good news and bad news

8965 Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My dad is about to go through his second round of chemo, they already see that the cancer has started to shrink, thats the good news, the bad news is my dad has a condition called copd and a history of heart problems, his doctors are saying he is very sick he has three major things wrong with him. So on top of the chemo he fights all these other ailments. He is in ICU right now and the doctors tell us that although the cancer is chemo is helping his health is poor. I hate when they give a time line, I hate seeing my dad like this, I feel helpless, I just need some prayers thank you!

Comments

• Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi. I"m a four year survivor of lung cancer. I also have emphysema and congestive heart failure. These conditions made the doctors' job harder, and I guess I suffered more because of them, but the doctors were able to complete treatments and surgery successfully. They were able to treat me in spite of all my ailments. My mother had lung cancer over thirty years ago. It was not easy to see her go through it, and, yes, I also felt the helplessness that you are feeling. I felt that way for my mother, and my wife and son went through it with me. This is probably the time in your life that your faith is being tested most seriously. You asked for prayers, and that tells me that you are a believer. I strongly feel that God does not give us burdens that we can not carry. This is a rough time for your dad and you. Keep a positive attitude that your dad can handle this. Most would say "Be strong". Well, you know what?? If you find, at times, that you want to cry for your dad, you do just that! A few tears never hurt anyone, and in the long run, you may feel better, having relieved some tension. As for the prayers, you have hundreds of us on this website who will pitch in. Best wishes. Ernie
  • crot1998
    crot1998 Member Posts: 67
    Hi there. I agree with Ernie. He has been through the same roller coaster. Pray that your Dad and your family have the strength to get through this. Crying is a good thing. Remember nobody has a crystal ball and regardless of what doctor's say, no one is God and try to stay focussed on the positive so that your Dad can get to the next round of treatment.
    Thank you both for your kindness. I will use all of it. I will cry for my dad, it feels better already to be able to do that. Im so scared. I see him everyday and see how brave he is, and how he keeps hanging on, he is a true hero to me. Thank you I come here for comfort, and everytime I get it. Thank God
  • sugarbears
    sugarbears Member Posts: 3
    God bless you. All I can say is just be strong and make the best of each day with your dad. He is definitely a strong man with the way he is fighting. Make sure to always show him that you love him. That will help you feel less helpless knowing that you are doing all you can.... loving him.
  • crot1998
    Hi there, hoping things are going well. Remember to stay strong and things will get worse before they get better. Keep us updated and you are in our prayers.
    crot1998 said:

Hi there, hoping things are going well. Remember to stay strong and things will get worse before they get better. Keep us updated and you are in our prayers.

my dad is still in the hospital, going on three weeks. He has his second round of chemo and he is very weak, even more so because he has been in a hospital bed for three weeks. They have him doing physical therapy, but he barely can feed himself, not to mention he doesnt eat much, says his throat hurts and Im sure is getting zero nutrition. Nurse said she will give him ensure to make sure he gets some nutrition. He has lost a lot of weight, and I so want him to come home for christmas. His white blood cell count is low, is that normal after chemo? They say it is.
  • crot1998
    8965 said:

my dad is still in the hospital, going on three weeks. He has his second round of chemo and he is very weak, even more so because he has been in a hospital bed for three weeks. They have him doing physical therapy, but he barely can feed himself, not to mention he doesnt eat much, says his throat hurts and Im sure is getting zero nutrition. Nurse said she will give him ensure to make sure he gets some nutrition. He has lost a lot of weight, and I so want him to come home for christmas. His white blood cell count is low, is that normal after chemo? They say it is.

My Dad had the same thing with the sore throat and when he was in the hospital I fed him high calorie puddings, yogurt and anything I can puree at home. I hope he is getting IV nutrition as well. Having low blood cell count is normal 10-15 days post chemo therapy. You really have to do your part in the hospital, I was there for all meals to ensure nutrition. Why is he so weak? He needs to get home and energized. Hoping everything turns out, keep us posted.
    crot1998 said:

My Dad had the same thing with the sore throat and when he was in the hospital I fed him high calorie puddings, yogurt and anything I can puree at home. I hope he is getting IV nutrition as well. Having low blood cell count is normal 10-15 days post chemo therapy. You really have to do your part in the hospital, I was there for all meals to ensure nutrition. Why is he so weak? He needs to get home and energized. Hoping everything turns out, keep us posted.

We talked to the nurses and the Dr. They said that they would start to give him ensure and other substitutes. My dads white blood cells shot up great news. He is so weak because he has bad lungs and a bad heart he has three major things wrong with him, He is such a fighter though. Its hard for us to be there during the day because of work, My siblings and I and our mother all go visit and spend as much time with him as we can. Your right about doing your part in the hospital, wow what a difference it made to speak up, on his behalf. They say once his blood cell count is up to where they want it they will do some therapy and then he can come home. Thats my christmas wish, there was a day I wanted material things for christmas today I just want my dad home!
  • crot1998
    8965 said:

We talked to the nurses and the Dr. They said that they would start to give him ensure and other substitutes. My dads white blood cells shot up great news. He is so weak because he has bad lungs and a bad heart he has three major things wrong with him, He is such a fighter though. Its hard for us to be there during the day because of work, My siblings and I and our mother all go visit and spend as much time with him as we can. Your right about doing your part in the hospital, wow what a difference it made to speak up, on his behalf. They say once his blood cell count is up to where they want it they will do some therapy and then he can come home. Thats my christmas wish, there was a day I wanted material things for christmas today I just want my dad home!

