2 Year Anniversary

chynabear
chynabear Member Posts: 481 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello everyone,

On October 4, 2004 I found myself celebrating my 27th birthday in a cold hospital getting a colonoscopy because of blood in my stool. During the scope, they found a single large juvenile polyp. The GI doc said not to worry, but in hindsight, I think he knew.

One year ago today, in fact almost to the hour, I received the heart-wrenching news that I had cancer. I could hear it in his voice even before he actually spoke the words. I remember thinking, "please don't say it. Please don't let it be true." I remember thinking, "I need to let him get around to just saying it his own way." I remember I had my mom on the other line at the time and just dropping to my knees crying and telling her, "Mom, I have cancer. CANCER!" I remember that my sleeping one year old daughter was the biggest thing on my mind and just repeating, "I'm too young to die. I can't leave my baby."

I didn't think I was going to get through this. I didn't think I was going to live to see another birthday.

I found myself in the surgeons office the very same day and scheduled for surgery three days later. I have never been so scared in my life. I just wanted it out of me. I was so scared that they were going to open me up and be forced to close me right back up because there was nothing they could do.

Thankfully, I lost the cancer and some colon that day. I had one affected node, which made me stage III.

A few weeks later I started six months of chemo.

I can't believe it has been two years. Thankfully, each of my scans has come back NED. I am scheduled for my annual scope on the 16th and will be getting my cat scanned in November... I am scared once again. These tests are so hard. But I believe that this too shall pass.

Thank you all for being here and being such a supportive group. I wish I would have found you sooner. There are so many people here to give inspiration each and every day. You are so brave and I love you all!

Patricia

Comments

• HowardJ
    HowardJ Member Posts: 474
    Congratulations on this milestone! Let us know how the tests come out.

Howard
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    I am thinking positive thoughts for a clear test coming up for you. Keep up the good work.
    Mark
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    Hi Patricia

That two year milestone is " HUGE " congratulations and enjoy this wonderful day and everyday.

Positive Thoughts Only,
    Lisa Rose
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Congratulations! Reaching the 2-year milestone is huge. I'm happy for you. I'm 10 months off chemo, 13 months NED and really looking forward (while not wishing my life away) to 2 years post-chemo.

I just spent an agonizing few days waiting for scan results, so I sympathize with your anxiety related to upcoming scans - impossible not to stress. Keep us posted and I know we are all sending good vibes to you.

Betsy
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Hi Patricia,

Congrats on the 2 years! Positive vibes sending your way for NEGATIVE (NED) results! The tests are easy, the waiting is what gets us. HUGS.

Lisa F.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Patricia,

Keep kicking butt girlfriend. I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing and your upcoming testing will be fine. As Lisa Rose says, 2 years is HUGE in regards to survival rate. YGG (you go girl).

Lisa P.
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Dear Patricia,

I felt almost crying reading your note. I can not even imagine going through something like this at your age. I think that you are very brave yourself. I am happy you made it thus far!

I will pray that your tests come back with excellent results.

Congratulations on your anniversary! I hope you are going to have 100 times more anniversaries like this.

Best Wishes, Eleonora
  • JADot
    JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
    OMG!!! That's great news!!! My onc said that 1st and 2nd anninversaries are biggies. So there you go, clear clear clear!!!

You go!

Cheers,
    Ying
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    JADot said:

OMG!!! That's great news!!! My onc said that 1st and 2nd anninversaries are biggies. So there you go, clear clear clear!!!

You go!

Cheers,
    Ying

I am 2 years 7 months NED Patricia and CT's,bloods still scare tha hell outa me! I guess no matter how hard we try the bad thoughts always surface. I often see young people like yourself at the clinic and even meet children battling this horrid disease and then I think that I should be kicked in tha butt for worrying too much.At 50 I have been lucky to avid major medical problems until cancer.....and it really pisses me off to hear and see so many young ones afflicted.You should not have to suffer this traumatic experience Patricia.....especially being so young.I admire you for your courage.
    Ross and Jen
  • pink05
    pink05 Member Posts: 550
    Patricia,

As a mother of an 11 month old little girl, I can relate to how you felt when you were first diagnosed. I think people and things in our lives keep us going and willing to fight in life. You have made it this far, and I am confident that you will be there for all the special moments in your daughter's life.

Praying for good upcoming scans.

God bless,

-Lee-
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    JADot said:

You go!

Cheers,
    Ying

Awesome!
  • crazylady
    crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
    Hi Patricia,
    congratulations on your 2 year anniversary!
    Jamie
  • finner
    finner Member Posts: 230 Member
    crazylady said:

Hi Patricia,
    congratulations on your 2 year anniversary!
    Jamie

Hi Patricia, that is really significnat, I think. I asked nurses last week about exact day of surgery (emergency, so all very sketchy) and it was7th Oct. 2004, so I would like to join in your celebration. Not NED, but not dead either! Sorry for morbidity!

XXXXX
    Margo
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    CONGRATS!!!! Now, let's go for 3, 4, & 5 years.