Worried in Indianapolis

kensm39
kensm39 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello everyone, I was diagnosed on 9/11/06 with rectal cancer and my oncologist said it was a T3 with the tumor being 7cm by 15cm directly in my rectum. To be truthful...I am scared. Is there any groups I could attend to get moral support? I do have a loving wife and daughter (16 year old) which is much comfort but I think another cancer survivor would really know where my fear and worry is coming from. Thank you for your time in listening to me.

Comments

• HowardJ
    HowardJ Member Posts: 474
    Welcome to the group. Fear is a normal part of what we're all going through. There are many folks here willing to listen and share their experiences. For a more face-to-face support group you might want to check the hospital/medical center where you were treated, for support groups. There are usually bulletin boards around with info on support groups. Also, if you feel you need it, there are therapists who specialize in helping cancer patients. There's no shame in it, and could be very helpful (it was for me).

Good luck!

Howard
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Hello,

I am so sorry about your diagnosis. There are a lot of survivors on this site with stage III and even IV and you will hear from them soon. This is very active group of people.

You may want to browse though this site to read different posts and also personal web pages.

You also may want to call your local chapter of American Cancer Society - there must be a group for colorectal cancer that meets locally where you live.

When are you going to start your treatment?

Please also look into the alternative methods of treatment. There are a couple of good books that I recommend: "Beating cancer with nutrition" by Patrick Quillan and "Outsmart your cancer" by Tanya Harter Pierce. These books could help you with making a decision of what to do.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Eleonora
  • JADot
    JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
    Hi Ken:

You've come to the right place for moral support. There is a remarkable group of fighter, survivors and really crack-ups on this forum. It's a all for one and one for all system here - we are all in this fight together. While this is not a face to face forum, it's been a life line for me. Also, it takes no effort to get there, so in a way, it's much more accessible.

Yeah, fear, it's there and it'll always be there. The way forward is just to live one day at a time, put one foot in front of another and do the next right thing.

The next right thing it seems should be getting that sucker out of there as fast as possible. While moral support is great, the sure path to new health is through aggressive treatment. Please please get right on it! What are your docs recommending as a course of treatment? Please keep us posted.

Good luck to you!
    JADot
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    HELLO FELLOW HOOSIER!

I live in Lowell, Indiana, about an hour and a half north of you.

ANYWAY....I was diagnosed 5 years ago next month at the age of 33 with stage 4 colon cancer. Been all clear ever since. You will "meet" a great group of people on this site who will offer everything they can to help get you through the rough times. My kids were 2, 4, & 7 when I was diagnosed. It wasn't until about 2 yrs ago that I told them how serious things were, and how they could have ended differently. I was very fortunate to have no chemo or radiation side effects. Only missed work for surgery recovery.

You will get a lot of good tips on this site. Nutritional ideas, swapping chemo side effect stories, and an occasional laugh or two.

Right now, from what I remember, the whole "not knowing" is what concerned me. Doctors throw around medical terms as though we are seasoned veterans! They automatically assume we are a text book case of whatever, and aren't always good at re-phrasing things. I suggest that you try to avoid getting your "prognosis." If doctors can predict how long anybody can live, then they should also be active on the psychic phone lines! Odds are for Vegas, expiration dates are for dairy products! (am I right fellow semi colons?!??!) By the way, you are now officially "one of us" and are a semi colon. We have a closely knit group of people here who many frequent here even though we are not treating anymore (me, for example!). I feel it's important to show everyone that the cancer DOES LOSE! I, along with the others here, will try to offer gentle suggestions based on what we experienced, or what worked for us. Remember, nothing you read on the internet should replace logic and medical advice. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't believe everything docs tell you. And if you don't feel a good connection with your doc, get another opinion until you feel like you and your physician are on the same page regarding your health.

Well, hope I helped. I think I speak for everyone here when I say welcome, and we will all do our best to help you through this.

Take each day as it comes,

Stacy
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Ahoy, Ken -

What is it with the Indiana water? There seem to be an inordinate number of Hoosiers on this board. Maybe we just like to gab.

Anyway, check with the folks at Community East (or is that Community North?) over on 82nd Street near Castleton. they have a major cancer center there and I would suspect that they have groups as well. Also check with the local American Cancer Society, they can steer you toward groups also - go to www.cancer.org (go to "Find ACS in Your Community" - you can't miss it - and enter your zip.

Lastly, I tried the group thing and came away from it feeling quite drained every week. It wasn't really for me (although it wasn't a "cancer" group per se; it was mostly people having marital problems) I did find that this group here at CSN is great. There is a lot of good info flowing around, mixed liberally with compassion, understanding, support and - of course - Ying's Friday Funnies. I finally just decided to quit the "professional" group and make CSN my group. Over the years, they've also become my surrogate family. Stacy is my MUCH older sister in case you're wondering.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the SemiColons, Ken!