Hi there. Glad to hear someone was listening to you. Make sure they monitor his intake, as a bonus feed him whenever you or a family member can so you see for yourselves what he has eaten. It sounds like he will be home for Christmas and I am sure that is the best present yet. I think this holiday will be difficult for all of us this year. My Dad gets his next round on Tuesday the 20th, this will be number four. This time wasn't so bad but still a lot of weakness and monitoring his eating very closely. Nothing about this is easy, we just pray that next year will be a better year. Good luck with everything and keep us posted.
    crot1998 said:

Hi there. Glad to hear someone was listening to you. Make sure they monitor his intake, as a bonus feed him whenever you or a family member can so you see for yourselves what he has eaten. It sounds like he will be home for Christmas and I am sure that is the best present yet. I think this holiday will be difficult for all of us this year. My Dad gets his next round on Tuesday the 20th, this will be number four. This time wasn't so bad but still a lot of weakness and monitoring his eating very closely. Nothing about this is easy, we just pray that next year will be a better year. Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Best of luck to your dad...and always my prayers. I walked into the hospital yesterday and my dad was sitting up eating and looking well. He has therapy but doesnt get around much besides that. It felt so good not to see him suffer that minute. He actually felt ok, and he hasnt felt that way since November. He is drinking the ensure and eating soup and fruit and that is more than he has tried in weeks so Im so proud of him, he is so brave and strong, not just because he is my dad, but because he truely is fighting this. Many blessings to your dad on the 20 th, he seems like a fighter also.
  • crot1998
    8965 said:

Best of luck to your dad...and always my prayers. I walked into the hospital yesterday and my dad was sitting up eating and looking well. He has therapy but doesnt get around much besides that. It felt so good not to see him suffer that minute. He actually felt ok, and he hasnt felt that way since November. He is drinking the ensure and eating soup and fruit and that is more than he has tried in weeks so Im so proud of him, he is so brave and strong, not just because he is my dad, but because he truely is fighting this. Many blessings to your dad on the 20 th, he seems like a fighter also.

HI there. How are things going with your Dad? My father got admitted to hospital this weekend with low blood counts, he is slowly turning around. I cannot believe how stressful this can be at times. Are you still hanging on?
    crot1998 said:

HI there. How are things going with your Dad? My father got admitted to hospital this weekend with low blood counts, he is slowly turning around. I cannot believe how stressful this can be at times. Are you still hanging on?

Greetings, and happy new year. Im hanging in there, my dad didnt make it home for Christmas but did for New Years, it wasnt so bad making trips to the hospital during the holidays. We live life one day at a time in my family now. His white blood cell count was also very low, dropped down to 40 we were told 4000 is normal healthy person, although my dads wont ever reach that his jumped back up everyday. He was in the hospital for a month and had to go through rehab for physical and occupational therapy before he was released. He still gets it at home, he got home the friday before New Years. He is walking around more and doing more he is still very tired, but has come so far. Im so proud of him and I tell him this all the time. My family and myself are with him all the time so his spirits are pretty good. I know your dad will bounce back. It seems like they are riding similar roller coasters. My dad is an old school irish catholic guy and is tough, his doctor is giving him a few days to rest up and get stronger before the next chemo which he was suppose to get on Tuesday. The stress is out of control sometimes but I made a deal with myself if Im having a bad day dont show dad I am, I have to remain strong for him or he will worry about me, he does anyway. How is everything with you? Hope you and yours stay well!
  • crot1998
    8965 said:

Greetings, and happy new year. Im hanging in there, my dad didnt make it home for Christmas but did for New Years, it wasnt so bad making trips to the hospital during the holidays. We live life one day at a time in my family now. His white blood cell count was also very low, dropped down to 40 we were told 4000 is normal healthy person, although my dads wont ever reach that his jumped back up everyday. He was in the hospital for a month and had to go through rehab for physical and occupational therapy before he was released. He still gets it at home, he got home the friday before New Years. He is walking around more and doing more he is still very tired, but has come so far. Im so proud of him and I tell him this all the time. My family and myself are with him all the time so his spirits are pretty good. I know your dad will bounce back. It seems like they are riding similar roller coasters. My dad is an old school irish catholic guy and is tough, his doctor is giving him a few days to rest up and get stronger before the next chemo which he was suppose to get on Tuesday. The stress is out of control sometimes but I made a deal with myself if Im having a bad day dont show dad I am, I have to remain strong for him or he will worry about me, he does anyway. How is everything with you? Hope you and yours stay well!

I guess I am hanging in there too. The roller coaster is exhausting. My father is in the hospital with low counts and we are expecting him to come home in the next few days. I had a bad day today, a lot of crying. Some days are easier than others, I just love my Dad so much that it kills me to see him going through this. Our lives were so normal before and I miss the old days. I guess I am grieving those days and hoping that they will be back some day. Glad to hear your Dad is home, there is no better feeling in the world. Keep me posted.
    crot1998 said:

I guess I am hanging in there too. The roller coaster is exhausting. My father is in the hospital with low counts and we are expecting him to come home in the next few days. I had a bad day today, a lot of crying. Some days are easier than others, I just love my Dad so much that it kills me to see him going through this. Our lives were so normal before and I miss the old days. I guess I am grieving those days and hoping that they will be back some day. Glad to hear your Dad is home, there is no better feeling in the world. Keep me posted.

I so know those bad days...and they are ok to have, I do relish in the good days though. The times when my dad is upbeat and in good spirits I take that as if he can find it in him to be strong and still live life with cancer I can find it in me to do the same. Right now things are ok and Im gonna ride with that until it changes. I know what you mean about life turning upside down, we are a very close family and this year we couldnt do a lot of family traditions like go get a christmas tree together, go to christmas parties, or even go to breakfast on sunday. That in itself is a transition so we bring all those things to dad and they are different but still feel good. Keep positive and as always your in my thoughts and prayers!