Kidney removal surgery

eyes2
eyes2 Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
I had bladder cancer in 2004 had my bladder removed now on June 26 have to have my left ureter and left kidney removed due to cancer tumors. I am very nervous about having the surgery and only one kidney. I heard it is a painful operation. Does anyone have any suggestions to get through the surgery so I can fight this monster Cancer.

Comments

• Chicago
    Chicago Member Posts: 73 Member
    Actually, the surgery isn't too bad if you have the kidney removed laproscopically. And you shouldn't have much problem either if you can tolerate the good narcotic painkillers.
  • wjm1961
    wjm1961 Member Posts: 11
    Hi eyes,

I had a partial nephrectomy in 2004 that was done open. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. The pain killers helped but by time I went home found I only needed them at night to help me get a good nights sleep. In Dec of 05 I had a uereter resection which was also done open and this although more painful was not bad either.

I wish you all the best in your upcoming surgery. I am sure that everything will work out fine.
  • hyssop
    hyssop Member Posts: 3
    My husband just had a radical nephrectomy and is doing well. Determination really got him through because a lesser attitude would have probably killed him as the surgery was 12 hours, 3 groups of surgeons, and just awesome. He was not breathing on his own. If it hadn't been for God and 38 states praying for us, we'd have never made it. I would strongly suggest you get as many churches through relatives and friends pray. Tapping into the spirit of God is life. My husband also has metastases in lungs and is going on Nexavar after the interferon did nothing. I know a 5 year survivor of a serious cancer and he did it by daily Bible study, taking his med as long as he could, prayer from every possible corner. A beat-it attitude seems to be extremely necessary.
  • cjminkmaven
    cjminkmaven Member Posts: 1
    I had my left Kidney out May 2 2006, It wasn't too bad. When they say OK we are going to get u up now, U wonder OMG how, But I did it. I went back to work 4 weeks later. Good Luck. Were all in this together.
    Hugs, Cindy
  • lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    Had radical nephrectomy 5 years ago and yes, it is painful. However, they treat your pain very aggressively to keep you comfortable after. I was in hospital for 7 days (had a little temp for a few days) - and did take the full 6 weeks off work. Glad I did. The biggest hurdle for me was regaining strength. Seemed to take forever, but the body has been put through a major shock and needs to recover. As for having just one kidney - works fine! Just don't over indulge regularly on protein as that's hard to break down. Stay positive, share your fear with your friends and family and let them support you through it. And yes, prayer!
  • KCFighter
    KCFighter Member Posts: 50
    I had a total laparoscopic nephrectomy March 2nd. If you can find a surgeon you trust to do laparoscopic surgery, that is MUCH easier to recover from. I'd choose a total nephrectomy over partial. My doc convinced me to allow him to try for partial & cut into positive margin...allowing opportunity for an otherwise totally encapsulated tumor to let cancer cells escape. He ended up taking the entire kidney during the same surgery but I'm still not over the worry. The mental part was much tougher for me than the physical. I was scared & still am but I'm getting better both physically & mentally. I was not able to do much the 1st 2 months although I did go back to work after just 4 weeks. Took a trip to Maui at the 2 month mark...snorkeled, had fun, forgot (sort of) about my worries & that did wonders. After that, my recovery seems to have been much quicker. It's almost 4 months since surgery & last weekend I did a 10 mile bike ride and a 7 mile hike. So...you'll be okay even if you don't feel like it initially. I hope this kicks it for you. Good luck & check back to let us know how it goes.
  • beijing
    beijing Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to chime in so late but I just found this forum. I had my right kidney removed almost 2 years ago and I was up and walking the next day. I went home 3 days later, went to work 2 weeks after that and went skiing 3 months after that. My doc told me that I would have pain for about the next year and that I would tire more easily. he also told me that I couldn't hurt myself by gatting back to normal and that the more I exercised the better I would be. So with that said, walk as much as you can. Get out of bed and force yourself to get out. Sure, you will be tired but you will recoupe much faster.

Good luck

PS. It is almost 2 years later, and I still hurt on the side of the surgery. Nothing to slow me down. I was 54 when I had my cancer. I am still cancer free