CT results... hmmmm

jana11
jana11 Member Posts: 705
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, got the results. Shows the tumors have again regressed slightly without any new tumors. We asked the onc what prognosis is without surgery, he said probably 1 year. 2 years is hopeful. UGH!!!!!!!

Then we went to talk to the surgeon. He said there is no research in my situation. The only reason they are willing to do surgery is because I am in such good health. So, after getting the pep talk from the oncologist, we signed up for surgery.

My onc said he is just being honest and doesn't sugar coat. He then said the past has come up with new drugs, and any time opens that option.

I am still going to Sloan Kettering next week to get a second opinion.

I am scheduled for a left lung wedge resection (thoracotomy) on Feb 21st. Then, 3-4 weeks later I will have the entire right lung hacked out. Super gulp.

Even with a slight chance of cure, which exists, the surgery is worthwhile. It increases my chances of living greater than 5 yrs. Yep, at 35 yrs old - I am striving to live > 5 yrs. I can't believe this lot I have been dealt. Man this sucks.

Good news: NO CHEMO FOR MONTHS! I am really sick of chemo and am looking forward to the break.

Well, that's my newest chapter. I wish everyone else well. Elaine, your hubby should be getting results soon. May you all have a meeting with NED... soon.

jana

Comments

• Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Hi Jana - your situation does "suck", but it also sounds like there is hope with this very "daunting" surgery. Also, you are doing the right thing by getting a second opinion at a good cancer center. I wish you all the best and if you end up having the surgeries, I'll be here sending you good vibes.

P.S. No chemo is wonderful. I'm on a chemo break now, since 11/28 and I am finally feeling great. So far the cancer hasn't made me sick, only the treatment!

Betsy
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Jana,
    I'm glad you have no new tumors but the prognosis sucks. I'm a little surprised he said that to you. It certainly was not sugar coated. I think it may be good to get a 2nd opinion at SK, My Onc is Nancy Kemeny. I'm in there every Monday. I'm sending healing thoughts to you and will send prayers too.
    -phil
  • jenalynet
    jenalynet Member Posts: 361 Member
    I am glad that you are getting a second opinion ..I will keep you in my thoughts..I wish you good results in the future with the surgeries..Audrey
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Well Jana honey,

Once again I see some really good news from your tests results. I look forward to the second opinion as I'm sure you do too.

NOW, I have to fuss a little. You have some time off of chemo and getting second opinions, when are you going to start really taking care of you??? You know what I mean!!!!! Let me know how I can help you. It is not too late and honey, what have you got to lose???????

Lisa P.
  • rthornton
    rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
    Jana, I guess it's an interesting mix of news, but I also do not like reading that prognosis. I don't even know how to adequately convey how much I hope that something good happens from your trip to Sloan Kettering. I really do wish the best for you.

Rodney
  • mambosawa2
    mambosawa2 Member Posts: 1
    rthornton said:

Jana, I guess it's an interesting mix of news, but I also do not like reading that prognosis. I don't even know how to adequately convey how much I hope that something good happens from your trip to Sloan Kettering. I really do wish the best for you.

Rodney

Jana, I also hope that good things will happen from your trip to Sloan-Kettering. It did for me in 2003. I am still a patient there. I had two surgeries in 2004. My Drs. David P Jaques and Robert J. Downey. Also, Leonard B. Saltz. All are wonderful doctors. God bless you.
    Audrey G.
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    scouty said:

Well Jana honey,

Once again I see some really good news from your tests results. I look forward to the second opinion as I'm sure you do too.

NOW, I have to fuss a little. You have some time off of chemo and getting second opinions, when are you going to start really taking care of you??? You know what I mean!!!!! Let me know how I can help you. It is not too late and honey, what have you got to lose???????

Lisa P.

Jana,

scouty is being waaaay too nice about this.

I won't be:

PLEASE JANA PUT YOURSELF FIRST!!!!

This is your life you are talking about. how important is it that you go to work? You said you don't have time to start juicing until July but honey, you just don't have time to waste. It's not that hard. Just do it!!

As for your lung getting hacked out......I am very sorry you are going through this. Myheart breaks for you.

