It's Baaaaack

HisJoy
HisJoy Member Posts: 113
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, by way of background, let me tell you that I was diagnosed with colon cancer in January of 2005, had a right hemicolectomy, and was found to have 5/13 positive lymph nodes. I began FOLFOX chemotherapy with Avastin in February, had to postpone several times due to poor liver function (my liver is still a mess and incredibly swollen) and/or low white count. I completed my 12 treatments of chemo just 2 weeks ago and had my CT scan last week. A new nodule was found.

Today, I saw my surgeon and he is pretty certain that the nodule is cancerous. It's in the lining of my abdomen, so it looks like there will most likely be radiation, surgery, and/or more chemo in my future UNLESS the dumb thing starts shrinking in the next few weeks. We're going to continue with Avastin alone every other week until Nov. 21, when I will have a new CT scan to see what the nodule is doing.

Personally, I don't have much hope that Avastin is all of a sudden going to start working when the nodule (which wasn't there in May for the CT scan) obviously started growing WHILE I was taking Avastin and all kinds of other drugs. It looks like I'm to go through round 2 of the battle against this disease, and SO SOON after I started! Not sure I'm up to it, since I was looking forward SO MUCH to regaining strength, getting over this secondary infection, and starting to get some energy back.

Anyway, not much to be done at this point but wait for the Nov. 21 scan and then decide from there what, if anything, I want to do about this thing. I am 53 years old and raising a special needs teenaged boy (age 16) who has emotional and behavioral issues. I can't imagine having to leave him when he needs me so much, but I'm getting ahead of myself, I guess. One day at a time!

Joyfully,
BB

Comments

• alihamilton
    alihamilton Member Posts: 347 Member
    BB, I am so sorry to hear your news...how discouraging. But you have shown such courage up til now...maybe partly because you are especially needed by your son(?). I am sure when you get used to this latest information, you will gather your strength again to go into battle.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best wishes,

Ali
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    Man alive!! Repeat: one day at a time!!

I am so sorry for all you are going through, and with a special needs son!! Wow. Take it each day at a time.. I am here with you. I just started chemo for a mass involving my entire right lung and a little mass in my left lung. I get an Xray in 2 wks to eval. But, I continue to live my life and base all my treatments on the goal of cure!!!

Please hang in there. As my oncologist said, cure is always an option, but let's take care of this problem first. New drugs are on the horizon.

I pass this along to everyone!! DO NOT LOOSE HOPE!!!!

you will remain in my thoughts. jana
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    I wish you all the best as you begin treatments again. As Jana, said, One day at a time.

Maureen
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    I am so sorry to hear this news, darling. I remember how devasted I was to learn about my recurrence -- I really thought I was "out of the woods" (like you, I was close to 2 years after original surgery).

But, what can you do. Back in the saddle, back into battle. Will be thinking of you as you wait for the results of the next scan and then prepare a plan.

I have received much support and inspiration from you --you are one tough lady.

Sending lots of love,
    Tara
  • livin
    livin Member Posts: 318 Member
    BB, keep the faith I am sorry to hear your news. Please do not give up hope that's all we have. Believe me I know how you feel I've had Cancer 3 times Breast , Colon and Colon Cancer that mets. to my liver, you can only take things one day at a time. You have made it this far and I know God will continue to carry you the rest as he is doing for me. The fight goes on. Never ever give up no matter how many set backs you may recieve. Livin
  • goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    BB,
    I'm sorry to hear your news. I sure can understand how you are feeling. Looking forward to the end of chemo and then getting this kind of news is just not fair. Take this time off chemo to regroup and get healthy. Hoping for the best for you!
    Mary
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Hi BB,

I certainly can understand your anxities over the next plan of treatment. However, maybe by the next scan this nodule will have disappeared or even better may turn out to be nothing. Doctors have certainly been wrong before.

Try and regain your strength so you will have the energy to fight and defeat whatever comes your way.

Thinking of you and your son.

Kay
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Hi BB,

I am so sorry that you have received news that your cancer is possibly spreading. It is so hard to hear -- especially when one is not feeling up to par.
    I am going to go out on limb and ask, or at least suggest, that you take this time until your next CT scan to look through some on-line nutritional info regarding cancer and nutrition as well as detoxing your liver and strengthening your immune system. It isn't Voodoo. It isn't hard. And, most importantly, it will allow you to gain strength if you need another round of chemo. Your liver can be detoxed; it will strengthen your entire system. Our livers were not set up to accept and process heavy metals; I think they have enough to do with a normal, healthy body.....
    It is just a thought. And, Lord knows, we all have our own way of handling our treatments. But my thought is this: If we can get onto this site via the internet, we can Google or Yahoo Search a little for our own behalf. We can read the info presented, check it out for logic and validity, think about what changes we can input, and work on our own care as well as listen to our docs. I am no testimony to years of NED yet, but I do know that when my liver became impacted (and I stopped my chemo), nutrition and supplements brought my liver back into equilibrium. My diet is by no means perfect, but the efforts I am making are paying off.
    It is work a look. I don't think we can lay our fate just in the hands of docs. I wish I could as I adore my surgeon and gastro doc; but I truly know that the day to day care of my body is something which I can impact. I hope I do not sound preachy; and I guess, I write this as much for myself as I do for you because I need the reminder and the motivation.
    All the best to you. - Maura
  • HisJoy
    CAMaura said:

