can someone help?

SockerAngel
SockerAngel Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
hi. im new to this site but ive been lookin for someone to help me. im 19 and my bf(who's 22) was diagnosed with lung cancer back in february. hes been goin thru chemo and radiation since feb 28. well, not chemo the last few weeks because the doc wont give it to him unless he gets back over 120 lbs. i dont kno how to help him. i try to b optimistic and tell him it will all work itself out. but its gettin hard. he told me today that there are signs its spreading to his other lung and the doc isnt optimistic about it not speadin to other organs and into his bones, especially his back. i dont kno wat to do. to make things even more complicated its a long distance relationship...im in ND and he lives in NYC. i havnt had to deal with anything like this before in my family. if someone could give me ideas i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Comments

• ernrol
    ernrol Member Posts: 90
    I thought that you might be interested in my story and some of the things I am doing to beat my cancer. You may want your brother to read it. He is a lot younger than I and may even respond better. He has to believe that he can be cured and needs a doctor that thinks he can cure him. You can type ernrol in the search box at top of screen or type LIFE IS GREAT in the phrase word box of the personnel web search. If you have any questions send me a message.
    Ernie
  • SockerAngel
    sorry. im used to being on msn. by 'bf' i meant my boyfriend, not brother. sorry again. but thanks for the suggestions. im tryin to get him to check out this site. ill show him your story.
    8965 Member Posts: 34
    Greetings

When my loved one was diagnosed and was fighting lung cancer, I asked for suggestions too. The one I heard the most was....Talk to him about things he likes and enjoys. The cancer is important to talk about but sometimes it consumes us. I talked about fishing, vacations, what was on TV, anything to get his mind off the cancer even if it were for a moment. Sometimes just sitting there with him was the best medicine. It was silent but a comfortable silence. Good luck and many prayers with you and your boyfriend...this site is amazing! Lots of kind souls reside here.
    Take care
    Christine
  • SteveG.
    SteveG. Member Posts: 16
    8965 said:

Greetings

When my loved one was diagnosed and was fighting lung cancer, I asked for suggestions too. The one I heard the most was....Talk to him about things he likes and enjoys. The cancer is important to talk about but sometimes it consumes us. I talked about fishing, vacations, what was on TV, anything to get his mind off the cancer even if it were for a moment. Sometimes just sitting there with him was the best medicine. It was silent but a comfortable silence. Good luck and many prayers with you and your boyfriend...this site is amazing! Lots of kind souls reside here.
    Take care
    Christine

We know how hard it is to stay positive. Christine is right, get him talking about anything that he likes, anything, actually, that gets him interested. laughing, even angry. Don't let him sink into despair, or worse, apathy. Get him to come here, and maybe even into the chat rooms here. Many, MANY great and good people here who will offer whatever they can to help!
  • SockerAngel
    SteveG. said:

We know how hard it is to stay positive. Christine is right, get him talking about anything that he likes, anything, actually, that gets him interested. laughing, even angry. Don't let him sink into despair, or worse, apathy. Get him to come here, and maybe even into the chat rooms here. Many, MANY great and good people here who will offer whatever they can to help!

i try my best to keep him talkin bout stuff he likes. and its easy to get him angry...i just hav to mention that i want to come visit him. thats a bit of a sore spot between us rite now. thanks for all ur guys' help.