clinical trial pill called Sorafenib??

lizaqr623
lizaqr623 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
Hello everybody,

My father who is age 65 underwent surgery 4 months ago to have his Kidney removed after being diagnosed with stage 4 Kindey Cancer.The cancer has spread to his lungs(2 small spots) and now he was just told to the bottom of his throat.He has been experiencing quite a bit of pain which he was taking Hydrocodone for but the pain has gotten worse within the past 2 weeks.The doctor has now put him on Morphine Sulfate 30 mg's twice a day,and he will start a clinical trial pill called Sorafenib to try and stop the growth of the cancer. Has anyone heard of this new experimental drug? Andhas anyone here been prescribed a morphine pill for pain? That seems to me that should be prescribed for people who are close to the end, but maybe i am wrong.Please,anyone who has any information or advice would be so valuable to me. Take care.
-Liz

Comments

• fandaj
    fandaj Member Posts: 81
    Hi Elizabeth, This is Aunt Arlene. Go back to page 3 of this discussion board to see your original message and mine. On the same page someone is asking about the clinical trial your father will be starting with the same medication. Maybe you can write to them and get some first hand information. Love, Aunt Arlene
  • lizaqr623
    fandaj said:

Hi Elizabeth, This is Aunt Arlene. Go back to page 3 of this discussion board to see your original message and mine. On the same page someone is asking about the clinical trial your father will be starting with the same medication. Maybe you can write to them and get some first hand information. Love, Aunt Arlene

Hi Aunt Arlene, Thanks i sent her an email asking about how she is doing with it,so we will see and i'll let you know what she says.
    Love,Elizabeth
  • bevsbro
    bevsbro Member Posts: 2
    My sister is using sorafenib and has been on it for about 2 1/2 months. She has 4 tumors 2 in the lungs and 2 in the pocket where the kidney was. She had her first scan 3 weeks ago and all the tomors have shrank 20% to 40%. The side effects are sore feet and hands, even a few blisters but all are not that bad and can be managed. Good luck!
  • lizaqr623
    bevsbro said:

My sister is using sorafenib and has been on it for about 2 1/2 months. She has 4 tumors 2 in the lungs and 2 in the pocket where the kidney was. She had her first scan 3 weeks ago and all the tomors have shrank 20% to 40%. The side effects are sore feet and hands, even a few blisters but all are not that bad and can be managed. Good luck!

hello bevsbro,thank you for responding. Very glad to hear your sister is responding well to the medicine. It makes me feel much better about Sorafenib knowing that her experience has been positive. Wish her well and take care.
    -Liz
  • Jimmyb
    Jimmyb Member Posts: 1
    bevsbro said:

I have metestatic renal cell, tumors in my lungs, been through IL2, Avastin, IMRT radiation, and now Sorafenib. IL2 shrunk 2 tumors, but the others grew, Avastin did nothing, radiation shrunk a large tumor next to my spine (thanks to the IMRT Tomotherapy!), now sorafenib has shrunk all remaining tumors 25% - 40%! Been on this for a little over 2 months with almost NO side effects - fatigue, mild mouth sores, mild mild hand sores, lost eyebrows, and that's it. I was diagnosed in Feb 2005. I'm very hopeful about the sorafenib, but if this stops working, the news on SUTENT seems to be even more successful than sorafenib. I think you are on the right track! Good luck!