Hi BB,

I am so sorry that you have received news that your cancer is possibly spreading. It is so hard to hear -- especially when one is not feeling up to par.
    I am going to go out on limb and ask, or at least suggest, that you take this time until your next CT scan to look through some on-line nutritional info regarding cancer and nutrition as well as detoxing your liver and strengthening your immune system. It isn't Voodoo. It isn't hard. And, most importantly, it will allow you to gain strength if you need another round of chemo. Your liver can be detoxed; it will strengthen your entire system. Our livers were not set up to accept and process heavy metals; I think they have enough to do with a normal, healthy body.....
    It is just a thought. And, Lord knows, we all have our own way of handling our treatments. But my thought is this: If we can get onto this site via the internet, we can Google or Yahoo Search a little for our own behalf. We can read the info presented, check it out for logic and validity, think about what changes we can input, and work on our own care as well as listen to our docs. I am no testimony to years of NED yet, but I do know that when my liver became impacted (and I stopped my chemo), nutrition and supplements brought my liver back into equilibrium. My diet is by no means perfect, but the efforts I am making are paying off.
    It is work a look. I don't think we can lay our fate just in the hands of docs. I wish I could as I adore my surgeon and gastro doc; but I truly know that the day to day care of my body is something which I can impact. I hope I do not sound preachy; and I guess, I write this as much for myself as I do for you because I need the reminder and the motivation.
    All the best to you. - Maura

Maura,
    I'm VERY interested in the nutritional side of this. Up till now, I've tried hard to stick with raw fruits and veggies, whole grain products, and some lean chicken or fish daily....sometimes some dairy, as well, like yogurt sweetened with Splenda. After hearing this news, I must confess to a splurge of ice-cream, cookies, and donuts. I figure if I'm going to die anyway, may as well eat what I want! BUT, I'm over that little splurge and am ready to get back to more healthy eating. With my liver disease, my liver became completely normal and healthy with proper eating, so I am sure I can get a handle on that again. I found out today that I have an UNDERactive thyroid now, too, so not sure what the implications of that are, but we'll see what lies ahead.

I wrote my message when I was really bummed out and I'm much better today. I am SUCH a naturally bubbly, energetic, positive person that the discouragement lasted less than one full day, and I was back in my positive mode, ready to take on whatever lies ahead.

Thanks so much to all who posted a reply. It's so helpful to know that there are others who have gone before and experienced the same things.

Bonny Buffington
    HisJoy
  • CAMaura
    HisJoy said:

Maura,
    I'm VERY interested in the nutritional side of this. Up till now, I've tried hard to stick with raw fruits and veggies, whole grain products, and some lean chicken or fish daily....sometimes some dairy, as well, like yogurt sweetened with Splenda. After hearing this news, I must confess to a splurge of ice-cream, cookies, and donuts. I figure if I'm going to die anyway, may as well eat what I want! BUT, I'm over that little splurge and am ready to get back to more healthy eating. With my liver disease, my liver became completely normal and healthy with proper eating, so I am sure I can get a handle on that again. I found out today that I have an UNDERactive thyroid now, too, so not sure what the implications of that are, but we'll see what lies ahead.

I wrote my message when I was really bummed out and I'm much better today. I am SUCH a naturally bubbly, energetic, positive person that the discouragement lasted less than one full day, and I was back in my positive mode, ready to take on whatever lies ahead.

Thanks so much to all who posted a reply. It's so helpful to know that there are others who have gone before and experienced the same things.

Bonny Buffington
    HisJoy

Hi Bonnie -
    So great to hear that you are feeling better and that my post didn't send you running! If you want to, try Googling: Alpha Lipoic Acid as well as Milk Thistle; they are supplements which are excellent for the liver. Also, bitter greens such as arugula and frisee are good cleansers of toxins. And, if you are interested, Essiac herbs might be a great and easy additon; you can Google the word for info and ask at your healthfood store; the herbs are an excellent blood cleanser; I use a liquid and just mix a few teaspoons daily in warm water. Chlorella is also a good addition.....but I may be now making you a little weary from all of this.
    Please feel free to e-mail me if you would like to. And I am thrilled that you have bounced back and are ready to fight in more than one way!! All the best to you and thanks for your note.....and we all splurge in one way or another. I go out to eat with friends and dates often; sometimes I just have to mix and match and ask the chef to prepare something in a different way, but it always works out. Hang in there. Good thoughts coming your way. - Maura
  • tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767
    Hi Bonnie,

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Sorry I am late to your post.

