AGE AT DIAGNOSIS

Comments

• andyc56
    andyc56 Member Posts: 42
    Wife diagnosed stage IIIC at age 45. Surgery Oct. 2004. Had annual followup CT scan today, and we are holding our breaths until Thursday's visit to oncologist.

Her father was diagnosed Stage II at age 53. Doing fine 20 years later.

Our daughter has already been scoped at age 23, and 19-year-old son is not far behind.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    THANK YOU ALL for your responses, and, Emily...you are such a dear for starting this! I will keep fighting till my last breath...any misdiagnosed case is REDICULOUS if the doctor wasn't looking for crc from the start...and, picture this:
    Little me...in a room full of health providers, scolding them for not looking at US, the survivors, instead of some statistics. The gal from the California Tumor Registry was there, and when she said that "cases below 50, although tragic, are not a significant number". MAN, did I get HOT at that...ESPECIALLY since her figures were from 2003!!!!!
    Hugs to all,
    big mouth Kathi
  • dash4
    dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
    My husband was diagnosed Stage IV with liver mets at 56...only symptom was severe back pain-he slept in a recliner -unable to lay down at nite when pain would be at its worse-took them 3 months of testing to diagnose....still has severe pain,but it is managed with medication-no one can understand why he still has the pain.
    Dash
  • livin
    livin Member Posts: 318 Member
    Hi, I was dx with breast cancer at 44 years old Colon Cancer stage 3-2 pos nodes at 46 years old. Doctor said I could have had the colon cancer for 10 years prior large tumor. Then at the ripe old age of 49 years old Colon Cancer that metast. to my liver.
  • DeborahHG
    DeborahHG Member Posts: 2
    My husband was diagnosed at age 34, Stage IV one liver met.
  • Nolelovr
    Nolelovr Member Posts: 12
    Hey,
    I was dx'd at age 57 in April of this year. Polyp was over 2 1/2 inches..no real symptoms. Had a right hemi 4-21-06, staged IA.
    Joyce
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    I was 31 years old when I was diagnosed. Like others they believed that my polyp had been there for 10 years or so......
    I was stage III when diagnosed but later found to have mets to liver and lungs. I am 36 years old now!
  • foxy
    foxy Member Posts: 188 Member
    Diagnosed at 43 years, hemicolectomy and resection of one large liver met-- stage 1V. That was in 1993, still NED today.
  • brianm
    brianm Member Posts: 16
    Hi Emily,
    My hubby was 51 when dx stage4 (rectal tumour and liver mets) no family history, his 10 siblings have since had colonoscopys and 3 of them had polyps.
    Interesting post ,
    jackie.
  • finner
    finner Member Posts: 230 Member
    brianm said:

Hi Emily,
    My hubby was 51 when dx stage4 (rectal tumour and liver mets) no family history, his 10 siblings have since had colonoscopys and 3 of them had polyps.
    Interesting post ,
    jackie.

Hi
    Diagnosed in oct 2004, stage 4. Age at dx 44. Father had stage 1 cancer way back, but had colostemy, no chemo, lived for a further 20 years, never had recurrence.
  • goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    1 month shy of 47, diagnosed with stage 3. Tumor was huge, so was probably there for a while, 5-10 years.
    Age 48 when i was told it had progressed to Stage 4 despite chemo/radiation, surgery, and more chemo.
    Mary
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    Diagnosed at age 40 stage 3c with 10 positive lymph nodes. My Dr felt it was also there 5-10 years.

I have 7 siblings that also went for colonoscopys and 4 of them had polyps.

Lisa Rose
  • tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767
    Hey Granola momma!

I think we should all copy this thread and post it all over the world!!!!

Stage 3 Rectal CA diagnosed March 2004 at age 42. Had a colonoscopy 3 years prior ( routine- dad had colon CA at age 65 ) which showed nothing. So, either he missed it or it was a very agressive tumor.( more likely).

NED coming up on 2 years.. soon...really soon.

My 3 girls will be in the doc's office in their early 20's.

Barb ( who hates this disease )
  • drmrgirl47
    drmrgirl47 Member Posts: 129
    Diagnosed at with rectal cancer 56. No symptoms except for some blood in stool. Went to doctor within 2 months and he said must have growing for 5 years. Stage 3. NED for 2 years 5 months. Thank God. Peace, Annette
  • littlejulie
    littlejulie Member Posts: 311

Diagnosed at with rectal cancer 56. No symptoms except for some blood in stool. Went to doctor within 2 months and he said must have growing for 5 years. Stage 3. NED for 2 years 5 months. Thank God. Peace, Annette

My mom was 55 when diagnosed in 2004. Her brother died of the same cancer in 2000. He was diagnosed at 53. Because of my uncle she had a colonoscopy at 50 years old and no polyps were found so they told her to come back in 5 years. She went 5 years later and her first polyp turned into Stage 3 rectal cancer. Six months before her colonoscopy she did start having symptoms. Urgency to go to the washroom and lower abdominal pains.

Thankfully my Mom is approaching her 2 year anniversary of NED on July 8th.
  • Btrcup
    Btrcup Member Posts: 286
    Scott was diagnosed at age 42. Doc said it's been growing for approx 10 years. I just realized a couple of days ago that when Scott and I got married on 11/18/95, the tumor was already starting :-(

Linda
  • terril
    terril Member Posts: 296
    Hi!!
    Diagnosed at age 52. Signet ring cell in cecum. 2 1/2 cm. Had off and on symtoms of IBS for 15 years. Nothing really bad. Tumor spread to ovaries, tubes, and uterus. The cancer was discovered by accident. I was having heavy periods. By ultra sound they saw masses on my ovaries. They thought I had ovarian cancer. Hysterectomy was done. It took them 3 weeks to determine I had colon cancer. I had severe pain in the cecum area in the late 1980's. Elevated white count. Nothing was done. My guess this cancer has been in me for 10-12 years. Recurrence this past December with two small tumors in my pelvic area. Inoperable. I am stage 4. My granmother was dxes at age 84 with colon cancer. That was in in 1983. This disease makes me sad and angry. But I am alive and kickin!!!
  • nana98
    nana98 Member Posts: 31
    Hi...
    Age 47 when diagnosed... Had IBS symptoms (at least I thought that what it was) for approximately 15 years.. Had bleeding and immediately called Gastro. Dr. He felt that nothing was wrong. Told me since I was close enough to 50 to go ahead and make colonoscopy appointment, but no need to hurry since no family history of colon/rectal cancer... Felt something was wrong so took the next available appointment... Sure enough woke up with the Dr., nurse and my husband staring at me... I knew right then that I had CANCER... Went through CT scans, ultra sounds and LOTS of blook work... Diagnosis was Stage III B, but they can't be sure until surgery.. Went through radiation/chemo and surgery is scheduled for 7/7 and chemo after that...But, I am doing well and my two daughters will be getting tested early...I will make sure of that... Father and Mother just had first colonoscopy after I was diagnosed.. Both are strong and healthy...
    Karen
  • themis01
    themis01 Member Posts: 167
    My mom was 61 years old. She had NO symptoms and had been getting flex sig tests regularily. She had one small flat polyp with a small amount of cancer. Six months later she had hundreds of implants in her abdomen and diagphram area and over 20 tumors on her liver. ): Fought like hell but none of the treatments stopped it. Passed away at age 62.