But take THE BULL BY THE HORNS and make YOURSELF your priority. Please!

Pretty please?

Please listen to scouty. What can it hurt? And you have everything to gain!!

Forget what profession you are for the moment. You don't have to do this for anyone else. Just you.

You have a choice. Make yourself the choice!

CHOOSE YOU!!

ok.

peace, emily who really is bummed that you will lose your lung. :-(
  • goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    Jana,
    That's why i never ask about prognosis. There are some things I don't need to hear. It's not called denial. It's called Hope. Remember there are always people who don't follow the normal course. You will be one of those. Keep your spirits and hope alive. I will be holding you in my thoughts.
    Mary
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Jana,

I am sending you a great big hug. I can't imagine what you are going through. I am glad that you are getting a second opinion.

CANCER SUCKS

Maureen
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Dearest Jana,

Please hug your healing bag and BELIEVE! Believe that you are going to beat the odds and come back to show that oncologist that maybe he should "sugar coat" his opinion....because it is just that...."his opinion!" All of us here, BELIEVE differently!!!

I am so in Scouty's and Emily's corner. I know a lung cancer patient who was sent home to die seven years ago. She began juicing and today is very much alive and well!

My heart breaks for you and your family, but I know that after a couple of days your spirit and your fight will return with a venegance.

Jana, there is an radiologist in Arizona who has lung cancer and was given six months to live a couple of years ago. His website is RedToeNail.org. He has just painted his second toenail red....representing the two years he has lived pasted his prognosis. You may want to check it out or even get in touch with him. He has a wealth of information and resources. He also list the supplements and alternatives that he uses in his battle.

Sending you love and hugs,

Kay
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    Kanort said:

Dearest Jana,

Please hug your healing bag and BELIEVE! Believe that you are going to beat the odds and come back to show that oncologist that maybe he should "sugar coat" his opinion....because it is just that...."his opinion!" All of us here, BELIEVE differently!!!

I am so in Scouty's and Emily's corner. I know a lung cancer patient who was sent home to die seven years ago. She began juicing and today is very much alive and well!

My heart breaks for you and your family, but I know that after a couple of days your spirit and your fight will return with a venegance.

Jana, there is an radiologist in Arizona who has lung cancer and was given six months to live a couple of years ago. His website is RedToeNail.org. He has just painted his second toenail red....representing the two years he has lived pasted his prognosis. You may want to check it out or even get in touch with him. He has a wealth of information and resources. He also list the supplements and alternatives that he uses in his battle.

Sending you love and hugs,

Kay

thanks everyone. I am reading a nutrition book right now. Trying to think about how to change my diet further. Just not sure - it's already pretty healthy!!

I may stop working when the surgery-recovery-surgery begins because I don't want to feel rushed to get back. And that gives me all sorts of time to get preoccupied with my diet and life. My mother-in-law wants me to write a book. Hmm...

Thanks again for all the post. I will be in touch. jana
  • ccartwri
    ccartwri Member Posts: 82
    Jana
    It has taken me all day to write. I was so shocked! I have been crying for hours! I AM SO SORRY THIS IS HAPPENING TO YOU. You are so strong and have such a great attitude. I know you will beat this thing. I just do. Just like I know I will....although I still have short crying fits daily!!! I am eager to hear about your Sloan Kettering opinion. I take it you are probably flying but if you are driving, I would love to meet you if you come through DC. We have a tiny home and my mother in law is living with us, but you could stay on my couch or you and your husband at my sister's in Baltimore. I am so glad no chemo for months. I hate it too. I hate the stupid pump and have to remind myself, it could be worse. I could be an inpatient.
    I too like you feel like I already ate well. But, man, I am juicing and eating organic and trying to be better. And not eat fats or sweets. Very very hard. But this is my life! I sit with my daughter and husband and think, no way in hell, no way I am leaving them.

I am praying for you and sending you all the energy I can.

Love,
    Claudia
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    jana11 said:

thanks everyone. I am reading a nutrition book right now. Trying to think about how to change my diet further. Just not sure - it's already pretty healthy!!

