Desperate for info on cervical cancer

Hi there!! My name is heather, i am 21 years old and have been recently diagnosed with cervical cancer.. Just wondering if any can give me some heads up on what to expect in the first stage and if I should be doing anything in the meantime.. PLEASE HELP ME!!

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • mstarrick
    mstarrick Member Posts: 5
    Hi Heather. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in Stage I B2 . Do you have any specific questions I can answer?
  • cassandra25
    cassandra25 Member Posts: 1
    hello my names cassie i am 25 years old i have cervical cancer my self. my first stages were lower abdamen cramps seckend stage was my utrise felt like it was going to fall out third was my kidneys was hurting and im still going thrue it u might want to go get something done about it soon before it gets bad.
  • Novgirl0173
    Novgirl0173 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Heather, In Nov 2005 I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer 1A1 and in Dec I had a total hysterectomy to remove it all! I had NO symptoms at all! I simply went to my Dr for a pap after not having one in 7 years adn he referred me right away to a Ocn/Gyn where this Dr redone the pap adn again there was questions. Later a Cold Cone procedure was done (1st surgery, it confirmed what the Dr thought CANCER! I have to say this if you should need the surgery, please know that the waiting is the worst part! The surgery isnt realy that bad! The waiting is what drove me nuts..LOL! You will be fine! Best wishes, Susan
  • xtinaw
    xtinaw Member Posts: 22
    Hi Heather. I'm a 4 year cervical cancer survivor. My email address is rwilson002@comcast.net If I can help you, let me know. I'd be happy to share any experiences with you. Christina
  • joygmz
    joygmz Member Posts: 2
    First of all, I will say to you...don't be afraid....

You have caught this cancer very early and the stats are in your favor....

Contact the American Cancer Society, they have an excellent program in place to get information on cancer, what to expect, what to do prior to and after treatment, etc. Very good resource. Also, ask any question you can think of, even if it sounds stupid. No question is stupid!!!!! If you feel comfortable getting a second opinion, go for it. I did and it made all the difference in the world.....

I was diagnosed with Stage 2B large on 10/22/04. I had a tumor that was 6 cm and could not be removed via surgery. My only option was radiation and chemo. I began my treatment the week of Thanksgiving, 2004. I had a 18 mos old son, 8 yr old daughter, 23 yr old daughter and a husband. I was in treatment for about 8-10 weeks. I had radiation Mon-Fri. every day and chemo on Mondays. It was a very hard and difficult road. I was severely anemic at the start and had to be hospitalized twice to receive blood transfusions. I threw up more times than I would like to remember, but my wonderful doctors at Lakeland Cancer Center got me on the drug Emend and I stopped throwing up and was able to complete my treatment on Jan. 15, 2005.

I have been cancer free since Feb., 2006 and have gained back the weight (and then some) that I lost and gained back the energy and gained back the hope that was taken when I was diagnosed.

The only advice I can give is to gather the biggest support group you can, if you can't then let me know and I will be your biggest cheerleader. Also, maintain a positive attitude and listen to your heart. You can beat this and become a survivor.

Best of everything to you and my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Joyce Gomez
    Lakeland, FL

joygmz@yahoo.com
  • showmegal
    showmegal Member Posts: 10

Hi Heather, In Nov 2005 I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer 1A1 and in Dec I had a total hysterectomy to remove it all! I had NO symptoms at all! I simply went to my Dr for a pap after not having one in 7 years adn he referred me right away to a Ocn/Gyn where this Dr redone the pap adn again there was questions. Later a Cold Cone procedure was done (1st surgery, it confirmed what the Dr thought CANCER! I have to say this if you should need the surgery, please know that the waiting is the worst part! The surgery isnt realy that bad! The waiting is what drove me nuts..LOL! You will be fine! Best wishes, Susan

Like Novgirl, I had not had a regular pap smear for more that 7-8 years. I was diagnosed with stage 1 cervical cancer; and on Nov.7th of this year, underwent a radical hysterectomy. I was very fortunate that they got all my cancer with the surgery and my biopsies came back negative. I don't have to go through chemo or radiation. My surgery went great...no complications or post-op infections. My recovery has been uneventful and my incision has healed quickly. I agree, too, that the waiting was the worst part....my mind kept imagining the worst-case scenerios, but I'm so grateful that I had such a good outcome.
    The most important thing I can tell all women everywhere is to have REGULAR pap smears!!!! I was very lucky....my ignorance could have resulted in a much worse outcome!!!
    Good luck and best wishes to you all. Pat