I think the nutritional path is a great one to take. Many here have done so well with it.

I just wanted to let you know, that I have 3 children. My middle girl is 14 and severely disabled. We face so many challenges in our lives. Aren't we lucky, we get second helpings!!!

Hang in there. You'll do great.

Barb
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    HisJoy said:

Maura,

Bonny Buffington
    HisJoy

Hi Bonny!

Please do a search about Splenda (sucralose) on www.mercola.com.

This doctor has a lot of good info on it. It may change your mind about it. (hopefully)

you can find unsweetened yogurt too. :-)

Sorry about your nodule.

have you heard scouty's success with getting rid of her liver mets?

And WHO says you are gonna die now anyway? huh! huh!

peace, emily
  • HisJoy
    CAMaura said:

Hi Bonnie -
    So great to hear that you are feeling better and that my post didn't send you running! If you want to, try Googling: Alpha Lipoic Acid as well as Milk Thistle; they are supplements which are excellent for the liver. Also, bitter greens such as arugula and frisee are good cleansers of toxins. And, if you are interested, Essiac herbs might be a great and easy additon; you can Google the word for info and ask at your healthfood store; the herbs are an excellent blood cleanser; I use a liquid and just mix a few teaspoons daily in warm water. Chlorella is also a good addition.....but I may be now making you a little weary from all of this.
    Please feel free to e-mail me if you would like to. And I am thrilled that you have bounced back and are ready to fight in more than one way!! All the best to you and thanks for your note.....and we all splurge in one way or another. I go out to eat with friends and dates often; sometimes I just have to mix and match and ask the chef to prepare something in a different way, but it always works out. Hang in there. Good thoughts coming your way. - Maura

The lipoic acid and Essiac are things I have in my house right now. I had started using them, but the onc said not to mix them with the chemo, so I'm all about trying them now. My daughter-in-law is a chiropractor, but took several courses and is well-versed in alternate treatments, so she put me onto the Essiac and lipoic acid. I HAVE to eat correctly now, because my liver is so swollen that I can feel it pressing on other things and it is causing some pain and discomfort now.

I'm TIRED of the cut, burn, and poison method of treating this stuff and am more than ready to try supplements and healthy eating. It never has made much sense to me to destroy a person's immune system in order to fight a disease.

Thanks so much for your information!
    BB
  • CAMaura
    HisJoy said:

The lipoic acid and Essiac are things I have in my house right now. I had started using them, but the onc said not to mix them with the chemo, so I'm all about trying them now. My daughter-in-law is a chiropractor, but took several courses and is well-versed in alternate treatments, so she put me onto the Essiac and lipoic acid. I HAVE to eat correctly now, because my liver is so swollen that I can feel it pressing on other things and it is causing some pain and discomfort now.

I'm TIRED of the cut, burn, and poison method of treating this stuff and am more than ready to try supplements and healthy eating. It never has made much sense to me to destroy a person's immune system in order to fight a disease.

Thanks so much for your information!
    BB

I am so sorry that your liver is still impacted or swollen. It makes sense about at least the Alpha Lipoic Acid and chemo -- it is a super antioxidant and docs don't like mixing it/them with chemo drugs. Here are a couple more thoughts: I have found a fair amt of info by a Dr. Cabot regarding liver detox and liver health; she has a decent website and a little newsletter that is al least a good reminder to continue to eat well and to juice (which I cannot do daily). It is not written i n the U.S., so I haven't looked into availability of her books or anything which she wants to sell. And, I don't know if this applies to you, but I am using my Gastroenterologist much more. I had spots on my liver that needed to be categorized (nothing that my onc could really do); so, he used added untrasound testing (more definition than some CTs) and brought in a radiologist for rereading of CT scans; we are also thinking of adding an MRI instead of the next sceduled CT. I was really pleased with his consultations and efforts. Anyway, have a great weekend and know my thoughts are with you. There is juicing that is specific to the liver for cleansing-- if I am not mistaken, I think the mixture was carrot, cabbage, granny smith apple and cuke. Oddly enough, it tastes good!! I've also weeded through a bunch of people at the two different healthfood stores where I shop; finding someone motivated to help (and not just sell) is really great. Believe me, I am tired of the poison routine as well; I really hope it killed a few bad cells.....Lord knows it affected the good ones. Again, wishing you good thoughts.

All the best to you - Maura