Update on my surgery

ruggersocks
ruggersocks Member Posts: 78 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Thank you so much for all your positive thoughts, wishes, prayers for me as I went through my surgery on Monday the 28th.

The surgeon was able to remove the tumour without installing a temporary bag - a great relief! The day after surgery was a blur of pain and trying to walk down the hallway. I took all the advice to heart and pushed myself a little bit everyday to walk more and more. Drank a lot, ate a little more each day.

I am now home as of yesterday (Friday afternoon) and it's been a whirlwind of joy, pain, aches, sores, and just plain nerve. I've been moving a lot around my house and trying to keep my 2 little girls from jumping on my belly.

If you remember, I wrote asking for advice on how to handle my older daughters fear about me going to the hospital. My husband and my parents handled it day by day. She had some touchy moments and we talked on the phone a couple of times, but she did not visit me. For which I was glad because I was not in a good frame of mind to try to be 'jolly mommy'.

My rectal cancer was diagnosed as a Stage III with 2 lymph nodes involved. I meet with the oncologist next week to go though a plan for additional chemo after I've recovered from surgery. I'll do whatever it takes to get a cure and live to be a grandma to my own kids kids!

Hugs and love to you,
Cheryl

Comments

• betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Hi Cheryl, I am glad for you that the surgery is over,you brought me back the memories of me just 2 months ago,I had my tumor removed and I had 1 positive lymph node, so very similar to yours, I started chemo 15 days ago,the treament is called folfox and there are going to be 12 treatments so more or less will be 6 month, let me tell you that the first one was fine I didn't have any side effects,except the fith day that I was very tired, I very happy to see that you are ready to fight this ,you have to be convinced that right now you are cured, and the chemo will be your extra policy insurance,and of course that you'll be around to babysit for your grandchildren, lots of hugs, Betina
  • betina61
    Hi Cheryl, I am glad for you that the surgery is over,you brought me back the memories of me just 2 months ago,I had my tumor removed and I had 1 positive lymph node, so very similar to yours, I started chemo 15 days ago,the treament is called folfoxand there are going to be 12 treatments so more or less will be 6 month, let me tell you that the first one was fine I didn't have any side effects,except the fith day that I was very tired, I very happy to see that you are ready to fight this ,you have to be convinced that right now you are cured, and the chemo will be your extra policy insurance,and of course that you'll be around to babysit your grandchildren, lots of hugs, Betina
  • betina61
    Hi Cheryl, I am glad for you that the surgery is over,you brought me back the memories of me just 2 months ago,I had my tumor removed and I had 1 positive lymph node, so very similar to yours, I started chemo 15 days ago,the treament is called folfox and there are going to be 12 treatments so more or less will be 6 month, let me tell you that the first one was fine I didn't have any side effects,except the fith day that I was very tired, I very happy to see that you are ready to fight this ,you have to be convinced that right now you are cured, and the chemo will be your extra policy insurance,and of course that you'll be around to babysit your grandchildren, lots of hugs, Betina
  • betina61
    Hey,sorry that my reply came triple,but when I was looking at your original message was showing 0 replies and I kept posting again and again.
  • Patrusha
    Patrusha Member Posts: 487
    Glad that part is behind you Cheryl and that your little one is making the adjustment. Good news that you were able to come away without a plastic appendage! Yeah! Now you can concentrate on getting up your strength to fight the beast to the end! You have some grandkids in your future that you need to meet. Hugs.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Cheryl,
    I KNEW everything would go well...you have such a fighting spirit! Isn't it grand to be home? What a warm word, home.....
    We will always be here for you, my dear...thru chemo, and all the aches and pains...

Whenever you feel a little down, which you will more than likely, visualize those grandkids!!! (I know, can't even think that far with your two little ones...but it happens in a flash!).
    I am learning about visualization, and something called the spirit of intention...VERY interesting stuff! Maybe that is why I am still alive and kickin after the 37% survival rate I was given on my rectal cancer....

Hugs, Kathi
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Congratulations on this big success! I am happy for you. You have great attitude and please keep it. And you will be at your granchildren weddings!

God Bless, Eleonora
  • pepperdog
    pepperdog Member Posts: 96
    Congrats Cheryl!!! Keep us posted on your post operative progress.
    Pepperdog
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Hi Cheryl,

Congratulations on your sucessful surgery. You pegged the right term..."whirlwind!" Everthing happens quickly. Before you know it, you will look back at this time in your life as a memory that made you stronger.

Please keep us posted on your progress and your plan for chemo.

Hugs,

Kay
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Congrats! I had surgery Friday the 1st and got home thursday the 7th. 1 of 21 nodes but at least 1 liver met. I have two kids as well. 47 years old in CA. I meet oncologist next week. They will go ove rthe PET scan. I'm eally scared about those results. I get strength knowing others have gone through this.I want my grandkids to mett yours and live to see it as well.
    Best and blessings
    Chip