very long time. Does the doctor give you any sense of what might lie ahead -- when is she expected to improve and what else might he suggest? Have you considered getting a second opinion (I don't mean to question your doctor's diagnosis or management -- but sometimes a second opinion can be useful even with a wonderful 'primary' doctor....). Best wishes to you both.
  • AlMona
    AlMona Member Posts: 6
    taraHK said:

I have heard of radiation enteritis but I'm sorry I don't have personal experience or information to share. It sounds like your wife has very severe enteritis. My heart goes out to both of you. 'Since October' is a very long time. Does the doctor give you any sense of what might lie ahead -- when is she expected to improve and what else might he suggest? Have you considered getting a second opinion (I don't mean to question your doctor's diagnosis or management -- but sometimes a second opinion can be useful even with a wonderful 'primary' doctor....). Best wishes to you both.

from what Dr say and reading websites this can last for quite a while and must heal on its own. what happens is the intestine get "burnt ' from radiation. they swell and the insides deterioate to where they dont funtion. this past friday after 6 consecutive days of nausea Dr added a steriod which is suppose to help with the inflamation. I pray to God this will be the trick to recovery
  • lorriel
    lorriel Member Posts: 4
    I had colo rectal cancer in 1996, at age 42. HAd radiation and chemo..I've been clean for 11 years!. I had enteritis for a very long time.I did the hospital thing from time to time. Had a PIC line and did TPN quite frequently. After several years of pain and not being able to gain weight, they dicovered an infection had cacooned causing pain running down my leg, I was eventually going to starve to death. Fianlly (in 2005) I had surgery that lasted for 7-8 hrs. Many hours of removing scar tissue and ending up with an iliostomy. Got along fine, and within 6 months I had gained 30 pounds and felt great.. I am now able to get the nutrition that I need. HAving the ostomy literally saved my life.It took a few Drs. More opinions is key. Good luck