My Dad

Mozzmo
Mozzmo Member Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
It's been a long time since I posted here. That's a good thing since it means my dad has been doing okay. Unfortunately about 6 weeks ago they placed my dad into hospice care. So there really are no more options for him. I have appreciated the responses and information from those on here. If anyone ever gets to "limited choices" I would suggest what my dad did. They gave him a radio-isotope injection (forgot the technical name). It doesn't prolong life but he's had a reduction in pain. Given his cancer is throughout his spine and pelvis the reduction of pain is critical for him at this time. The injection DOES give relief!!! This disease is so hard on those that have it, but it's also hard on those who support and caregive. Having a site like this offers some solace..... Thanks everyone.

David

Comments

• Willx
    Willx Member Posts: 41
    David, you are no doubt a good and loving son and your Father is lucky to have you. I am almost 8 years post-op for PCa and doing well. Your Dad no doubt greatly appreciates the time and attention that you give him. Continue to be there for him in the days and months ahead.
  • mbeavers
    mbeavers Member Posts: 28
    David,

Very sorry to hear about your father. I know how much pain he is enduring. I had three vertabrae treated with radiation and have had great pain relief. If I may ask how did the cancer progress in your fathers case? Spine or pelvis first,
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

M Beavers. I had posted the question listed before your posting.
  • Mozzmo
    mbeavers said:

David,

Very sorry to hear about your father. I know how much pain he is enduring. I had three vertabrae treated with radiation and have had great pain relief. If I may ask how did the cancer progress in your fathers case? Spine or pelvis first,
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

M Beavers. I had posted the question listed before your posting.

M Beavers,

Thanks for the reply. My Dad's cancer progressed by infiltrating most of his spine before spreading to the pelvis. He recently has had some cognitive irregularities but both a CT Scan and a MRI showed negative for mets. Cancer is just predictably UNPREDICTABLE. He's had all sorts of treatments. Really been through a lot. He's at the point that he just wants to be as comfortable as possible.
    Be Well,
    David
  • TomBk
    TomBk Member Posts: 58
    David,
    I am so very sorry for this turn of events. each one of us feels the loss when we hear of it and I am sure every man who has ever been on this site would share with you in the loss you will experience. May God be with you and help you to get through this. Every life is precious. But i want to say that those of us who have had cancer or do have cancer would want such a son as you to be by our side at such a time. I am sure your dad is proud to have been your father and you may never know how very much your support has meant to him. I am grateful that one man has had friends and family especially you, his son, to help him get through all of this. thanks for the suggestion about the injection. once we have had cancer there are no absolute guarantees that it will not raise its ugly head again. Fortunately so much progress has been made so alot fewer lives are being lost. I wish you well, David, and please have your PSA checked so you will have all the advance warning you need and can prevent the same outcome for you.
  • Mozzmo
    TomBk said:

David,
    I am so very sorry for this turn of events. each one of us feels the loss when we hear of it and I am sure every man who has ever been on this site would share with you in the loss you will experience. May God be with you and help you to get through this. Every life is precious. But i want to say that those of us who have had cancer or do have cancer would want such a son as you to be by our side at such a time. I am sure your dad is proud to have been your father and you may never know how very much your support has meant to him. I am grateful that one man has had friends and family especially you, his son, to help him get through all of this. thanks for the suggestion about the injection. once we have had cancer there are no absolute guarantees that it will not raise its ugly head again. Fortunately so much progress has been made so alot fewer lives are being lost. I wish you well, David, and please have your PSA checked so you will have all the advance warning you need and can prevent the same outcome for you.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I really do recommend the injection, it has GREATLY reduced my father's discomfort. This is a very difficult time. This website has been a blessing for me on a few fronts. Of course, given my father's history I get regular PSA's. I am also a kidney cancer survivor so I all too well understand the journey a cancer diagnosis invokes. Thanks to all for their thoughts and prayers.

Peace,
    David