Update and question

Monicaemilia
Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Thanks so much to everyone who responded and gave me so much encouragement. It helped get me through a couple of really tough days.

Update - I'm starting chemo on November 30th, bought a wig and having my hair shaved off on November 27th (I have a 1 year old who would have too much fun pulling off my 'loose' hair), and am ready for the next phase in this battle. My surgeon told me that the spots in the lungs were not new, but were there before, and came to light when I was off chemo for awhile in preparation for my surgery. She did assure me though that surgery is still an option. She is more than willing to do a liver/lung resection if the chemo works.

I do have one other question. I was dx with FAP. Can anyone tell me whether they had any luck with their genetic testing? I'm going to have it done on November 28th in the hopes that we can find the mutation, but I understand that it is not as easy as it sounds. I'm just hoping to make it easier for my little boy.

Comments

• jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Did you doc say that you would lose all of your hair? Mine got thinner, but I still had enough to cover my head. Lost most of my eyelashes, nose hair and about half of my eyebrows. Don't cut your hair unless they tell you it will fall out!
    I'm not sure about the genetic testing, but there are people on this board who will know the answer to your question. jams
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I must agree with jams....my hair thinned, but I didn't lose it until the chemo for the breast cancer that followed. I DID get it cut shorter, tho...that way, it was easier to clean up the floor each day...and less stressful!

Ask your onc about this, it's nice to be prepared, but you may never need the wig!

Also, don't forget about some 'comfort' food...soft, yummy stuff...watch the milk products, tho...and don't forget the WATER (I drank 2 quarts a day, when I could, to flush the chemo out).

Hugs, kathi
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    I agree with the others about the hair. Mine has thinned but I have not lost it all. Great thing is I don't have to shave my legs!! Hooray!

Good luck with your treatment. Let us know how you are doing.

Kerry
  • midnte0708
    midnte0708 Member Posts: 166
    My father has been on strong chemo for 16 months now and still has thick head of hair. He was also on chemo back in 1993 and 1996 for 1 year each time and didn't lose any....everyone is different. I would wait if I were you to shave your hair.

Best wishes,
    Sue