Lung cancer remission with issues

mjsouth
mjsouth Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Almost a year ago in Sept. I was diagnosed with nsclc IIIb. I had very agressive chemo and radiation. The radiation was 37 treatments and I can't ever have any more radiation. But I can have more chemo if I need it. Here's my problem, I have horrific rib, sternum, and left sided chest pain that goes clear thru my body. All my scans are clear now which is very good but what's all this pain about. If I could find out that it's just part of the package I can start dealing with it. I actually passed out once from the shoulder pain. Anyone had the same problem? It would really help me to know so I can start adjusting to it, or wait for it to go away. Not knowing is making it hard for me to get on with my life and of course the intense pain keeps me down. Thanks to all of you

Comments

• Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi. I'm a five year nsclc, 3a survivor. I had aggressive chemo and 55 radiation treatments, plus surgery to remove the upper lobe of my right lung. I am pain free, as relates to the radiation and surgery. I think that you should see a doctor, and find out, through x-rays, scans, or whatever it takes, what the problem is. You shouldn't be in such pain. There is, obviously, a reason for the pain, and I wouldn't let up on the doctors until you have an answer. Also, I doubt very much if this is a "live with it" situation. Keep pushing until you have an answer AND relief from the pain. If all else fails, there are pain management clinics that do an awsome job of pain relief. Good luck. Keep us posted.
  • kaitek
    kaitek Member Posts: 156 Member

Hi. I'm a five year nsclc, 3a survivor. I had aggressive chemo and 55 radiation treatments, plus surgery to remove the upper lobe of my right lung. I am pain free, as relates to the radiation and surgery. I think that you should see a doctor, and find out, through x-rays, scans, or whatever it takes, what the problem is. You shouldn't be in such pain. There is, obviously, a reason for the pain, and I wouldn't let up on the doctors until you have an answer. Also, I doubt very much if this is a "live with it" situation. Keep pushing until you have an answer AND relief from the pain. If all else fails, there are pain management clinics that do an awsome job of pain relief. Good luck. Keep us posted.

I agree with Plymouthean that you should let your doctor know about your pain issues to be sure they don't indicate serious problems.

Now, of course, you should rely on your doctor most of all, but offhand I would think that acupuncture could be a good option for you to manage the pain. Acupuncture has no major side effects and is non-invasive. Even if it has placebo effectiveness, it doesn't hurt to try acupuncture to see if it may work for you. I would try that before relying on hardcore pain medications.

I had planned on supplementing my mother's chemo treatment with acupuncture to deal with nausea, but she's been coping with chemo very well. Acupuncture will still be part of the safety net.