Collagen injections for incontinence

harvs
harvs Member Posts: 54
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Anyone had any experience with this treatment for incontinence? Did it work?

Thanks

Comments

• bajakid
    bajakid Member Posts: 38
    I had the sling operation over a year ago and I am still leaking. I will have the Collagen injections done on Nov. 1st. That will also be a hit or miss from what I read. I will keep you posted on the results. Ron
  • harvs
    bajakid said:

I had the sling operation over a year ago and I am still leaking. I will have the Collagen injections done on Nov. 1st. That will also be a hit or miss from what I read. I will keep you posted on the results. Ron

I had a urodynamic study done last week and the Doc said I was not a candidate for the sling. He wants to do the injections and see if that works before we do the artificial sphincter. We'll see how it goes. I'll let you know
  • bajakid
    harvs said:

I had a urodynamic study done last week and the Doc said I was not a candidate for the sling. He wants to do the injections and see if that works before we do the artificial sphincter. We'll see how it goes. I'll let you know

I went to Balboa Navy Hospital for my sling operation but they did not do a Urodynamic test. There isn't much info as far as the Collagen is concerned on this site. I also noticed that is not to much chit chat about Muse for E.D. It works a lot better then sticking needles in you. At this point in time since I had the sling I don't think I want another surgery for the Artificial Sphincter. I hope the Collagen works.
  • harvs
    bajakid said:

I went to Balboa Navy Hospital for my sling operation but they did not do a Urodynamic test. There isn't much info as far as the Collagen is concerned on this site. I also noticed that is not to much chit chat about Muse for E.D. It works a lot better then sticking needles in you. At this point in time since I had the sling I don't think I want another surgery for the Artificial Sphincter. I hope the Collagen works.

I go for my first injections on Friday. He said it may take several shots over time to build up the necessary bulk in the bladder neck. he's not using collagen (they've found that it absorbs into the tissue and becomes less effective over time). There's newer stuff now that lasts longer.
  • bajakid
    harvs said:

I go for my first injections on Friday. He said it may take several shots over time to build up the necessary bulk in the bladder neck. he's not using collagen (they've found that it absorbs into the tissue and becomes less effective over time). There's newer stuff now that lasts longer.

Please keep me posted. I go Nov.1st and would like to know the name of the new stuff. Thanks Ron
  • harvs
    bajakid said:

Please keep me posted. I go Nov.1st and would like to know the name of the new stuff. Thanks Ron

The name of the medication is Tegress. The injections were not a pleasant experience. It's bad enough when they go up there with a scope, but adding a needle is just not nice. So far I've seen no improvement, but he says it may take several sessions.
  • bajakid
    harvs said:

The name of the medication is Tegress. The injections were not a pleasant experience. It's bad enough when they go up there with a scope, but adding a needle is just not nice. So far I've seen no improvement, but he says it may take several sessions.

Ouch. Did you get any medication for pain prior to the procedure? Was the medication Imipramine suggested for bladder control? It didn't work for me plus it is also an anti-depressant.Please keep me informed as to your progress. Thanks Ron
  • bajakid
    How is it going for you. I had my first injections and it went well. I will still need more.
  • harvs
    bajakid said:

How is it going for you. I had my first injections and it went well. I will still need more.

I had the first treatment a few weeks ago. There was no improvement, so I'm scheduled to go back for more in January.
  • lion1
    lion1 Member Posts: 241
    harvs said:

I had the first treatment a few weeks ago. There was no improvement, so I'm scheduled to go back for more in January.

It will be a year on 6 Jun 07, since I had my LRP. My biggest problem is the leaking, it just hasn't let up. My doctor has decided if there's no improvement by Sept 07, he's going forward with the Bovine Collagen injections. I agree. However, my surgeon has recommended me to wait up two years if necessary and see if I heal naturally. I can't even imagine going through this another year. I have had all the urodynamics tests done in the last few months, so I personally will be ready for the injections in Sept 07 if warranted. I was 46 when I was diagnosed.
  • lion1
    harvs said:

What's the latest on the effectiveness of the injections?
  • lion1
    bajakid said:

I am still holding off after 18 months from having any procedure. Anyone have any luck with the injections or artificial sphincter? Iwas going to take more drastic action when I hit the 2 yr mark in Jun 08.