Remission?

pray
pray Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Has anyone with Stage 4 Small Cell Lung Cancer gone into remission?

If so, for how long? Did it come back?

Has anyone been cured or cancer free from stage 4 SCLC?

Comments

• mom101
    mom101 Member Posts: 9
    I hope so pray, and I'm praying along with you. That's the diagnoses for my daughter...she's only 18..nonsmoker. I'm totally overwhelmed by it. Going to get a second opinion in Toronto in the next week or two. She's only been dx/d since the end of june...been through 2 rounds of chemo already. The lung tumor has shrunk 50% so far...but they say it will recurr...kind of takes away from the happiness of it. What's your situation?
  • pray
    Wow, 18 years old! It amazes me how this cancer can effect anyone!! My father was diagnosted in May 2006. He has a tumor in his lung with mets in his liver and a little in his rib area on his bones. He just finished his 3rd round of chemo. His PET scan showed his 6cm tumor in his lung shrunk about 1cm and no change in the others. My family and I live and hope and prayer. This has devestated my family and I have been crying almost everyday since we found out. My father is the world to me, I am single, 30 years old and very close to my father. I beg God everyday not to take him. We know the prognosis is poor, but we hope my father can beat the odds. I have read about some people going into remission and remaining that way. Knowing it may come back, at least it gives them more years to life.

Your daughter is on my prayers. I would love to hear her progress. We got a second opinion too. We went to New York City but the doctor said he wouldn't change the protocol he was already receiving.

God bless!!!
  • reinstones1
    reinstones1 Member Posts: 92
    I heard something comforting in church today-- something I KNOW, but of which I constantly need to be reminded. . .

"A doctor hands out a diagnosis, but only GOD knows the PROGNOSIS."

Keep the faith.
  • AJL
    AJL Member Posts: 13
    Hi Pray,
    I was diagnosis with Small Cell Lung Cancer on Oct. 2001. It was a size of a grape fruit. Round 1 I did chemo/radiation for 6 month. My cancer came back 4 month after the treatment was over. My oncologist told me it was incurable and advised me to start another round of chemo treatment to control the growth of the cancer. The second treatment worked, the tumor shank and remain dormant ever since. So this Oct. will be my Fifth years living with this cancer.
    There is always hope. We are living proof that everybody can be a cancer survivor.

Take care
  • pray
    Thank you AJL for your story. I pray for some kind of miracle every day that my father and others will get better. I hope my father gets out of this horrible cancer. I will be happy to share your story with him. It encourages him to get better and stay strong!! Thank you, Thank you!!
  • karenlee3sons
    karenlee3sons Member Posts: 35
    pray said:

Thank you AJL for your story. I pray for some kind of miracle every day that my father and others will get better. I hope my father gets out of this horrible cancer. I will be happy to share your story with him. It encourages him to get better and stay strong!! Thank you, Thank you!!

I had stage 4 and had a lobectomy, chemo and radiation. In November it will be 8 years and no recurrence at all. NEVER give up hope and always be positive. I am proof you can survive lung cancer and live a productive, happy life!!
  • kaitek
    kaitek Member Posts: 156 Member

I had stage 4 and had a lobectomy, chemo and radiation. In November it will be 8 years and no recurrence at all. NEVER give up hope and always be positive. I am proof you can survive lung cancer and live a productive, happy life!!

Congratulations to all the survivors!! You all are inspiring for those who are in the midst of battling cancer and those of us who take care of those lung cancer patients.
  • pray
    Karenlee3sons-
    I am happy to hear your story. The doctors told my father that surger is not possible for stage 4. Can you explain your situaion? I wanted the doctors to do surgery too and they said it wasn't possible.
  • karenlee3sons
    karenlee3sons Member Posts: 35
    pray said:

Karenlee3sons-
    I am happy to hear your story. The doctors told my father that surger is not possible for stage 4. Can you explain your situaion? I wanted the doctors to do surgery too and they said it wasn't possible.

No one ever said you can'tto me. My doctors asked if I wanted the surgery and I said yes. Wanted the tumor out. My pet scan showed cancer in other areas but after chemo and radiation it has never recurred. It can and does happen!!! I am not at all religious, but I believe in positive thinking and feel it affects your body. Hang in there. Go for a second or even a third opinion if you are not pleased with your doctors attitudes.
  • pray

No one ever said you can'tto me. My doctors asked if I wanted the surgery and I said yes. Wanted the tumor out. My pet scan showed cancer in other areas but after chemo and radiation it has never recurred. It can and does happen!!! I am not at all religious, but I believe in positive thinking and feel it affects your body. Hang in there. Go for a second or even a third opinion if you are not pleased with your doctors attitudes.

We did go for a second opinion in NYC and they said surgery is not possible because it had spread to the liver.
    I wish they could cut the tumor out of his lung and hopefully shrink his tumors to nothing in his liver. Wish it was that easy!!
    Did you have stage 4 SCLC too? I don't know if I can ask, but where did you get your treatment?
  • cuddles2
    cuddles2 Member Posts: 3
    AJL said:

Hi Pray,
    I was diagnosis with Small Cell Lung Cancer on Oct. 2001. It was a size of a grape fruit. Round 1 I did chemo/radiation for 6 month. My cancer came back 4 month after the treatment was over. My oncologist told me it was incurable and advised me to start another round of chemo treatment to control the growth of the cancer. The second treatment worked, the tumor shank and remain dormant ever since. So this Oct. will be my Fifth years living with this cancer.
    There is always hope. We are living proof that everybody can be a cancer survivor.

Take care

Hi , so pleased you are doing so well. It gives me hope. In 99 I had a stent put in my heartbecause of a heart attack. In 2005 they told me I had sccancerand about ayear and a half to live. He said give or take. My time will be up in Dec. Since than I had to have surgery on my aorta .I made a poor recovery and had to go to ER twice and hospitalize once again to recover. June I went in with Pneumonia I am so tired all the time. Last April I was told that it got smaller from 8 to 3. And they are not sure if the three is Cancer or scar tissue. I am losing my words and thoughts and brain power. I think it's from the Chemo and/ or Radition. Thanks for listening. Cuddles