I may stop working when the surgery-recovery-surgery begins because I don't want to feel rushed to get back. And that gives me all sorts of time to get preoccupied with my diet and life. My mother-in-law wants me to write a book. Hmm...

Thanks again for all the post. I will be in touch. jana

hi jana!

A really good INSPIRATIONAL how-she-beat-cancer-and-lived-book is A Cancer Battle Plan by Anne Frahm. I highly recommend it.

Also remember cancer cannot live in an alkaline environment so we may eat really well but still be imbalanced in the acid pH side. Just a thought.

Screw the one year gig. We're growing old girl!!

peace, emily who already has 4 chapters of her book written but was waiting to see how the story unfolded!
  • crazylady
    crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
    Hi Jana,
    It has taken me since yesterday to reply to your post. I haven't been able to find the correct words to express myself. The following is the best that I could come up with, but still feel that it is inadequate.
    I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. You're so right when you say that cancer sucks. I wish there was a cure for all cancer and that no one else would ever have to deal with it!!!!
    I hope that the second opinion offers new options.
    Stay strong and positive!
    I'm wishing you the best and sending positive energy your way!
    Jamie
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Jana,

What a bummer. I was in Houston this past Thursday for my PET/CT scan. I have an appointment with my doctor on the 23rd of this month to let me know what my next step will be, whether it will be radiation or more chemo.

I will be in touch with you. Take care - I am doing my research about juicing and REALLY taking care of myself. What have we got to lose?

Let me know how I can help?

Fondly,

Kerry
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    I am speechless..why a thoracotomy AND hack a lung? Is the one side operable and the other not? I also hold out hope and prayers that SK will have an alternative. I guess we owe it to ourselves to live as long as possible in hopes that a cure will be found. It's just not fair..esp at 35. Meanwhile, listen to emily..nothing to lose there. God Bless, Bud
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    nanuk said:

I am speechless..why a thoracotomy AND hack a lung? Is the one side operable and the other not? I also hold out hope and prayers that SK will have an alternative. I guess we owe it to ourselves to live as long as possible in hopes that a cure will be found. It's just not fair..esp at 35. Meanwhile, listen to emily..nothing to lose there. God Bless, Bud

Jana...I too have taken some time to search for words gal...and it is a very tough ask!I am smugly sitting here NED and with an honest tear in my eye and you are struggling to be so brave....it ain't fair!!!!!!!!!!. You have helped me and so many others and at the same time you are doing the hard miles. So what words have I for you?.mmm.. well, put it this way Jana;
    Would you like to hear my words of support for you in real life?
    It might brighten your day just a little to talk...and if you like..you do all the talkin..'ol kanga can listen too. All yah gotta do is email me your landline number, your nearest large city, the best time(your time...I'll work out the conversion times) and I will make it happen........no pressure gal...it is your choice.We have talked for too long in ink sweetie....time for me tah phone huggie yah!
    If you decide no Jana...that is ok too..you know you have our love and support!
    luv, Ross and Jen

ps....Kerry, Kay, Lisa P, Emily, Baby Lisa, Sue, and Wanda can vouch that I am harmless...lol!
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Hi Jana,

I am new to the site and newly diagnosed so don't have a lot of experience under my belt like everyone else but I would like to send my prayers and hope for good news at SK. Like someone else said you have to keep up hope and not give up. We will all be pulling for you.

Lisa
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    I really feel for you, darling. Can't tell you how much. I hate to be Ms. Pollyanna BUT -- I think it is great you are seeking a second opinion at Sloan-Kettering -- nothing to loose from that. I am so glad you will have no chemo in the forseeable future. Yea!! And, most importantly, remember that >5 could be ANY NUMBER MORE THAN 5. Go for the big numbers!!
    Thinking of you -- sending prayers, best wishes, positive vibes and all good things your way.....
    Love, Tara
  • oneagleswings
    oneagleswings Member Posts: 425 Member
    Hope your second opinion is positive- enjoy the chemo break and think good thoughts with the surgery (it IS good that you can have surgery to give you some chance at a cure (my husbands is inoperable)...
    Take CAre.
    Bev