- SpongeBob
  • StacyGleaso
    spongebob said:

Ahoy, Ken -

What is it with the Indiana water? There seem to be an inordinate number of Hoosiers on this board. Maybe we just like to gab.

Anyway, check with the folks at Community East (or is that Community North?) over on 82nd Street near Castleton. they have a major cancer center there and I would suspect that they have groups as well. Also check with the local American Cancer Society, they can steer you toward groups also - go to www.cancer.org (go to "Find ACS in Your Community" - you can't miss it - and enter your zip.

Lastly, I tried the group thing and came away from it feeling quite drained every week. It wasn't really for me (although it wasn't a "cancer" group per se; it was mostly people having marital problems) I did find that this group here at CSN is great. There is a lot of good info flowing around, mixed liberally with compassion, understanding, support and - of course - Ying's Friday Funnies. I finally just decided to quit the "professional" group and make CSN my group. Over the years, they've also become my surrogate family. Stacy is my MUCH older sister in case you're wondering.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the SemiColons, Ken!

- SpongeBob

(older my ****!) lol...my calculations put me at 4 yrs and 3 months YOUNGER, stud! I guess in lieu of smarts, you opted for the rugged good looks...lol
  • spongebob

(older my ****!) lol...my calculations put me at 4 yrs and 3 months YOUNGER, stud! I guess in lieu of smarts, you opted for the rugged good looks...lol

you're older than my ... what?

Yeah, I know, you're just a young chickie... but who loves ya, baby? Or should I say "Hot young thang"?
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    spongebob said:

you're older than my ... what?

Yeah, I know, you're just a young chickie... but who loves ya, baby? Or should I say "Hot young thang"?

Shame on you, dad....scaring all the cuties!!! LEAVE HER ALONE!!!!!

Hugs, your devoted daughter!
  • KathiM
    Hey, ken!
    Welcome! (oh, how I HATE to say that....means you have come face-to-face with the beast).

Stage III rectal....first rectal fold...5cm tumor. One lymph node looked 'Interested' (not interesting, mind you!)(What, was it watching the rectum as a spectator sport????)
    Yet, 19 months later, the rectal AND the breast cancer that followed it are HISTORY (or is it HER-story)......
    As you may have guessed, I am one of the smart-alecs...although it MAY be because I DRANK too much WAITING for my DAD.....sheesh!

Hugs, Kathi
  • StacyGleaso
    KathiM said:

Hey, ken!
    Welcome! (oh, how I HATE to say that....means you have come face-to-face with the beast).

Stage III rectal....first rectal fold...5cm tumor. One lymph node looked 'Interested' (not interesting, mind you!)(What, was it watching the rectum as a spectator sport????)
    Yet, 19 months later, the rectal AND the breast cancer that followed it are HISTORY (or is it HER-story)......
    As you may have guessed, I am one of the smart-alecs...although it MAY be because I DRANK too much WAITING for my DAD.....sheesh!

Hugs, Kathi

Kathi (which, by the way, is really the name of one of my 4 sisters!),

I can't resist....it's more of a SPHINCTER SPORT!

Slowly putting down the bottle,

Stacy

P.S. We need you in Halifax next month!!!!
  • KathiM

Kathi (which, by the way, is really the name of one of my 4 sisters!),

I can't resist....it's more of a SPHINCTER SPORT!

Slowly putting down the bottle,

Stacy

P.S. We need you in Halifax next month!!!!

Stacy,
    I am laughing soooooo hard....I am going to remember that forever.....although, come to think of it, it MAY play only to a small, select audience...

Does you sis spell it the same???? COOL...does SHE have to spell it for everyone over, and over, and over AGAIN????

Hugs, Kathi
  • spongebob
    KathiM said:

Hey, ken!

Hugs, Kathi

You may need to explain that a little bit...
  • StacyGleaso
    KathiM said:

Stacy,
    I am laughing soooooo hard....I am going to remember that forever.....although, come to think of it, it MAY play only to a small, select audience...

Does you sis spell it the same???? COOL...does SHE have to spell it for everyone over, and over, and over AGAIN????

Hugs, Kathi

LMAO!!!!! I, too, am cracking up hysterically!

My sis spells it with a "Y" (at the end, not at the beginning), but I think it's pronounced the same.......lol......
  • pink05
    pink05 Member Posts: 550
    Hi,

You have definitely come to the right place. You will find so much support in this site. It is a Godsend. I would also checkout some local support groups in your area. Try contacting the American Cancer Society for local support groups. You can also contact the Colon Cancer Alliance for help. They send you lots of info. and also set you up with a buddy who can relate to what you are going through. You are in my prayers. I know that this diagnosis is scary, but it is treatable and beatable!!!

God bless,

-Lee-